Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Magazine publisher Condé Nast plans to bring one of its top brands to Apple's still-unannounced tablet, which one report claims has been delayed, but will offer a pricey model with an OLED screen.

According to MediaMemo, a digital version of Wired magazine will be ready by the middle of 2010 for Apple's tablet. The publisher reportedly does not even have confirmation that the long-rumored tablet even exists.

"Condé Nast CEO Chuck Townsend says his company is working closely with Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and that it has also been communicating its plans to Apple," the report said. "But Townsend made a point of saying that Apple executives themselves refuse to acknowledge that they?re actually planning a tablet: 'They?re not talking to anybody openly,' he says."

The publisher has plans to eventually create digital versions of all 18 of its titles through a new publishing form being created by Adobe called AIR. Though the software works on both Mac and PC, it is not currently compatible with the iPhone.

Despite this, the report said that the publisher intends to create magazines much like one that was released Wednesday for the iPhone: a digital copy of the latest issue of GQ magazine, available for $2.99 on the App Store.

In other Apple tablet news, DigiTimes, a Taiwanese trade publication with a hit-and-miss track record on Apple rumors, has reported that the device has been delayed until the second half of 2010. For its part, AppleInsider has been told by reliable sources that the tablet will arrive in the first quarter of 2010, a position maintained since the summer.

The new report claims that Apple plans to postpone the launch because it has decided to switch components, and will launch a second, more expensive model that will sport a 9.7-inch OLED display from LG. In addition, it said that another, 10.6-inch LCD model would be available.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Apple and LG reached a $500 million deal for the supply of flat panel displays through the year 2013. DigiTimes alleges that the agreement includes the supply of OLED displays.

The report suggests that an OLED-based tablet would cost Apple between $1,500 and $1,700 to build based on current prices, though the cost of supplies is dropping rapidly. It forecasts an OLED model costing about $2,000 at retail, with the LCD option priced between $800 and $1,000.

In August, rumors of two models and an OLED screen first surfaced, though prices were never suggested to be as high as $2,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report suggests that an OLED-based tablet would cost Apple between $1,500 and $1,700 to build based on current prices, though the cost of supplies is dropping rapidly. It forecasts an OLED model costing about $2,000 at retail, with the LCD option priced between $800 and $1,000.

At 2000.00 they might as well not even bother. There isn't anyone thats going to pay 2000.00 for any tablet. Not that I think this article is accurate, this is just someone pulling numbers out his butt.
  • Reply 2 of 153
    £2K!!! What's that in yuan.
  • Reply 3 of 153
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

At 2000.00 they might as well not even bother. There isn't anyone thats going to pay 2000.00 for any tablet. Not that I think this article is accurate, this is just someone pulling numbers out his butt.

There would be lines out the door at every Apple store with fanboys camping for days. Don't deny it. I'd have a hard time justifying it, but it would probably have some very appealing feature that would suck my wallet dry.
  • Reply 4 of 153
    Quote:

How clueless can anyone be?

Because of the form factor and the yet-to-be-known feature and functionality sets, they'll sell like hotcakes. And they'll be way out in front of any competition, as usual.

You people keep expecting Apple to produce something cheap. Get over it.
  • Reply 5 of 153
    The prices of capacitive multi-touch screens and sensors in general are still exorbitant.
  • Reply 6 of 153
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

There would be lines out the door at every Apple store with fanboys camping for days. Don't deny it. I'd have a hard time justifying it, but it would probably have some very appealing feature that would suck my wallet dry.

Right. Just like there were lines out the doors of every Apple store with fanboys camping for days when the Macbook Air was release. Please. Give me a break. There is a limit you know. At 2K, virtually no one would buy.
  • Reply 7 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Because of the form factor and the yet-to-be-known feature and functionality sets, they'll sell like hotcakes. And they'll be way out in front of any competition, as usual.

I don't know how clueless are you? There was a recent poll posted here on AI where even the most diehard Apple fans said they would pay 899.00 while others would only go as high as 699.00. No one is going to pay 2000.00 for what so far has only been hyped as an e-reader.
  • Reply 8 of 153
    Quote:

I don't expect Apple to make a cheap product, but what value does an oled screen bring? It might be thinner, but the drawbacks that are currently there don't add any value. Uneven wearing, lower light output, high cost. Yes it can do a perfect black but is that really critical for a tablet? Oled technology is not quite ready for primetime imho.
  • Reply 9 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

True. No one every accused the fayboys of having common sense. I'm not sure why anyone would pay extra for OLED technology really doesn't add any value to a tablet.
  • Reply 10 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new report claims that Apple plans to postpone the launch because it has decided to switch components, and will launch a second, more expensive model that will sport a 9.7-inch OLED display from LG. In addition, it said that another, 10.6-inch LCD model would be available.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Apple and LG reached a $500 million deal for the supply of flat panel displays through the year 2013. DigiTimes alleges that the agreement includes the supply of OLED displays.

Rumors will abound. But if anything, the so-called Mac 'Tablet' will knock our socks off. I would suggest that since Jobs is back and apparently driving the 'Tablet', it won't be just a tablet. For sure, there will be a LCD option priced between $800 and $1,000 and that works for me. However, I wouldn't be opposed to an OLED model for up to $2,000 (at current prices) wouldn't be out of line. And anybody that knows me will tell you that I will be one of the first in line to get one.

Bottom line, there is no need to dis Apple if they do provide the OLED option. I would suspect that if they did, Apple is probably the only one that could drive down the acquisition cost and thus the price to consumers.

I could well imagine seeing special mounts for any room in the house, and in-car for that matter.

