Web search statistics show Bing stagnant, Google growing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Thank you. I'm sick of it too.

and yet... here you are, 3 comments on a page you didn't want to find on AI.

what gives?

i don't mind finding articles like it here. as a mac user that almost never has to touch windows, i don't read up much on what microsoft is doing.

read the headlines first - usually that gives you a vague idea of the article's topic.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

and yet... here you are, 3 comments on a page you didn't want to find on AI.

what gives?

i don't mind finding articles like it here. as a mac user that almost never has to touch windows, i don't read up much on what microsoft is doing.

read the headlines first - usually that gives you a vague idea of the article's topic.

I also post on Apple only topics too. And there are times when I ignore the topic (both MS only and Apple only). I'm also not the only one who has an issue with MS topics being posted in an Apple rumor site. Especially this topic where Apple has NO market stance. They do not have a search engine. I can read the headline, and I knew it was an MS only article before I posted to it.

So... what is your point? You apparently commented just to yell at me when there are others here too with the same issue as me. Please respond to them too if you wish to be fair.

(Even though I say "This is unrelated to Apple", I will still offer my personal insight on the topic since it was presented.)

But what I am really sick of are the articles for purely MS bashing, like in this case. Doesn't help the "Apple Snobbery" attitude that I know Apple fans are trying to get away from. (Me, I'll bash MS, Apple, and Linux equally... I use all three on a daily basis. I will also state when any of them does something well too.)
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Once again, MS was off and in this case, by one individual letter - "a"!

Had "Bing" been called "Bang", then the act of "Binging" becomes "Banging" and MS would have at least secured the male search demographic age of 15 - 199!

And after I'm done banging, I'll squirt you with my Zune!
  • Reply 24 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    OMG-

BING has been around only since June 2009 and already has 10% marketshare as Google has been entrenched like forever. It took Apple 25 years to get that in OS.

Give it up already.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OMG-

BING has been around only since June 2009 and already has 10% marketshare as Google has been entrenched like forever. It took Apple 25 years to get that in OS.

Give it up already.

Uhm... I'm not quite following here. Are you suggesting that Apple give up since it took them 25 years to reach 10%? Web search vrs. OS is like comparing a Typewriter to a lightning strike. Both do stuff I suppose.

Now, if you mean that MS should give up on Bing, that I would agree with. I see it only hurting the company, and they could use that group of employees to work on the meat of their operation. Work on the software that runs on computers to make it better!

Please clarify what you mean here.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    I'm not surprised Bing isn't gaining ground on Google. I hate the constant "In Your Face" pop ups of Bing technology. The sooner it goes away the better.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For "the Prince" it's the other half of the same side of the same coin.

Personally I never liked Microsoft bashing. What I don't like I try to ignore. At least MS can make a friggin' mouse.

well, heck, i enjoy MS bashing. and i don't like any kind of purism.

now that we have stated our personal preferences, i suggest you simply don't read what does not interest you - nor bother to comment grumpily on it (unless being a sourpuss is what you enjoy!). AI doesn't force you to click on every or any article.

on the other hand, if the criticism is AI doesn't post enough articles these days that you find worth reading, that is certainly a valid point to assert.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Uhm... I'm not quite following here. Are you suggesting that Apple give up since it took them 25 years to reach 10%? Web search vrs. OS is like comparing a Typewriter to a lightning strike. Both do stuff I suppose.

Now, if you mean that MS should give up on Bing, that I would agree with. I see it only hurting the company, and they could use that group of employees to work on the meat of their operation. Work on the software that runs on computers to make it better!

As usual he?s trying to find any way to say Apple sucks. That is what he means. That is what he always means so making valid points are not likely. he?s also not understanding that Bing didn?t start with a 0% marketshare. That is had about 8.5% when MS switched names and that two years ago their search engine had more marketshare than they do currently.

So far, Bing has helped them gain a little back but only at the expense of Yahoo. I disagree with MS giving this up. Even at 10% they are likely to still be making a profit here. Better than their HW-based products, that?s for sure.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So far, Bing has helped them gain a little back but only at the expense of Yahoo. I disagree with MS giving this up. Even at 10% they are likely to still be making a profit here. Better than their HW-based products, that?s for sure.

