Steve Jobs e-mails terse response to upset Apple developer

Comments

• Reply 141 of 219
    .. .. ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

ofcoruse it doesn't

some people have no sense of self worth and value hence they become hipsters and "crazy ones"; you know the ones that think different

i don't see how this calls for a value judgment. People make their living in various ways.

when you cater to 5% of the market instead of 95% and growing, you already need to have your brain checked out

that 5% is the most profitable segment of the market. Apple is brilliant to have captured that. And people are smart to cater to it.

not sure where you're getting this "95% and growing" figure. If anything, apple's segment is the one experiencing substantial growth. Record mac sales, all the mindshare, recession-proof, etc.

but hey, there is a sucker born every minute

some of those suckers are raking it in. Because the rest of us gladly pay for quality and see lasting value in what "the crazy ones" have produced and stand for.

• Reply 142 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hm, if it's not that big of a deal, Steve, then why is Apple asking for the name change in the first place? \

It's not that big of a deal, right Steve? Right?? Steve??? Not that big of a deal????? Hello?? Can anybody hear me??? Not that big of a deal Apple??? So why the fuss Apple???? Steve????? Can we say, "hypocrisy?" Apparently it is a big deal to Apple, so why belittle it Stevieboy? Steve??? It's a bid deal for Apple???? Right??????? Steve?????? You there?

No answer! Steve's iPhone must be down, out of commission, no bars, no signal, dropped call because the cellular carrier HE said Apple would chose and fit their needs was AT&T (Cingular).

Not counting the sig, Steve's email is 10 words long, and you still misread it.

He said that changing the name was not that big of a deal. He did not say their using Apple's trademark was not a big deal. Clearly, it is.
  • Reply 143 of 219
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Okay I must be missing something that you all are seeing...

- "Steve Jobs e-mails terse response to upset Apple developer"

This headline taken at face value would have the reader believe:

1. Steve Jobs send a terse e-mails terse response to a developer

2. The developer got upset AFTER reading the email (terse e-mail) Steve sent to him

First I'm not sure Steve's one-liner qualifies "Change your apps name. Not that big of a deal." but that point could be argued I guess...

So now we need to see the developer getting all pissed off over it, instead we see this: "In response, The Little App Factory changed the name of their software to iRip, avoiding any potential legal issues with Apple."

So maybe I'm just not getting it but where's the developers PISSED OFF reaction to Steve's message? Was it simply that he changed the name and moved on with his life? Cause to me that doesn't seem all that pissed off to me...

Anyone wanna show me what I'm missing?
  • Reply 144 of 219
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Another poster who does not understand the legalities of trademark protection. Please look it up and educate yourself on the subject first so you will not look like an idiot when you post ... we already have TechDud for that.

Quote:

You can say the same about anyone with a trademark .... but then, you only have an axe to grind with Apple, ... I forgot.

Quote:

In the wonderful world of the internet, nobody is necessarily what they claim to be, no matter how many posts they have. One thing you might be sure of is their hatred of someone/something by the continuing type of drivel they spread. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ..... you know?

Quote:

Posting incomplete and misleading info an any website is wrong, but don't let that stop you ... it never has before.

Quote:

TechDud, from reading your posting history, you have me convinced you know nothing about anybody or anything.

dear mr newbee

dude please

you need professtional help with you anger problems . Honest no bad intent meant at all .

i worry about what your home situation is like to cause your heated/attacking posts here all the time

look these things always have a way of working them selves out.

so no worries ok

please calm down here and be one of us ,

thank you

peace

peace

• Reply 145 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

..... out right attacks on teckstud . These attacks are un provoked in full .

Based on my reading of the back-and-forth between newbee and teckstud: (i) The attacks seem to go both ways; and (ii) They did not seem unprovoked, in the least (at least, not to me).

Poor teckstud -- he must be quite pleased and relieved to have you, as a fellow New Yorker, stand up for him.

