Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models

Comments

• Reply 201 of 222
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

How do you deal with glare? Did you put the anti-glare stickers?

i never noticed the glare until you guys brought it up 8 million times
  • Reply 202 of 222
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    Does anyone know if the new imacs support dual monitors... that is, can you attach a second monitor to expand your desktop the way you can with the mac pros (not in mirror mode)?
  • Reply 203 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sasa View Post

Does anyone know if the new imacs support dual monitors... that is, can you attach a second monitor to expand your desktop the way you can with the mac pros (not in mirror mode)?

My 2008 iMac does it, so I wonder why the late 2009 wouldn't.
  • Reply 204 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sasa View Post

From http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html:

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display"
  • Reply 205 of 222
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pajp View Post

From http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html:

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display"

So a 23" Cinema Display would work with the proper cable?
  • Reply 206 of 222
    I received my i7 this morning, ordered 11/11/09, shipped 11/19/09, received 11/23/09. Have it set up but haven't turned it on yet.

I ordered a 400-->800 firewire cable from Monoprice that was supposed to have shipped 11/16 but I still haven't received it. I had hoped to start by using Setup Assistant to transfer everything from my old TiBook. I guess I'll have to use Migration Assistant later.
  • Reply 207 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I received my i7 this morning, ordered 11/11/09, shipped 11/19/09, received 11/23/09. Have it set up but haven't turned it on yet.

I ordered a 400-->800 firewire cable from Monoprice that was supposed to have shipped 11/16 but I still haven't received it. I had hoped to start by using Setup Assistant to transfer everything from my old TiBook. I guess I'll have to use Migration Assistant later.

Is that your only option? What about using Time Machine?
  • Reply 208 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that your only option? What about using Time Machine?

No Time Machine backup.

As the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

I remembered I had an old LaCie 400/800 FW external drive that no longer spins up but the firewire connectors worked fine. I ran an FW 800 cable from the drive to the iMac and a 400 cable to the TiBook and was home free. Setup Assistant took about 1:05 to transfer maybe 62GB of material. Everything came across fine except that the iTunes application was corrupted somehow. Downloading a new copy fixed that.
  • Reply 209 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

In theory.
  • Reply 210 of 222
    Shipped! Yippeeee! Today Nov 25. Earlier than Dec 1. Says can expect delivery Monday.

Now I'm praying FedEx handles oh so gently. Want a perfect iMac i7.
  • Reply 211 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

And we're thinking the proper cable would be one with a Mini DisplayPort connection?
  • Reply 212 of 222
    Today I received my new 27" i7 iMac, ordered on November 8th, and shipped to Helsinki, Finland. It works great and looks great.
  • Reply 213 of 222
    iMac i7 arrived yesterday FedEx, everything great!
  • Reply 214 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

iMac i7 arrived yesterday FedEx, everything great!

How fast compared to Core 2 2008 ?
  • Reply 215 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

How fast compared to Core 2 2008 ?

A great deal faster.
  • Reply 216 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

A great deal faster.

With CS4 too ?
  • Reply 217 of 222
    I am giving a 27-inch imac to my kids for Christmas, and have the remote from my old G5 iMac.

Does anyone know if I'll need to get a new remote or can use the old one with this new iMac?
  • Reply 218 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by youngsota View Post

Does anyone know if I'll need to get a new remote or can use the old one with this new iMac?

The white remote works, too. The new one is just metal with an extra button.
  • Reply 219 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The white remote works, too. The new one is just metal with an extra button.

do you happen to know what is the function of the extra button?
  • Reply 220 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by youngsota View Post

do you happen to know what is the function of the extra button?

It just moves the Play/Pause out of the center but the center button is still a button, which I think still acts the same way. Regardless, it?s not necessary to buy.