QuickTime Player in Snow Leopard ... Slow!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

Over the weekend I installed Snow Leopard, and generally I am impressed with it.

But, QuickTime Player X has let me down a bit.

I do like the new user interface, but is seems very choppy when playing videos:

- that fill the screen (but not in full screen mode)

- that are in full screen mode and I turn on the horizontal stretch feature to make a 'square' video fill the whole screen.

Has anyone else noticed this?

In addition, with Perian installed, opening large FLV videos in QTX seems to make QTX hang until it has fully loaded. QT7 didn't do this.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    There are also several features from QT7 Pro that didn't make it to QTX .... specifically, most editing functions. Thank god SL allowed us to keep QT7 !!!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

I do like the new user interface, but is seems very choppy when playing videos:

- that fill the screen (but not in full screen mode)

- that are in full screen mode and I turn on the horizontal stretch feature to make a 'square' video fill the whole screen.

What is your hardware and did this happen before the upgrade? You can install Quicktime 7 and see if it's a problem with QTX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

In addition, with Perian installed, opening large FLV videos in QTX seems to make QTX hang until it has fully loaded. QT7 didn't do this.

In your system preferences > Quicktime, are your streaming settings set to use instant on? If not, try that to see if it makes a difference.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Hey guys, let me lay this on you. I'm just thinking out loud now:

as I expect OSX.6.2 in a couple weeks I think that may be my cue to install SL. But I like to play it safe. So what's the worst that can happen? That I regret it, of course. And wish I were back on OSX.5.8. Well, I could restore that with TimeMachine, couldn't I? I've got a good set of backups, and the Leopard DVD, after all!

Doesn't that sound like a plan? Or is there a flaw in my thinking?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quicktime X isn't bad for playback on my system, but it's missing much of the functionality that Quicktime 7 had. What is the status of Quicktime X with regard to updates and added functionality? There's no way Apple can say Quicktime X is anywhere near completed with a straight face.

I've noticed something that's rather irritating. Why is it that I can download a movie preview from Apple's website in HD720 and go to save it with the Save As feature, using Movie in the drop down menu, and then Quicktime forgets that it just downloaded the movie and chooses to go download it again to save it? What's that all about? It makes no sense.

Hopefully the Quicktime X team is just getting started and will give us some very much needed additional functionality in future point releases of Snow Leopard. As it is, it's like it was only half done when it was released.\
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In your system preferences > Quicktime, are your streaming settings set to use instant on? If not, try that to see if it makes a difference.

Considering there is no system preference for Quicktime in Snow Leopard this doesn't help. \

I will say that some program do have a quirk where they try to call directly to Quicktime and produce really slow results. Personally I just use SWF & FLV Player and bypass Quicktime completely when I have to load flv files.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Quicktime X isn't bad for playback on my system, but it's missing much of the functionality that Quicktime 7 had. What is the status of Quicktime X with regard to updates and added functionality? There's no way Apple can say Quicktime X is anywhere near completed with a straight face.

I've noticed something that's rather irritating. Why is it that I can download a movie preview from Apple's website in HD720 and go to save it with the Save As feature, using Movie in the drop down menu, and then Quicktime forgets that it just downloaded the movie and chooses to go download it again to save it? What's that all about? It makes no sense.

Hopefully the Quicktime X team is just getting started and will give us some very much needed additional functionality in future point releases of Snow Leopard. As it is, it's like it was only half done when it was released.\

Apple does not add features to the APIs in dot releases of Mac OS X because developers don't want to target "10.6.7". At WWDC Apple stated they consider QuickTime X to be a work in progress, and won't have all the features of classic QuickTime for several releases of Mac OS X (10.7 will add more, and then 10.8 will add even more). They took this approach with a lot of features that were from Mac OS 9 and missing in Mac OS X. For developers and users, it sucks big time, but that's Apple's way.

As to the OP, I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro 15" 2.66GHz C2D with a GeForce 8600M GT. It's noticeable worse than Leopard.