Apple iPhone eats up 50% share of all mobile data traffic globally

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Would we be looking for another source had Apple purchased AdMob or would you feel equally skeptical using AdMob as a means of measuring global mobile data traffic?

Google is an advertising company. Having them own advertising reporting companies is a tad more unnerving than a hardware/software company doing same.

At any rate, hypothetical questions about what we would think or do if "Apple did it" are the hallmark of the insufferable dickweed.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder if using their main web page and first three pages of their PDF report to go into granular detail on the fortunes of Android and RIM, complete with nice big pie charts and some narrative cheerleading, while relegating Apple to an unremarked and much reduced status on subsequent PDF pages (this despite the fact that one would think that a 50% global traffic share might inspire a passing mention by a mobile ad tracking company) counts as "bending over backward."

I did not read it that way at all. They're focusing on the biggest changes, which are a 44% drop for RIM, and dramatic gains for Android (and within that, a lot of traction for Droid, apparently). Apple's going from 43% to 50% is viewed as less spectacular.

But your observation says, "let's wait and see how objective they are," and I agree with that.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any stats on browser engine type? Between iPhone, Symbian, Android and BB OSes it looks like the top 4 are dominated by WebKit based browsers, though I know Symbian has other options available.

I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of Symbian users stick to the default WebKit option. Browsers like Opera and SkyFire are available but never pre-installed, unlike on WinMo where Opera is fast becoming HTC's default browser.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince McLean

including Sony Ericsson's XPERIA X10, which has the Droid's screen resolution but which uses the older operating system version of HTC phones.

FYI, the XPERIA X10 is shipping with Android 1.6 but will be upgradeable to Android 2.0 as soon as it's available to non-Google experience devices.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Those UK figures really don't surprise me. The iPhone was the first phone I was aware of over here that gave you unlimited data. Before that you had to pay a fortune to go online through a mobile over here, and was really putting people off. I don't know how many other phones offer that sort of data plan, but knowing the networks here, not many I would have thought.

As an example; Orange who have just been allowed to sell the iPhone here does have a data cap. OK it's 700MB, but it's still there. Other than signal, I can't see why you would choose Orange over O2 at the moment. Prices are about the same. The major differences come down to data. O2 - unlimited, Orange - 700MB/month. Tethering, O2 - £15, orange - £4(ish).
  • Reply 25 of 54
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new report also comments on second place Symbian and the fifth place Windows Mobile, without making any detailed comments about the iPhone and iPod touch at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

And these numbers don't even include iPod Touch users.

Did either you or Daniel actually read the report, they actually split the iPod touch out in their figures, so this data must include wi-fi access
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:

AdMob included a mid-November look at Android traffic, which shows that the Droid captured 24% of all traffic within a couple weeks of being on sale.

That can't be right-- 24% of all Android traffic or 24% of all smart phone traffic? Either way, it is pretty impressive, but I can't imagine Verizon wouldn't be having problems if their total data usage went up 30%.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

Google is an advertising company. Having them own advertising reporting companies is a tad more unnerving than a hardware/software company doing same.

At any rate, hypothetical questions about what we would think or do if "Apple did it" are the hallmark of the insufferable dickweed.

So having one company report on how its phones are doing is worse than having another company report on how its phones are doing? Both have vested interests regardless. He was just pointing out another posters bias.

On topic: If mobile is indeed the way of the future, hopefully we'll see more iPhone compliant (i.e. non-flash) websites. Good job with IE finally supporting HTML5. It's been a long time coming... but change is gonna come
  • Reply 28 of 54
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    It's not "mobile data traffic", it's "mobile AD traffic" and it's skewed toward iPhone an Android because those are the two platforms where in app ads exists.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

Apple's slice of mobile data traffic has grown to now exceed 50% share in the US, UK and in global figures, according to the latest monthly mobile data traffic report by AdMob.

So according to AdMod, they

Quote:

AdMob serves Graphical Banner and Text Link ads on mobile web pages for more than 15,000 mobile sites and applications. AdMob has served more than 100 billion ads since launching in January 2006. For each ad served, AdMob leverages handset and operator data, which enable demographic, device, and operator targeting for advertisers.