Based on the thousands of postings I've read of his, I think that he seems to be quite content to be dishing it out to everyone else, but has a bit of a thin skin when it comes to being being able to take it. Not unlike a trait I have often seen in my travels to the Big City (which, btw, I happen to think, is the greatest city on earth).
  • Reply 146 of 219
    " "What's the big deal about a name change?" It seems like Apple Corp could have asked Steve Jobs that same question 30 years ago, when the shoe was on the other foot. Funny how the Brits were a bit more descent in their handling of such matters than Jobs has been. So much for "pass it on" from the supposedly "oh so liberal" Mr. Jobs. "

And as for Job's reply... Funny how a few billion dollars turns a skinny kid who wanted to "change the world" and make it a better place for "the rest of us" into a rude hypocrite.
  • Reply 147 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Based on my reading of the back-and-forth between newbee and teckstud: (i) The attacks seem to go both ways; and (ii) They did not seem unprovoked, in the least (at least, not to me).

Poor teckstud -- he must be quite pleased and relieved to have you, as a fellow New Yorker, stand up for him.

Based on the thousands of postings I've read of his, I think that he seems to be quite content to be dishing it out to everyone else, but has a bit of a thin skin when it comes to being being able to take it. Not unlike a trait I have often seen in my travels to the Big City.

Good points and your history with teckstud goes way back .So i heed your voice .

Except may I please qualify what my point is in finer detail.

I am not defending teckstud

He has pushed so many buttons that many people have gotten in the habit of logging on >>slamming him << and then logging off. leaving the thread in disarray,

These constant un-provoked attacks on TS is not fair to ALL OF US .

whether TS responds or not isn't the real point ./ teckstud is known for making wild controversial statements all the time .Admin is very happy with him because TS adds many eyeballs for the $ad people . The real point my friend is people have to grow up and ignore TS or address his post's , BUT >>>> do not get personal with him or anyone .

My post concerns neebee who seems to want to only visit here and vent his anger. at people . I illustrated that above with 7 off topic posts in a row .

and yes i have very thin skin at times

sorry about the other day .

final thoughts are why can't we debate stuff with out fighting and calling names ??

peace 9
  • Reply 148 of 219
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So you and iStud are both stalking me now? Think I can handle it?

Based on your showing an inability to handle only one of us, I think not.
  • Reply 149 of 219
    I love all the retards hating SJ for this. Why don't you losers read up on Intel and them suing anyone with Intel in their name, even when they didn't sell or deal with anything electronic? Or how they wanted to trademark the letter "i"?

What you expect, him to finger type a 5 paragraph response on his iphone? The guy has better things to do, like, uh, work on his mythical tablet.
  • Reply 150 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davey-nb View Post

I say just try the obvious:

[email protected]

I believe I used [email protected] when I e-mailed him. One of his assistants called me the next day regarding the problem. I was extremely fatigued by a litany of issues that I had with a particular desktop system and the person from corporate that called to resolve it (despite the computer being outside of an Applecare warranty) 100% took care of the situation.

After that experience, I can't say I trust or respect any company more than Apple.

I tried calling Dell for support in 2005 after buying an XPS Laptop that had several failing components and they kept telling me that my system was listed in their database as stolen (I bought it brand new from them) and that I would have to contact a department that was only open 2 or 3 hours out of the day to get that flag removed (and was being operated by people who could barely speak a lick of English). After a month of wasting my life on the phone with those idiots, I ended up ordering the replacement parts from a highly specific laptop specialty store and fixing the damn computer myself. I'll never buy, recommend, or work on another Dell for the rest of my life. They are on notice.
  • Reply 151 of 219
    What an arsehole.

The kind of response you'd get from Сталин.
  • Reply 152 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

.. .. ...

Over 96% of the world have rejected Apple and Steve Jobs' idea of computers. No matter how you spin it, only 5% of the world which includes Apple fanboys are hipster enough to bend over and get charged twice by Apple. Over 90% of the world are smarter than that

Sure Apple has had record sales. When you start with low sales, it easier to make records. If you sell 2 computers today and 4 tomorrow, that's 100% improvement although it is sill a low number

When it comes to the world of computers,everyone is Microsoft's bitch. Even Jobs had to beg Microsoft for $150M back in 1997 so Apple wouldn't collapse

Stay with that 5% becuase over 85% of you Apple fanboys are still in need for Windows. When it's time for real work and not playing with iChat, you use Windows

PS: Even CERN (European Laboratory for Particle Physics) which is doing the most sophisticated physics experiments are using Microsoft Windows. They are some of the worlds brighest minds and they have chosen the real deal; the OS that works and it is Windows. However if you are a designer that dresses like a woman, then Apple is for you
  • Reply 153 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

I believe I used [email protected] when I e-mailed him. One of his assistants called me the next day regarding the problem. I was extremely fatigued by a litany of issues that I had with a particular desktop system and the person from corporate that called to resolve it (despite the computer being outside of an Applecare warranty) 100% took care of the situation.

