AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Monday night will debut new ads that tout the ability of the iPhone to browse the Web and handle calls at the same time, as AT&T this weekend continued to expand its advertising campaign that aims to "set the record straight" about its coverage.

Apple's two new TV spots show off the iPhone receiving e-mails and checking movie times while on a phone call. AT&T's UMTS/GSM network allows simultaneous voice and data connections, which Verizon's CDMA network does not.

According to BusinessWeek, the two ads will debut Monday evening during the shows "House" on Fox, "Dancing With the Stars" on ABC, and "How I Met Your Mother" on CBS.

The advertisements represent an indirect entry by Apple into the ongoing spat between Verizon and AT&T. In a series of holiday ads, Verizon has suggested that the iPhone is held back by an inferior 3G network.

The e-mail ad begins with a business-related scenario, portraying a situation where a caller is on a phone call with a client who asks, "Did you see my e-mail?" Apple of late has made progress in the enterprise market with the iPhone, despite its lack of a physical keyboard being perceived by some as a disadvantage for business users.

In addition, a pair of new AT&T commercials were in heavy rotation over the weekend, with actor Luke Wilson returning to state that AT&T's cell phone coverage reaches 97 percent of all Americans. The ad acknowledges Verizon and its recent attacks from the start.

"Recently Verizon has been making a big deal about maps," he says, standing atop a coverage map of the U.S. "I'm here to set the record straight."

Wilson then begins going through a list of cities where AT&T has coverage, represented by postcards he begins to rifle through. The first 30-second spot fades out with the actor and spokesman continuing his list.

As it aired over the weekend, the commercial would return later in the break with a second 30-second spot for "part two." Wilson eventually becomes visibly exasperated as the list of cities continues to mount. "I think we get the picture," he says, throwing postcards into the air.

Last week, AT&T debuted its first ad with Wilson in response to Verizon's claims. The commercial debuted as AT&T was hit with a setback in its lawsuit against Verizon over the competitor's "There's a map for that" ads. AT&T had hoped to have the commercials pulled from the air, but a federal judge denied that request.

Unlike the first ad with Wilson, the two-part "Postcards" spot that premiered over the weekend does not focus on 3G coverage. Instead, it simply speaks to cell phone coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 220
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The TV stations running the ads must be loving this fight!
  • Reply 2 of 220
    Just fix the network, AT&T. You might have coverage for where 97% of Americans live, but that doesn't do much when you keep dropping calls-- that is where Verizon really gets the ammo from!
  • Reply 3 of 220
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Ummm, what do any of these commercials have to do with AT&T's lackluster 3G coverage/service? Seems like they're skirting the issue... AGAIN!
  • Reply 4 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Ummm, what do any of these commercials have to do with AT&T's lackluster 3G coverage/service? Seems like they're skirting the issue... AGAIN!

They're skirting one issue but bringing up another, equally important issue. Not being able to do voice and data simultaneously is a major shortcoming of the Verizon network IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 220
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Sorry to be nitpicking, but the GSM system cannot handle simultaneous data and voice-calls (with or without EDGE).

However, the UMTS system (i.e. AT&T:s version of 3G) can, whereas Verizons version cannot.

Still, it's fun to see Apple join this "fight" and do it by pointing out the advantages with the iPhone and UMTS instead of badmouthing the competition.
  • Reply 6 of 220
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    As a response ad, these are pretty good. They change the terms of the argument to AT&T's forte.

And the human touch and production quality of the ads are far better than Verizon's cold and digital animation style.
  • Reply 7 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

They're skirting one issue but bringing up another, equally important issue. Not being able to do voice and data simultaneously is a major shortcoming of the Verizon network IMO.

I agree. I didn't realize that you couldn't do both on Verizon. This feature has come in handy plenty of times for me when using my iPhone. I just wish AT&T wouldn't drop my phone calls so often. I must admit that I've seen improvement from AT&T. My signal doesn't switch to the slower EDGE network all the time like it use to when I first got my iPhone last August.

