AT&T faces setback in legal battle over Verizon ads

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Apparently, AT&T understands how to be cool just about as well as Microsoft. That ad is lame. It doesn't help that they prove Verizon right by talking about their "3G experience" rather than what people care about: 3G coverage.

People want their phones to work. Dropped calls and spotty coverage are things that don't work.

I agree that AT&T?s ad misses the mark while Verizon?s ad hits the bull?s eye, but I disagree with your implication that people only care about coverage. I care only enough that my area is covered. After that I want speed and reliability. I don?t care if AT&T isn?t blanketing dairy farms across the US. In fact, I want them to focus on getting the populated areas with better performance and reliability first. Cows can use dial up for all I care.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

wrong. vzw had a blackberry plan for $30 when the iphone came out. the other PDAs were a different story. i worked for vzw and they very much had it.

And what part of that makes my comment wrong? I have no knowledge of this BB unlimited data plan for $30 but I clearly wrote " $40-50 were still the most common rates?, not $40-50 were still the only rates."
  • Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you're incredibly wrong. what happens if you are on the internet is it cuts the data connection off and allows the call to go through. its how its always been and always will be til LTE.

please never post again and save us the trouble of correcting you.

Only if you active data connection is idle. If you are downloading data, you WILL NOT GET A CALL because they don't want to interrupt your data xfer. You can't say otherwise; I worked for Verizon smartphone support and have to tell this all the time to people when they get VM notifications while browsing and not calls.

Suck it loser.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Only if you active data connection is idle. If you are downloading data, you WILL NOT GET A CALL because they don't want to interrupt your data xfer. You can't say otherwise; I worked for Verizon smartphone support and have to tell this all the time to people when they get VM notifications while browsing and not calls.

Is this part of the protocol for data so that it never gets interrupted or does the app/device have to request that a potential call go directly to VM so it doesn?t interupt a download? I can see how both would work for different environments. For example, like a pulling data for a website should not trump a potential call, but an actual downloaded file, like from mail should not be interupted.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this part of the protocol for data so that it never gets interrupted or does the app/device have to request that a potential call go directly to VM so it doesn’t interupt a download? I can see how both would work for different environments. For example, like a pulling data for a website should not trump a potential call, but an actual downloaded file, like from mail should not be interupted.

From what I understand, it's done on the network side. Basically the device receives a command to drop the data connection to answer the phone. It won't send it if the network sees you are busy with downloading data. Hence that is why later when the next opportunity comes, you get the VM notification.

Granted, this is rare when it happens; that is why when people complain about it, as in, why am I not getting calls in, they are fairly upset.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe so but then again, Verizon didn't have the iPhone which changed the ballgame in so far as lots of people using mobile data goes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Granted, this is rare when it happens; that is why when people complain about it, as in, why am I not getting calls in, they are fairly upset.