After that experience, I can't say I trust or respect any company more than Apple.

I tried calling Dell for support in 2005 after buying an XPS Laptop that had several failing components and they kept telling me that my system was listed in their database as stolen (I bought it brand new from them) and that I would have to contact a department that was only open 2 or 3 hours out of the day to get that flag removed (and was being operated by people who could barely speak a lick of English). After a month of wasting my life on the phone with those idiots, I ended up ordering the replacement parts from a highly specific laptop specialty store and fixing the damn computer myself. I'll never buy, recommend, or work on another Dell for the rest of my life. They are on notice.

[email protected] =>[email protected], [email protected] => [email protected] all get managed and filtered.
  • Reply 154 of 219
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Well everyone is swooning over a email from Steve Jobs and here I go and contact him personally about the glossy screen issue and he responds with a 15" matte screen MacBook Pro in like two weeks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Awesome, thanks for getting Apple to bring back the matte option!

I though teckstud brought matte back!!
  • Reply 155 of 219
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Generally speaking, I think it is kind of weak for someone to use someone else's product name in his/her product especially if the two are somehow related. It might be good for marketing but still indicate lack of creativity. I don't mean this developer in particular, I mean in general.
  • Reply 156 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

s) . However if you are a designer that dresses like a woman, then Apple is for you

you wear womens underwear >>ok
  • Reply 157 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

" "What's the big deal about a name change?" It seems like Apple Corp could have asked Steve Jobs that same question 30 years ago, when the shoe was on the other foot. Funny how the Brits were a bit more descent in their handling of such matters than Jobs has been. So much for "pass it on" from the supposedly "oh so liberal" Mr. Jobs. "

And as for Job's reply... Funny how a few billion dollars turns a skinny kid who wanted to "change the world" and make it a better place for "the rest of us" into a rude hypocrite.

Very Well Put. I don't know what makes people change like that.

But I know one thing about it, I sure as hell don't like it! Not on, very sad indeed.
  • Reply 158 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisj2110 View Post

Very Well Put. I don't know what makes people change like that.

But I know one thing about it, I sure as hell don't like it! Not on, very sad indeed.

How exactly is it "well put” when it’s a load of BS. You people with your anti-competitive, hatred for the free market is fraked up. Let’s use our thinking caps for a second and compare some of the key differences…
    • Apple Corps sued Apple Computers several times over the name use so his altruistic Brit theory is now shattered.

• Apple Corps took money from Apple for the name use in a settlement.

• The word Apple existed long before either company existed, while Apple invented the term iPod thereby getting full rights to the word..

• iPodRip is an app to get files of an iPod, Apple Computers was a completely different type of business from Apple Corps with absolutely no crossover at the time.

• Apple didn’t sue the makers of iPodRip, they threatened to sue the if they didn’t change their name.

• Reply 159 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Were I SJ, I wouldn't probably be able to answer that...

I would be able to answer it. BUT in a less terse and abrupt way than he did.

It is people like us, Who develop for, and BUY Apple products that made Steve Jobs rich, if it were not for guys like this developer, and us, he would be just an anybody. he is not a "supreme being" like some people seem to treat him as.

And thats besides the point, I would have sent it from my desk, and took the time to sort it out with the other party in a less "de-humanised" way, I behave that way. I think that enough developers have disappeared from iPhone development lately, and that, (just pulling out) is what I call in my books being less nicer about it.

Apple needs to sort this out quickly, and to stop alienating customers and developers.
  • Reply 160 of 219
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Actually they use Red Hat Linux.

"All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux."

Source:-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10059911-76.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

PS: Even CERN (European Laboratory for Particle Physics) which is doing the most sophisticated physics experiments are using Microsoft Windows. They are some of the worlds brighest minds and they have chosen the real deal; the OS that works and it is Windows. However if you are a designer that dresses like a woman, then Apple is for you

Sorry everyone, my bulls&%t detector sometimes overrides troll feeding.