Quote:

For every ad request AdMob analyzes information available in the user’s mobile browser. From this, AdMob determines device capabilities and more using open source tools and a variety of proprietary techniques. The result is a snapshot of the devices viewing the more than 10 billion monthly ad requests and impressions that flow through AdMob’s network. We believe this data will be valuable in identifying and tracking trends, evaluating market readiness and more. AdMob also serves mobile ads into iPhone and Android applications. The traffic from these applications is included in the Metrics report.

There is no standard industry definition of a smartphone. AdMob's defintion is based on Wikipedia: "A smartphone is a phone that runs complete operating system software providing a standardized interface and platform for application developers" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone). AdMob classifies a phone as a smartphone when it has an identifiable operating system and we continually update our list as new phones enter the market. Despite running the iPhone OS, the iPod touch is not a phone, and thus not considered a smartphone based on this definition.

So they are only tracking ads in a small subset of webpages, and some applications, so not really a true representation of "mobile data". And their applications are only iPhone and Android, again, not a true representation of mobile application use. And then they say they don't count the iPod Touch, but they include it in their reports, which one is it?

Maybe you could form some trend from it, but I'm not sure how useful that trend actually is
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And then they say they don't count the iPod Touch, but they include it in their reports, which one is it?

They don't count iPod Touch as smartphone, they count it as a handset, page 8 of the pdf report.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Windows Mobile dropped from 5% to 3%.

Now who's a rounding error?
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

They don't count iPod Touch as smartphone, they count it as a handset, page 8 of the pdf report.

Which means they are counting wi-fi, which doesn't really count as mobile data
  • Reply 33 of 54
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

This shows how the recent news about France going multi-carrier with the iphone and seen market share going to 40% of smartphones in France --- totally bogus.

If the iphone is having a 40% market share in France --- then their traffic would be near 100%.

The two numbers you quote are not related the way you describe. You need to factor that into your analysis. AdMob measures hits from devices. The 40% is a quarter over quarter increase of sales and not installed base. If anything the Admob data shows trend in usage which can help in determining trends in sales but to say that since Apple had 40% of the French sales in the 3rd Qtr equates to 100% of the web traffic to AdMob network is a big stretch.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

So having one company report on how its phones are doing is worse than having another company report on how its phones are doing? Both have vested interests regardless. He was just pointing out another posters bias.

On topic: If mobile is indeed the way of the future, hopefully we'll see more iPhone compliant (i.e. non-flash) websites. Good job with IE finally supporting HTML5. It's been a long time coming... but change is gonna come

Yeah, but it's not a report on how respective phones are "doing", it's a report on ad hits. As such, it has bearing on ad revenue and placement, which is far more significant for Google than Apple.

I'm not accusing Google of bias, mind you, and I agree with the poster that pointed out that they will no doubt be extra careful about keeping the figures above board, given the obvious conflict of interest.

Mostly just responding to the implication that a given poster would question Google in this while giving Apple a free pass, because that idea in this case is a) tiresome, and b) missing the point.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

I'm not accusing Google of bias, mind you, and I agree with the poster that pointed out that they will no doubt be extra careful about keeping the figures above board, given the obvious conflict of interest.

AdMob result has been biased before Google acquired them because they count in app ads (only iPhone and Android) but they state clearly the metodology so you can count that fact and they are honest.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

AdMob result has been biased before Google acquired them because they count in app ads (only iPhone and Android) but they state clearly the metodology so you can count that fact and they are honest.

I originally read that as "count in-app ads only" and was going to respond to that, but I see what you mean.
  • Reply 37 of 54

I have seen your edit
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:

I have seen your edit

Yes, I am secretly an idiot.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:

Yes, I am secretly an idiot.

Nooo, I have changed my post because I have seen your edit, my answer was innecesary because you have understood my poor writing
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:

Nooo, I have changed my post because I have seen your edit, my answer was innecesary because you have understood my poor writing

I think the fault lay in my reading, to tell you the truth. And a bit of an itchy post finger.