The downside of AT&T having a smaller 3G area is when traveling. It took me forever to download an iTunes Album when I was driving from Jacksonville, FL to Savannah, GA because of the lack of 3G coverage between the cities.
  • Reply 8 of 220
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Too much, too little, too late- the damage has been done.
  • Reply 9 of 220
  • Reply 10 of 220
    ... I guess they just weren't meant to be. Decent attempt by Apple, but from what I've seen it's pretty hard to defend AT&T. On to the next round.
  • Reply 11 of 220
    Luke's looking a slight bit overdone ..Love the Verizon ads; a benefit to us all.
  • Reply 12 of 220
    Obviously, the title of your autobiography?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too much, too little, too late- the damage has been done.

• Reply 13 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

New AT&T Ads....the second is actually effective.

Not even Kris Kringle and the Winter Warlock singing "Put One App in Front of the Other" can reverse the damage Verizon has wrought.
  • Reply 14 of 220
    I travel through Montana and Bozeman a lot. Coverage there is HORRIBLE. I often can't connect to the internet, and for some strange reason my time gets set an hour off. Bozeman is not a great example of ATT's "superior" network.
  • Reply 15 of 220
    Once Apple enters the battle with their own ads, it's game over for whoever is on the receiving end.

I mean, Verizon's attempts are already cancelled out by the fact that they don't offer the iPhone, and now it's about to get worse for them.
  • Reply 16 of 220
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

Sorry to be nitpicking, but the GSM system cannot handle simultaneous data and voice-calls (with or without EDGE).

However, the UMTS system (i.e. AT&T:s version of 3G) can, whereas Verizons version cannot.

True, its UMTS (which is the blue 3G coverage area map) that allows for this. For all intents and purposes, it's the AT&T 3G network.

And it's quite the feature, IMO. I do this at least twice a week; looking up which band is playing where while talking to a friend to decide where to go out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

Still, it's fun to see Apple join this "fight" and do it by pointing out the advantages with the iPhone and UMTS instead of badmouthing the competition.

Because you can't do voice and data simultaneously via EDGE (the white area in the blue 3G coverage area map), this would be a loser ad for Verizon. But you are right, Apple can run this kind of ad with near impunity. And it'll be a loser for Verizon to counter, because it'll only point out what their network can't do (because their red 3G coverage are map is largely the EVDO A network they bought when they took over Alltel).

Frankly, the back-and-forth is starting to take on a political campaign quality to it.
  • Reply 17 of 220
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    AT&T had to leave it to Apple to make an ad that sells their network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It?s an advert. They aren?t skirting any issue, they aren?t even acknowledging it. All companies and all products have pros and cons to suggest that a company should take it?s 30 seconds to say how it?s inferior to its competition is asinine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

New AT&T Ads....the second is actually effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwBHqa6lZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioSntkD8lE

The one on ?two phones? is better as they are now focusing on a single feature that they offer that Verizon doesn?t but it?s still ineffective overall. Verizon?s ads are concise and to the point.
  • Reply 18 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Once Apple enters the battle with their own ads, it's game over for whoever is on the receiving end.

Oh did Apple's OS share jump above 50%- am I missing something here?

What happened to the MacBook Air ads? Was that a game killer too?
  • Reply 19 of 220
    ....now I bet they wished they hadn't.

Apple and AT&T have just started to tell the rest of the world what only a few techies knew: Verizon can not support simultaneous voice and data. OUCH.

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.
  • Reply 20 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh did Apple's OS share jump above 50%- am I missing something here?

What happened to the MacBook Air ads? Was that a game killer too?

Macs are not the same as hendhelds. Totally different price points, different markets, etc.

And you know this, Teck.

Until Verizon has the iPhone, or until people actually care about the Android, it's just another loser carrier. The device makes the carrier. Verizon has just about as much influence in the matter as Bill O'Reilly at a Million Man March.