Sony announces iTunes competitor for music, movies, books

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sony on Thursday revealed it intends to launch an online store to sell music, movies and books, called Sony Online Service, designed to compete with Apple's iTunes.

According to BusinessWeek, the technology giant announced the tentatively named service during a management strategy meeting in Tokyo. It noted that the store is likely to "bear some similarities" to iTunes, as the company attempts to tie it to some of its most popular consumer electronics.

Sony reportedly plans to base its iTunes-like service on the existing PlayStation Network, a free online community that allows gamers to compete and communicate with one another, as well as purchase content. PSN currently has 33 million registered users worldwide.

"Sony will try to differentiate its service from iTunes," the report said. "One example: Users will be able to upload videos shot on camcorders, save photos taken with digital cameras, and post other digital content to their personal online accounts. That's how Google's suite of Net-based services (such as YouTube video-sharing and Picasso photo site) works. At some point down the road, Sony would consider letting independent software developers create applications for the service, much the way Apple does for its iPhone."

Sony competes with Apple in a number of markets, including MP3 players, portable games, computers and living room media players. Sony's announcement comes as the company has faced a number of struggles across its many businesses. Last year, the company lost $2.6 billion.

Sony has recently changed its focus to adopt a concrete software strategy. Under the direction of CEO and Chairman Howard Stringer, the company has attempted to shift away from its low-margin hardware business.

In 2005, Sony lured Apple executive Tim Schaaff away from the Cupertino, Calif., company. He was named Sony's senior vice president of software development.

Sony recently went download-only for software on its new PSPgo, a revised version of the PlayStation Portable handheld gaming platform. Much like Apple's App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch, the system offers a library of games that can be instantly purchased and downloaded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    *yawn* . . . mighta cared like 6 years ago.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    One wonders what took them so long. Oh well, competition is always good.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Yeah... good luck with that Sony. At least you have an apt acronym for your service, SOS.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wish them well but I have a feeling this will fail. Combining iTunes Store with YouTube and Picasa is not a recipe for failure, IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    YES! And they own a fantastic catalogue from classical music to classic movies.

Now I see that this will fit in perfectly with their new WIFI HDTVs and Blu-ray machines as that access is already awaiting.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wish them well but I have a feeling this will fail. Combining iTunes Store with YouTube and Picasa is not a recipe for failure, IMO.

You're so right- The AppleTv combined iTunes with YouTube and Flickr and god knows what a disaster that's been without a TV or a Blu-ray attached to it like SOny's will have.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If you are going to download the movies directly from Sony, why would you need the Blue-ray machines?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YES! And they own a fantastic catalogue from classical music to classic movies.

Now I see that this will fit in perfectly with their new WIFI HDTVs and Blu-ray machines as that access is already awaiting.

• Reply 8 of 53
    They're really calling it "SOS"?

I thought Sony had no sense of humor. I was wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Why does many competitors feel that they have to hire Apple employees in order to compete with Apple?

They should train their own staff and forge their own way to success, not always copying and borrowing. This is bordering on idiocy.

And then you got insider-traitors like Shultz from Google and the wanna-be Rubinstein that now runs Palm. If these guys were never at Apple, they wouldn't have known how to build a smartphone based on software. I wonder what Steve Jobs really, and I mean really think of them. I bet he hates the ground they walk on.

Apple will not only survive, it will always lead. A good leader has vision. Apple is a leader.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If you are going to download the movies directly from Sony, why would you need the Blue-ray machines?

You may have just made him realize that his previous stance of" Blu-ray or the highway" was not the only viable way to access to content. Perhaps he?ll finally admit he was wrong about something.

I still reserve Blu-ray for certain films, use iTunes Store for instant stuff and Hulu for most TV Shows. There is a place for them all.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

They're really calling it "SOS"?

I thought Sony had no sense of humor. I was wrong.

Save Our Sony
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Same reason why one goes to Blockbuster rather than simply buy a DVD. There are titles to own and there are titles to rent.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Also, their last attempt at this ended well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Connect
  • Reply 14 of 53
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Sony will try to differentiate its service from iTunes," the report said. "One example: Users will be able to upload videos shot on camcorders, save photos taken with digital cameras, and post other digital content to their personal online accounts. That's how Google's suite of Net-based services (such as YouTube video-sharing and Picasso photo site) works.

i don't recall itunes ever having sold itself as a content sharing site, so as far as a differentiator that's a big whoop-de-do. apples and oranges in that respect. what else you got?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You may have just made him realize that his previous stance of" Blu-ray or the highway" was not the only viable way to access to content. Perhaps he’ll finally admit he was wrong about something.

I still reserve Blu-ray for certain films, use iTunes Store for instant stuff and Hulu for most TV Shows. There is a place for them all.

Keep misquoting me- that's a sign of your ignorance that compounds daily.

BTW on my train ride back yesterday from DC I bought Fortune's Man of the Decade issue. Very thorough- there must be 4 to 5 different articles on Steve Jobs and Apple.

So sorry though that you won't be reading it as you and the mouse both keep insisting that we don't know when this decade ends and should wait until December 2010.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Also, their last attempt at this ended well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Connect

I've given up trying to keep track of all the media store wannabes over the years.

What's not mentioned is the form of DRM they plan to use to ensure this iteration's failure.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Isn't this Sony's second attempt? Sony Connect?
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Isn't this Sony's second attempt? Sony Connect?

Like the second coming of Newton we keep hearing about lately- no?
  • Reply 19 of 53
    There market is shifting in this direction. This is a smart move for sony to make. If they wait much longer they will simply be left behind.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Hmm... let's see: Making massive losses (incl. in their core LCD TV business), losing market share, downsizing/retrenching SonyEricsson (who announced just yesterday that they are laying off 2500 people), unable to deliver e-readers in time for Christmas, hoping for a return to profitability by March 2011 (with a measley 5% profit margin goal),....

Apple is DOOMED!