Iraq is next

Comments

• Reply 21 of 157
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>

Rednecks and Republicans only? Wow, so nobody but rednecks and Republicans actually want us to retaliate for the 9-11 attacks. That's amazing.

Do you have any idea what would happen if we left the terrorists to their own designs and did not retaliate? It has already happened, 9-11. We have been letting them bomb us then slapping their hands for years. I should not have to name the litany of terrorist attacks. This has to stop, and the diplomatic sanctions and so forth are not helping. So the only thing left is to destroy the networks that carry out the attacks. Show me a better solution that does not make the US look like a soft target to those who would be perfectly happy dropping a nuke in YOUR back yard if they had one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are those people who want to bring Al Qaeda and its supporters to justice, the people who are right.Then there are the people who go around shouting we should bomb them all, calling the whole of Islam and middle east "terrorists" because they're too dumb to tell the difference, the rednecks and hardcore republicans.
  • Reply 22 of 157
    [quote]Originally posted by roger_ramjet:

<strong>

Bigot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No offense but that doesn't mean much from someone who thinks Islam is the same as Bin Laden and who sees this entire campaign as revenge for the crusades.
  • Reply 23 of 157
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Anyone else find it ironic that more western journalists have been killed in Afghanistan than western troops? They weren't kidding about it being a media war.
  • Reply 24 of 157
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Oracle, care to point out any instance of this supposed redneck anti-Islam trogolodyte in this thread on "this site"?

Or are you the only one with overpowering prejudices?
  • Reply 25 of 157
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by macoracle:

<strong>

There are those people who want to bring Al Qaeda and its supporters to justice, the people who are right.Then there are the people who go around shouting we should bomb them all, calling the whole of Islam and middle east "terrorists" because they're too dumb to tell the difference, the rednecks and hardcore republicans.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Trying to justify your bias does not change the fact that you are wrong and over-simplifying the issue. Sure there are rednecks and republicans saying that all Islamic people are terrorists, but there are just as many Democrats, African Americans, Hispanics, Etc, saying the same thing. It is not a question of Party Politics or Upbringing as it is a questions of mental laziness. Like someone who broad brushes a group as mentally lazy with nothing but his own bias and the bias of other to back him up.
  • Reply 26 of 157
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Speaking of blacks (sorry, but African American is a horrible term), polls have shown that blacks support racial profiling in regards to terrorism.

They don't like "Driving While Black" but they like "Flying While Brown".

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 157
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

Anyone else find it ironic that more western journalists have been killed in Afghanistan than western troops? They weren't kidding about it being a media war.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]They don't like "Driving While Black" but they like "Flying While Brown".<hr></blockquote>

Well glad to see some people are still able to smile...
  • Reply 28 of 157
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Oracle, care to point out any instance of this supposed redneck anti-Islam trogolodyte in this thread on "this site"?

Or are you the only one with overpowering prejudices?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Come on, that is just weak.

There are what? 3? 4? threads on this subject already. Were you reading them? You were at least commenting...

I would love to hear who I am prejudice against though?
  • Reply 29 of 157

<strong>Well glad to see some people are still able to smile...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It wasn't an attempt at humor. I was pointing out the irony - hence my use of the word "ironic".
  • Reply 30 of 157

<strong>

No offense...</strong><hr></blockquote>

In order for me to be offended I'd have to respect your opinion. I don't.

[quote]<strong>... but that doesn't mean much from someone who thinks Islam is the same as Bin Laden and who sees this entire campaign as revenge for the crusades.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In order for you to glean these ideas from my posts you must have been reading them in braille. I never said or implied anything of the sort but little details like that don't seem to bother you too much.
  • Reply 31 of 157

<strong>

It wasn't an attempt at humor. I was pointing out the irony - hence my use of the word "ironic".</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then maybe you should ask Santa for a dictionary before you start using big people words. Ironic means funny in a way that something is typical.
  • Reply 32 of 157

<strong>Then maybe you should ask Santa for a dictionary before you start using big people words. Ironic means funny in a way that something is typical.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd go have a good look in a dictionary yourself.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 157
    Double post

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: NoahJ ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 157
    [quote]In order for me to be offended I'd have to respect your opinion. I don't.<hr></blockquote>

I don't think that needed any pointing out. You seem to have the same thing with everyone that doesn't agree with you.

I guess...here it comes....

"If you're not with us, you're against us."

I'm sorry but in order to have an discussion you must be able to not become personal.

Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean I think you're a total idiot. I bet, if we talk long enough we'll find something that we can agree on. Politics is obviously not one of them.

Ah well, I guess I'm just a lot better than you for seeing that.
  • Reply 35 of 157

<strong>

I'd go have a good look in a dictionary yourself.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I may not be too hot a speller but at least I know what the words that I use mean.

Anyhoo, if you can't handle a dig, don't start throwing them around.
  • Reply 36 of 157

<strong>Then maybe you should ask Santa for a dictionary before you start using big people words. Ironic means funny in a way that something is typical.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sheesh, getting a bit testy there. Could be funny as in Strange, not funny as in HA HA. (what you've never seen SNL?) Funny how you missed that definition and its funny little nuances.
  • Reply 37 of 157
    [quote]<strong>Originally posted by macoracle:

I may not be too hot a speller but at least I know what the words that I use mean.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh dear, I didn't want to have to get so literal, but here we go...

Irony is "the use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning."

..."ironic" does not mean "funny in a way that something is typical." It can, however, be used to comic effect.

[quote]Anyhoo, if you can't handle a dig, don't start throwing them around.<hr></blockquote>

I was neither handling a dig nor throwing one... merely suggesting you check a dictionary.

[Edited for accursed UBB problems.]

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 38 of 157

<strong>

I don't think that needed any pointing out. You seem to have the same thing with everyone that doesn't agree with you...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Again, you apparently haven't read very many of my posts. And yet you make these "shoot from the hip" kind of judgements. This is why I don't respect you.
  • Reply 39 of 157
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Iraq= next week
  • Reply 40 of 157
    beerbeer Posts: 58member
    [quote]All wars have always been for selfish reasons.<hr></blockquote>

Well, duh. Maybe you should sit down and think about the repercussions of an altruistic foreign policy. But then again, that requires thinking, and 'feeling' is so much more important, right?

And not everyone here on these boards who supports the war are 'rednecks' or republicans. The fact that you need to stuff everyone who opposes you into some asinine stereotype is inherently linked to the above question.