New apps said to make iPod touch more prominent in Apple stores

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In addition to the the EasyPay iPod touch application used for checkouts, numerous Apple-created, task-specific applications are allegedly coming to Apple retail employees, AppleInsider has been told.

Apple store employees will reportedly be provided with at least three exclusive, separate applications that will accomplish a variety of tasks. One of those applications will allegedly allow employees to swap iPhones and iPods on the store floor. Previously, replacements could only be done at the store's Genius Bar.

Another proprietary application is said to assist employees who work in a store's stock room. The applications will reportedly be used to ease and simplify necessary tasks done in all of Apple's retail locations.

The Cupertino, Calif., company apparently plans to roll out all of the applications at the same time for its employees. They will be bundled with the Apple-written "Easy Touch" application that combines the software with a magnetic stripe reader and advanced barcode scanner on an iPod touch to speed credit card and cash transactions.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider gave an exclusive look at the iPod touch-based EasyPay checkout system. It is already used in some Apple stores for processing credit card, debit card and cash purchases.

Apple allegedly plans to roll out the proprietary software "very soon" across all of its stores, in both the U.S. and Europe.

The Mac maker previously used Pocket PC-based EasyPay devices for checkout, allowing any employee to act as a cashier. The clunky Windows CE-based systems drew complaints from employees about software crashes, sluggish operation, and the need to frequently reboot.

The EasyPay Touch checkout system utilizes Apple's iPod touch.

The introduction of the iPhone's 3.0 software allows applications on the device to utilize external hardware plugged in to an iPhone or iPod touch. That change paved the way for Apple to create its own point of sale system.

On the customer side, AppleInsider reported this week that Apple also plans to release a new "Concierge" application on the App Store. The software will allegedly allow anyone to view memberships and make appointments for services at retail stores, like the Genius Bar or One to One.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    now if they would sell this setup to other stores I'd never have to wait in line again.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkuhns View Post

now if they would sell this setup to other stores I'd never have to wait in line again.

I prefer waiting in line to standing about in an aisle trying to randomly catch the eye of a guy who is walking and moving around the place serving the pretty girls first. Just my opinion
  • Reply 3 of 43
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I prefer waiting in line to standing about in an aisle trying to randomly catch the eye of a guy who is walking and moving around the place serving the pretty girls first. Just my opinion

I've never found that to be the case - they seem to want to get me out of the store as quickly as possible.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    just stay close to the pretty girls
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Ya I agree there I remember one time I went in to buy me and my wife new MacBook Pros (old ones outdated) I stood around for like 30 minutes and employees would walk right by me... I would have two employees just sitting there talking to each other.. I then pulled out a bunch of cash waving saying I got money I wanna spend can I please get some help over here... A few employees looked over and went back to what they were doing... I then pulled out my cell phone called the store number and lady answered phone... I told her I been waiting for like over 45 minutes can I get some damn help now please... Finally a guy came over to help me... for my troubles though I got an extra $200 off even though was already getting a Military Discount....
  • Reply 6 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I never had to wait before with the original express checkout, the one Apple copied the concept from - you know the one that ran on Windows from Microsoft.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never had to wait before with the original express checkout, the one Apple copied the concept from - you know the one that ran on Windows from Microsoft.

Oh you mean the Windows one which was copied from the Newton?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

just stay close to the pretty girls

Isn't that close to stalking? \
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

Ya I agree there I remember one time I went in to buy me and my wife new MacBook Pros (old ones outdated) I stood around for like 30 minutes and employees would walk right by me... I would have two employees just sitting there talking to each other.. I then pulled out a bunch of cash waving saying I got money I wanna spend can I please get some help over here... A few employees looked over and went back to what they were doing... I then pulled out my cell phone called the store number and lady answered phone... I told her I been waiting for like over 45 minutes can I get some damn help now please... Finally a guy came over to help me... for my troubles though I got an extra $200 off even though was already getting a Military Discount....

This keeps coming up, but I never understood why people have so many issues paying. I'm a shy guy, but really? The employees generally don't bother you until you talk to them, which is low pressure and refreshing. When you're ready to pay all you do it walk up to ANYONE who works there and say "I need to pay." It's not enough to just look at them, "use your words mini-me!" They either help you or get someone who can and within 2 minutes you're out the door. It's really not a difficult process.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I went in to replace my iPhone headset, which was on its last legs. I picked it out and was happy to find a checkout guy with one of the new systems. Gave him my CC and he ran it... oops, it didn't read the card. So that's bad. But he said no problem and we went over to a corner of the store where there was a real CC reader. He punched something in his unit to tell it to transfer the sale to the CC unit on the table, typed an access code (just like authorizing the Remote app to control your iTunes library) and completed the transaction.

So while it worked as a whole, there was still a glitch.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Oh you mean the Windows one which was copied from the Newton?

Really? Which retail store ever utilized the Newton. Fill me in- I missed that part of tech history.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Really? Which retail store ever utilized the Newton. Fill me in- I missed that part of tech history.

because you can only steal ideas from mass marketed and utlised things.

And from your posts, its clear you missed many parts of tech history
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

because you can only steal ideas from mass marketed and utlised things.

And from your posts, its clear you missed many parts of tech history

Thanks for the non-answer.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the Apple-written "Easy Touch" application that combines the software with a magnetic stripe reader ...

I still don't understand why they went with the old fashioned "swipe" technology and the signature. Are they completely unaware that outside of the USA this is kind of old technology? it makes them look a little old fashioned, which is a weird thing to have to say about Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    I don't understand why they don't have a way to just allow me to walk in with my iPhone. Have them send me some sort of confirmation/receipt via text message and allow me to pay with my Apple account. The whole "swipe your card" tech seems to be a little lame at this point.

I'm sure there are security issues, but what if we just went online, paid for the item on the website and did a pickup at the store?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

Man, you sound like a total ass. The kind of guy that all store employees desperately try to avoid.

I bet you snap your fingers at waiters also.

I do get ignored in stores myself though and it usually comes down to my appearance. If you are wearing old clothes or "look poor" (puts hand up), you will often be ignored.

Another thing that stands out from your account, is that it seems like you were just standing there in the middle of the store waiting. It's a bit of a myth that staff actively look for customers to help, they only do that when they are not busy and even then it's hard to get them to do it 100% of the time, even at a high end place like the Apple store.

Staff look for people perusing products and people trying to engage them, standing in the middle of the store and hoping a staff member will ask if you need help is not a good way to go.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Thanks for the non-answer.

to paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi

"which is worse? The non-answer, or the non-answer that follows it"
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I've had problems getting someone to check me out when I just pick something off the shelf and want to pay for it on several occations. A line is at least a queue that serves the first comes, whereas a random gathering of people and a random gathering of store employees just doesn't cut it. There must be a better way, like have both systems in effect.

Otherwise I love my Apple Store.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I still don't understand why they went with the old fashioned "swipe" technology and the signature. Are they completely unaware that outside of the USA this is kind of old technology? it makes them look a little old fashioned, which is a weird thing to have to say about Apple.

Because they don't want to have people unable to pay for something, which costs them money.

People still swipe!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    ATTN Apple,

Please sell your POS software to retailers. Our family business/retail store is completely run on iMacs POS/CRM/Back-end/Accounting. But Apples own software would surely be optimal!