Leopard/iPhone OS (including all the Leopard apps), multi-touch screen, BlueTooth keyboard/remote controls, Wi-Fi, wireless 3G, hand writing recognition, etc., that could act as a portable Mac, organizer, cell (video and/or VOIP) phone, video movie/game/music player, TV viewer, eReader, GPS navigator, web browser, etc., etc., etc.
  • Reply 11 of 153
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Adobe AIR? No thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 153
    Quote:

I don't know how clueless are you? There was a recent poll posted here on AI where even the most diehard Apple fans said they would pay 899.00 while others would only go as high as 699.00. No one is going to pay 2000.00 for what so far has only been hyped as an e-reader.

I'm restraining myself from adding other "attributes" to your profound cluelessness.

"Hyped as an e-reader"??? You believe everything you read? You seriously believe Apple would produce an e-reader? Nope. No way.

Apple and Adobe are probably tag-teaming this one, as they're approaching major publishers. So they have most likely got something pretty impressive to offer--easily surpassing the Kindles and the Nooks in power and features.

This is going to be a revolution in the publishing industry to outshine even the "desktop publishing" revolution they pulled off in the late '80s and '90s.

The new media is going to be lead by the likes of Adobe AIR, and the Apple tablets with be worthy devices to run the new media.

Maybe "your people" wouldn't pay that much, but I think most people will. The price may come down, too, as they amortize tooling costs.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Leopard/iPhone OS (including all the Leopard apps), multi-touch screen, BlueTooth keyboard/remote controls, Wi-Fi, wireless 3G, hand writing recognition, etc., that could act as a portable Mac, organizer, cell (video and/or VOIP) phone, video movie/game/music player, TV viewer, eReader, GPS navigator, web browser, etc., etc., etc.

I think users often have delusions of grandeur when it comes to Apple products only to be disappointed. There is no way a first gen Tablet is going to even come close to having all those functions.

Lets face it even the third gen iPhone needs some work when it comes to features. Also having to purchace a service contract isn't going to be all that popular when you are already paying for an iPhone contract and now paying another 2000.00 for the device. That just isnt going to fly.
  • Reply 14 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Adobe AIR? No thanks.

Indeed. We certainly don't need more Flash.
  • Reply 15 of 153
    Quote:

I'm restraining myself from adding other "attributes" to your profound cluelessness.

"Hyped as an e-reader"??? You believe everything you read? You seriously believe Apple would produce an e-reader? Nope. No way.

Apple and Adobe are probably tag-teaming this one, as they're approaching major publishers. So they have most likely got something pretty impressive to offer--easily surpassing the Kindles and the Nooks in power and features.

This is going to be a revolution in the publishing industry to outshine even the "desktop publishing" revolution they pulled off in the late '80s and '90s.

The new media is going to be lead by the likes of Adobe AIR, and the Apple tablets with be worthy devices to run the new media.

Maybe "your people" wouldn't pay that much, but I think most people will. The price may come down, too, as they amortize tooling costs.

I don't believe everything I read but the lack of information at this point is far greater then actual information. You're coming up with all these scenarios and you haven't a clue what you are talking about. We have no clue if Adobe is involved or not.

Users are not going to pay 2000.00 for a tablet.

Who are my people? Get a clue.
  • Reply 16 of 153
    Quote:

I don't believe everything I read but the lack of information at this point is far greater then actual information. You're coming up with all these scenarios and you haven't a clue what you are talking about. We have no clue if Adobe is involved or not.

Users are not going to pay 2000.00 for a tablet.

Who are my people? Get a clue.

I have a clue, and it's that Apple will shock and impress yet again with its next new product, and it will yet again shut up all you silly naysayers as the lines form at its stores.
  • Reply 17 of 153
    Quote:

Apple and Adobe are probably tag-teaming this one, as they're approaching major publishers.

Wow, you're commenting on other's "profound cluelessness" and then hypothesizing that Apple is partnering with Adobe and making a competitor's technology a key feature in their new product. Pot, please meet the kettle...
  • Reply 18 of 153
    Quote:

I have a clue, and it's that Apple will shock and impress yet again with its next new product, and it will yet again shut up all you silly naysayers as the lines form at its stores.

You may want to go back and actually read this thread. No one is a "naysayer". The fact is you don't even have a clue what the product has to offer yet your defending paying 2000.00.

Do you even know the advantages and disadvantages of OLED? Have you even seen a device that has this technology? If you can answer yes to these would you actually pay an extra 1000.00 for OLED? Because thats all you are getting for your extra 1000.00.
  • Reply 19 of 153
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous. We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300. If only APple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Its not for nothing that the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's best selling Mac- it's its small size.
  • Reply 20 of 153
    Quote:

Agreed about the numbers. half that perhaps. especially if there's 3g capabilities allowing carriers to buy and subsidize (bringing the price down to more like $500-600)

as for the dates, I have always thought that a Jan/Feb announcement with a mid summer release would make sense as

1. it would give mags etc time to create for the tablet

2. it is possible that the ATT contract will be up there and I believe that Apple will not continue an exclusive deal with anyone after the flack they got over ATT's service faults. An unlocked, optional 3g in the tablet would make more sense. and those rumors about a GSM/CDMA dual chip could be for the tablet, not the phone. thus allowing even those that would rather stick with Verizon/Sprint for their phone to tablet up without adding another service

Quote:

You people keep expecting Apple to produce something cheap.

not at all. but all the rumors position this device as in bridging the gap between the iphone and the macbook. And being Apple's answer to the netbook craze. As such a $2000 price point doesn't work. not when for half that, you can get a real computer not (as the rumors most firmly say) an oversized iphone that can also firmly be a decent ereader.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

drop the 'all the leopard apps' and you might be onto something. at this point creating a tablet that is a full computer would drive up the prices sky high. perhaps in 3-4 generations it might be that mighty but for now think netbook functions (true netbook not this mini laptop with cheap components and a tiny screen game). way more plausible.