Hack re-enables Atom processor compatibility for Mac OS X 10.6.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

I wouldn't consider using the terminal to copy the old kernel a "complicated hack." Check out mydellmini.com, if you can follow directions you can do the "hack."

I wouldn't consider using the old kernel actually using 10.6.2 either though, (or a good hack, or even a good idea).

It seems to me that this development might have been what Apple wanted all along. Their agreements say that you can't use OS X on non-Apple branded computers, but they were much happier, and their argument was much stronger when the architectures were also different. The fact that people have to hack the kernel to make it work makes it all the more obvious that it was never *intended* to work in that environment.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

OS X on Atoms is only a portion of the big problem being OS X on PC's.

Obviously the sort of hardware change that needs to occur to lock OS X to Apple hardware can't be easily be emulated in software or hardware without considerable expense and substantial performance loss that very few, if any, commercial cloner's or home hacks will undertake.

This clearly doesn't work as Apple has a huge base of installed systems that such a change would be incompatible with. I suppose they had the opportunity when they originally switched to x86 from PPC, but they didn't take it, presumably because it's not as simple a proposition as you make it sound.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html

Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support regarding pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same manner as posts that directly ask for pirated software.

This issue is with this link in the AI article, which gives instructions on how to "obtain(ing) pirated or illegally-distibuted software."

http://www.macworld.com/article/1439...atom_hack.html

I might be wrong, but in light of recent events, what counts as warez/piracy discussions (with links to help), and what doesn't?

Hackintoshes require neither pirating or illegal distribution of software, so I doubt the link causes any problems. This isn't to say that there aren't people out there who obtain pirated copies of OS X and install it on their hackintoshes, just that there are lots of people who purchase the retail copy and install it.

Hackintoshes do require violating Apple's EULA, a separate issue. This is likely a problem in the US, but there may be many countries where Apple's EULA is invalid for whatever reason.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

... the portability which Apple has failed to offer. Apple tried to convince people that they really wanted thin as in MacBook Air - the public responded differently.

As long as you've been in this forum you have pushed this same crap over and over again that the Air is some kind of flop even though multiple people have pointed out how wrong you are about that.

You don't like the Air, a lot of people might not like it, but that's irrelevant against the fact that an absolutely huge number of people do like it, bought one, and love it to death. The Air is a very popular computer that sells very well. It has made a pile of cash for Apple and has been a gigantic success for them. These are the facts, regardless of what your personal feelings are.

It's a sign of insanity when someone is constantly presented with facts that they then don't believe. Global warming is real, Alien Abductions are not, and the MacBook Air is a very popular computer that sells well. Get used to it and stop spreading the FUD.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As long as you've been in this forum you have pushed this same crap over and over again that the Air is some kind of flop even though multiple people have pointed out how wrong you are about that.

You don't like the Air, a lot of people might not like it, but that's irrelevant against the fact that an absolutely huge number of people do like it, bought one, and love it to death. The Air is a very popular computer that sells very well. It has made a pile of cash for Apple and has been a gigantic success for them. These are the facts, regardless of what your personal feelings are.

It's a sign of insanity when someone is constantly presented with facts that they then don't believe. Global warming is real, Alien Abductions are not, and the MacBook Air is a very popular computer that sells well. Get used to it and stop spreading the FUD.

Gigantic success? HA!!!!

Where is your link to that FUD?

When was the last time you even saw a MacBook Air advertisement?
  • Reply 26 of 105
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

This implies that selling an Atom hack requires an extended commitment to help purchasers upgrade each time a new version of OS X comes out. This is a huge hassle, and no one would be able to make any money doing it.

And perhaps equally important is that it would force such vendors out into Apple's legal spotlight.

It's impossible to know, both because Apple is a secretive company and also since it would not be in their interests to admit it even if true, but it seems unlikely that the relatively small community of hackintoshers is really on Apple's radar. I'd see it as the computing equivalent of "Don't ask, don't tell." It's even arguable that Apple's benefits from it being seen that people will jump through some substantial technical hoops in order to use OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple is a hardware company.