Yeah, they should drop the HW-based stuff first, then the web search. Or sell off the web search to someone else, or make it a separate company. I don't see how they can make that much profit on a web search. My real point is that I'd like to see MS regain their focus on software.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

Last I checked, Apple has no stance in the web search market. So why is this here?

Anyhow, I gave Bing a go once. Took me on average 5 clicks and one re-wording to get to what I wanted. Google it was usually in the first 3 results of the first page. Bing and decide... to not use Bing!

I like competition, but sadly Bing (One syllable is easier to pronounce than two? Binging instead of Googling? I think that was part of the marketing idea.) didn't bring any competition from what I saw. M$ shouldn't try to enter into all these different markets. They should stick with OSs and Office and Servers. If they focus their resources on one good area, instead of trying to get into all these different markets, then their products will benefit. I feel they are stretching themselves too thin. Both Apple and Google need to be wary of this too as they both are oozing into other markets.

What's the default search engine for Safari? Google right?

I like Bing. It is useful on my Windows 7 systems since it is the default (too lazy to change it yet).
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

BING has been around for 5 months- you do the math.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It must really annoy M$ that they have not managed to copy another successful concept and do well for so long. The list of things they rip off and assume they can succeed with that then tank is staggering. What was their last success in a rip off? Mac OS is a long time ago I know .. was it Netscape?

Damn it they might have to hire someone to have an original thought!
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:

Yeah, they should drop the HW-based stuff first, then the web search. Or sell off the web search to someone else, or make it a separate company. I don't see how they can make that much profit on a web search. My real point is that I'd like to see MS regain their focus on software.

MS takes a lot of crap for their software and obviously does compete with Apple’s software, but they have a very different business model than Apple so doing direct comparisons are not easy. I can’t begrudge Windows for supporting so much legacy HW and SW because they have no choice. What I love about Mac OS X won’t even won’t in the Enterprise and what makes Windows successful simply won’t make me happy as a consumer.

Win7 is good for MS and their Home Server OS is pretty nice, too. Apple’s move in making iWork, which is good enough for many consumers, the open source apps and the Mac marketshare increase may have forced MS to make a much better version of Office for Mac. I’m looking forward to seeing how Outlook for Mac will work. Hopefully better than Entourage.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OMG-

Give it up already.

Uh . . . the two aren't even comparable. What on earth are you trying to say?
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Uh . . . the two aren't even comparable. What on earth are you trying to say?

Quadra, are you honestly expecting a pragmatic answer?
  • Reply 36 of 65
    this is not good news at all. google is now apple's #1 competitor.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    There is nothing "bashing" about presenting correct information.

If you have a problem with the truth "bashing" your preconceived notions, perhaps you need to consider more facts and change your worldview, rather than complain about "bashing."

Sounds like a crowd of Sarah Palin supporters all crying about her being "bashed" by Katie Couric when asked what news sources she reads. Call a waaaamulance!
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

Quadra, are you honestly expecting a pragmatic answer?

no . . .
  • Reply 39 of 65
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Oh, my God, and article of Prince/Dan bashing Windows and accusing some site of parciality.

Prince forgets to say that comScore data it's only for US and Marketshare data is from worldwide.

And he also forgets to say that comScore report not only shows core search data but all the rest who gives 6,82% to MS, 12,48% to Yahoo and 63,30% to Google.

Quote:

Prince also forgets to give a link to the report, perhaps because someone can compare with it's article?

-> My fault. I apologize for this comment, the link was in the article.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:

As usual he’s trying to find any way to say Apple sucks. That is what he means. That is what he always means so making valid points are not likely. he’s also not understanding that Bing didn’t start with a 0% marketshare. That is had about 8.5% when MS switched names and that two years ago their search engine had more marketshare than they do currently.

So now you're my interpreter? No thanks and "Apple Sucks" is not what I meant or have I ever meant. Unlike you who must have Microsoft Sucks tatooed on one of your body parts though I dare not guess which one.