Time Capsule....using Airport Extreme As Extending The Range? Problems

whmwhm
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Received my TC on monday and replaced my old Airport Extreme (802.11g) as the base station. Installed and successfully accomplished my first back up. My former wireless network used 2 Airport Express to extend my range and I had full signal anywhere in my house. Now my PROBLEM

Since the TC is (802.11n) "faster", I thought I would replace my 2 Airport Express with a new Airport Extreme which is also (802.11n) to achieve the fastest speed possible. By having the AP Express (g) on the network the whole network will work at that speed. I purchased a new Airport Extreme on the way home last night and tried for hours to connect it to my network to work like my 2 Airport Express to extend my network, thinking I would have a faster network being completely (802.11n). NO SUCCESS. Does the Extreme have to be connected via the WAN via cable. I assumed it work work just like an Express but so far cannot make that happen. Idea was SIMPLE. TC hooked up to DSL cable via modem....upstairs where the dedicated fast DSL cable comes into house. Program Extreme as extender and locate downstairs to spread coverage, if it has to be hooked to cable whole plan does not work !!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I got my Capsule Friday and swapping it for the Extreme that I was using. I also had an Express downstairs for network extend and printing. The Express could be configured to join the Capsule network but upon restarting it would vanish. Many attempts. Finally decided to use the Extreme to extend and print. Both devices on "n" networking. It works, but fails.

Often the network goes dead - user is connected to Capsule network but only the Extreme can be seen in Airport utility. No networking (4 Leopard laptops - MBP, MB and two iBook G4's). A laptop on the same table will see both Capsule and Extreme. Spent some hours on Saturday and Sunday with Apple Tech Support - it was agreed this is an interesting problem.

Finally nuked the Extreme and am just running the Capsule for entire network. May use the Extreme as a bookend and the Express as a wrist exerciser.

Waiting for a software update, or a miracle, or a functional spell (Wingardium Leviosa)...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Hi whm,

Over a year after your post, I encounter the same problem, with a TC and a brand new Airport Extreme. I need to do exactly the same thing you described, and the same that wonfuji describes as well.

Have you had any luck in the past year? Any tips you can share if there was a solution? I already spent a number of hours on this - no luck.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whm View Post

Received my TC on monday and replaced my old Airport Extreme (802.11g) as the base station. Installed and successfully accomplished my first back up. My former wireless network used 2 Airport Express to extend my range and I had full signal anywhere in my house. Now my PROBLEM

Since the TC is (802.11n) "faster", I thought I would replace my 2 Airport Express with a new Airport Extreme which is also (802.11n) to achieve the fastest speed possible. By having the AP Express (g) on the network the whole network will work at that speed. I purchased a new Airport Extreme on the way home last night and tried for hours to connect it to my network to work like my 2 Airport Express to extend my network, thinking I would have a faster network being completely (802.11n). NO SUCCESS. Does the Extreme have to be connected via the WAN via cable. I assumed it work work just like an Express but so far cannot make that happen. Idea was SIMPLE. TC hooked up to DSL cable via modem....upstairs where the dedicated fast DSL cable comes into house. Program Extreme as extender and locate downstairs to spread coverage, if it has to be hooked to cable whole plan does not work !!!!!

• Reply 3 of 10
    My similar setup...

TimeCapsule (first router... connected to DSL modem) settings:

Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network

Channel: Automatic

Connect using: Ethernet

Radio Mode: 802.11n only (5 GHz)

Airport Extreme (secondary. network extension router) settings:

Wireless Mode: Extend a wireless network

Connect using: Wireless Network

Wireless Network Name: (enter name of network created on first (TC) router)

checkmark in box: Allow wireless clients

Now, I've also got an Airport Express (g only) etherneted into the second Airport Extreme... it broadcasts a separate "G only" network and sends AirTunes to the stereo.

The two "N" Airports are only connected to each other wirelessly, and the stay on "N" speeds, as they are set to not accept non-N clients. Also allows me to stream HD video between the two routers with no hiccups! The two are recognized throughout the house as a single network though. (My separate "G" network is supplied by a third Airport Express.)

Feel free to ask for any other specific settings and I can look them up... it took me most of an evening to get mine set up right, but it's worked flawlessly for more than a year since then.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I have the exact same setup and I couldn't believe how easy the install was and it has been working flawlessly.

Try listing some troubleshooting steps you've done and explain, exactly, what isn't working.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Do you mind diagramming your setup?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

My similar setup...

TimeCapsule (first router... connected to DSL modem) settings:

Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network

Connect using: Ethernet

Radio Mode: 802.11n only (5 GHz)

Airport Extreme (secondary. network extension router) settings:

Wireless Mode: Extend a wireless network

Connect using: Wireless Network

Wireless Network Name: (enter name of network created on first (TC) router)

checkmark in box: Allow wireless clients

Now, I've also got an Airport Express (g only) etherneted into the second Airport Extreme... it broadcasts a separate "G only" network and sends AirTunes to the stereo.

The two "N" Airports are only connected to each other wirelessly, and the stay on "N" speeds, as they are set to not accept non-N clients. Also allows me to stream HD video between the two routers with no hiccups! The two are recognized throughout the house as a single network though. (My separate "G" network is supplied by a third Airport Express.)

Feel free to ask for any other specific settings and I can look them up... it took me most of an evening to get mine set up right, but it's worked flawlessly for more than a year since then.

• Reply 6 of 10
    I can try.... wish me luck.... sorry it's so huge.

• Reply 7 of 10
    VERY similar question. About to replace a 500GB TC. Don't want to complete retire it. Planning to migrate the backups to a new TC, but wanted to still use the 500 as an external drive and an airport to boost signal. Any reason to think this configuration won't work?

Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fibber View Post

VERY similar question. About to replace a 500GB TC. Don't want to complete retire it. Planning to migrate the backups to a new TC, but wanted to still use the 500 as an external drive and an airport to boost signal. Any reason to think this configuration won't work?

Thanks!

Will work.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jazoojazoo Posts: 1member
    Since I have the exact same question as fibber above, can someone explain me (us) how to setup the retired 500 as a wiresless range extender? I want to use the retired 500 to boost the signal without having to use an ethernet cable. For the moment it only joins my network and is not working as a signal booster...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    For the primary router...

somewhere within the set-up options in Airport Utility there is a checkbox for "Allow this network to be extended"... it must be checked. (wording might not be exact)

For the secondary router...

You'll find an option to "Extend a wireless network" somewhere in the setup... i think in a pull-down menu.

After you select that, you'll be able to enter the name of the network you wish to extend, check "Allow wireless clients", and select the same security protocol.

Then upload the new settings and re-start everything.