Oh please, not those tired old arguments again.

Apple is not a hardware company. Apple is not a software company.

Apple sells a total computing experience whose value, for which Mac users pay a not inconsiderable price, lies in the tight integration of hardware and software. Neither one of those works without the other to support Apple's business model. Over the years Apple has refined their expertise in doing this to a very high level, making it hard for others to replicate.

There are of course other business models, but who wants to jump into the snake pit with Dell, Lenovo, Acer and dozens of others?
  • Reply 27 of 105
    Quote:

And exactly where do you buy a Mac 7- 10" form factor?

It's not for nothing that this size has been selling so well besides being cheap- people like the size, the portability which Apple has failed to offer. Apple tried to convince people that they really wanted thin as in MacBook Air - the public responded differently.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple doesn't differentiate between its portables when reporting profits, so it's likely that neither of these positions can be substantiated, though if either of you have a real reference I'd like to see it. I have a first generation Air and I've never really been happy with its crappy Intel graphics, but I love its look and feel. I expect the 9400M versions are sweet.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Gigantic success? HA!!!!

Where is your link to that FUD?

FUD! Where is the link to YOURS!?
  • Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Apple doesn't differentiate between its portables when reporting profits, so it's likely that neither of these positions can be substantiated, though if either of you have a real reference I'd like to see it. I have a first generation Air and I've never really been happy with its crappy Intel graphics, but I love its look and feel. I expect the 9400M versions are sweet.

That first generation is basically a portable typewriter though it looks and feels amazing.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    Quote:

That first generation is basically a portable typewriter though it looks and feels amazing.

Well, it's a bit better than that I use it for software development and the processor isn't bad for things like emacs, mail, and compilation. It really chugs with video decoding though, any kind of HD video is unwatchable.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    Quote:

Sure. I'm sure you have used one [\\sarcasm]
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Sure. I'm sure you have used one [\\sarcasm]

Yes I have - how did you know?
  • Reply 33 of 105
    Quote:

FUD! Where is the link to YOURS!?

I wouldn't doubt most people even know what a MacBookAir is.
  • Reply 34 of 105
    Quote:

Yes I have - how did you know?

And you still could not tell the difference between it and a typewriter! Wow you are dumber than your posts reflect. You must really think them hard! Kudos for that
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:

I wouldn't doubt most people even know what a MacBookAir is.

But no link... pity. You lost this argument here.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Because Apple does not offer such a great Mac, which is as light as possible, as small as possible, with video-out and USB 2 and Intel Atom.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

And you still could not tell the difference between it and a typewriter! Wow you are dumber than your posts reflect. You must really think them hard! Kudos for that

sigh

the first macbook air was very unique, however, which its size came small limitations on the hardware due to power consumption. beyond email, typing up docs, and basic internet, the video card power lacked... A LOT. video stuttered, and was very choppy.

im pretty sure he knows the difference in a typewritter and a macbook air. the difference is, and i think what he was trying to make, is that the first gen air wasnt really good for much more than typing.
  • Reply 38 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

sigh

the first macbook air was very unique, however, which its size came small limitations on the hardware due to power consumption. beyond email, typing up docs, and basic internet, the video card power lacked... A LOT. video stuttered, and was very choppy.

im pretty sure he knows the difference in a typewritter and a macbook air. the difference is, and i think what he was trying to make, is that the first gen air wasnt really good for much more than typing.

thank you for doing my spoon feeding to the underling

I just don't have the time or patience
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

sigh

I bet he couldn't come up with a retort himself...

oh the irony! A helpless troll.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

And exactly where do you buy a Mac 7- 10" form factor?

It's not for nothing that this size has been selling so well besides being cheap- people like the size, the portability which Apple has failed to offer. Apple tried to convince people that they really wanted thin as in MacBook Air - the public responded differently.

Absolutely right. We want a light and small Mac. The MacBook Air is too heavy and too large. See the UMID and Viliv out there (315 g and pocketable!).