Steve Jobs e-mails terse response to upset Apple developer

Comments

• Reply 81 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

What does John expect from Steve? Changing the name of a product is not like asking them to ceasing making it and want a chunk of money from them. That said, if it's not that "big of a deal" why bother suing the small company?

The trademark holder has a responsibility to enforce their trademark: if Apple knowingly allows someone else to tread on their trademark, without some sort of agreement (from which Apple has to benefit), then they lose the right to enforce that trademark against anyone else, too.

In other words, if you don't defend yourself against one infringement (which you know about, or should reasonably be expected to know about), then you lose the trademark. Given the value of the iPod trademark, it's reasonable that Apple takes that pretty seriously...

Quote:

You can sue people for using "ipod" in a product name that aren't even a direct competitor

... if they're not a direct competitor, then they have to be in the same business area.

Lexus/Nexus, for example, was unsuccessful when they sued Toyota for their Lexis brand, because the judge decided that cars don't have aren't in the same market as information.

Music players and music file encoding software, though, sounds like a shared market to me!
  • Reply 82 of 219
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I've written him over the years about various things that I thought were very important and has written me back on a few occasions. So it's not so unheard of..
  • Reply 83 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post

Being a multi-billionaire, you'd think he could buy an apostrophe.

Milti-billionaires don't need apostrophes.
  • Reply 84 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I love how Jobs’ reply is so succinct while the original comment is so verbose trying to get Jobs to relate to him and/or see him as some sort of equal.
  • Reply 85 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love how Jobs? reply is so succinct while the original comment is so verbose trying to get Jobs to relate to him and/or see him as some sort of equal.

It is pretty funny, but pretty much any response anyone ever received from an executive of Steve's level, even internal, would be every bit as brief and to the point. I often wonder how Steve decides what email to even read, or if there is a certain criteria for email being forwarded to him. Or maybe he's just that much a masochist...
  • Reply 86 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Steve Jobs has really devolved into an asshole -- a fuckhead to the highest degree.

I really can't wait until there's a real competitor to Apple. Apple and Steve Jobs have become arrogant little pricks.

A preemptive fuck you to anyone that disagrees with me. Yes, that means *YOU*.

Whatever gave you the idea he was ever anything but? He is and always will be an asshole. Why do you think he was booted from the company that he founded? It wasn't because he gave everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling. But with that said, his maniacal behavior and assholiness has turned Apple into what it is today. Obviously Apple couldn't make it with someone that was less of an asshole. Trust me most CEOs are ass hats of the nth degree and Steve Jobs isn't the worst, not by a long shot. He's just one of the more visible and notorious CEOs. Take any tobacco or oil corporation, now those CEOs are grade 'A' assholes. They deal death and don't blink and eye, now that is a true asshole.

PS. My advice don't take it so personal--I mean unless you worked long hours for him and came up with an idea that made the company successful while you just earned a salary--then you have a right to be angry.
  • Reply 87 of 219
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It is pretty funny, but pretty much any response anyone ever received from an executive of Steve's level, even internal, would be every bit as brief and to the point. I often wonder how Steve decides what email to even read, or if there is a certain criteria for email being forwarded to him. Or maybe he's just that much a masochist...

I would wager he dictated the response to an underling hence the missing apostrophe if this story is to be believed at all.
  • Reply 88 of 219
    Quote:

I love how Jobs? reply is so succinct while the original comment is so verbose trying to get Jobs to relate to him and/or see him as some sort of equal.

Unlike your diatribes which go on and on and ............ Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • Reply 89 of 219
    Change your company's name. Not that big of a deal.

The Beatles
  • Reply 90 of 219
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Change your company's name. Not that big of a deal.

The Beatles

winner of !!!!!!!! BEST POST OF THE DECADE

I AM syealing this for my sig right now

>>>>> lostplay bows to f00bar <<<<
  • Reply 91 of 219
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Unlike your diatribes which go on and on and ............ Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

hey i like his diatribes there so... so .. so infor...

<<clunk>>

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

<< loud snoring sounds occur >
  • Reply 92 of 219
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs has really devolved into an asshole -- a fuckhead to the highest degree.

I really can't wait until there's a real competitor to Apple. Apple and Steve Jobs have become arrogant little pricks.

... And you know this about him because you have met him and know him or just by what you see on t.v. and the internet.
  • Reply 93 of 219
    Quote:

"Equality" has nothing to do with it. It's an open and shut case of trademark infringement. If Jobs tried to appease the guy at all, he'd be obliged to do so with every yayhoo that came along. He simply doesn't have the time for such jibber jabber. As it was, his terseness served the dual purpose of not granting too much credence to such inappropriate requests, and to send out the broad message that such will be the handling of any similar petitions. He's also not the appropriate person to officially handle such requests, as he doesn't have the authority to grant that kind of permission even if he were sympathetic with the guy's situation.
  • Reply 94 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The e-mail reportedly read:

Change your apps name. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

I myself dropped out of school recently to pursue a path in the Mac software industry, and you yourself have been a consistent inspiration for me.

Something ironic about the fact that the high school dropout wrote with better grammar than the CEO of major corporation.
  • Reply 95 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

hey i like his diatribes there so... So .. So infor...

<<clunk>>

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

<< loud snoring sounds occur >

LMAO!!! Hysterical
  • Reply 96 of 219
    he writes like people talk
  • Reply 97 of 219
    Quote:

I think we know who the arrogant little prick is. Yes, that means you!
  • Reply 98 of 219
    If anybody ever thought his debacle with NeXT or his life-threatening cancer and transplant operation, or even just getting older, would make him a better, more compassionate human being... I guess the answer is NO. He's still the same flaming asshole that ripped off his best friend and never felt any regret about it, a man who will crush someone's life as if they were a gnat without even a second thought, just because he doesn't like the color of their tie.

He may have brought Apple back from the brink of death, but he sure is a douche on a galactic scale.
  • Reply 99 of 219
    I would have changed it to..... "i Ripod" or "i Rippod". or even "iRip-pods"
  • Reply 100 of 219
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hm, if it's not that big of a deal, Steve, then why is Apple asking for the name change in the first place? \

It's not that big of a deal, right Steve? Right?? Steve??? Not that big of a deal????? Hello?? Can anybody hear me??? Not that big of a deal Apple??? So why the fuss Apple???? Steve????? Can we say, "hypocrisy?" Apparently it is a big deal to Apple, so why belittle it Stevieboy? Steve??? It's a bid deal for Apple???? Right??????? Steve?????? You there?

If you knew anything at all about trademark protection, and it's obvious you don't, you would understand that Apple is obligated by law to vigorously defend its trademark in all known instances, or risk losing that same trademark. They have no choice in this matter so before slamming Apple please take the time to learn the f*****g facts instead of using your lame wit to look half assed funny.