AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

Comments

• Reply 21 of 220
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

Sorry to be nitpicking, but the GSM system cannot handle simultaneous data and voice-calls (with or without EDGE).

However, the UMTS system (i.e. AT&T:s version of 3G) can, whereas Verizons version cannot.

Still, it's fun to see Apple join this "fight" and do it by pointing out the advantages with the iPhone and UMTS instead of badmouthing the competition.

@ Jason

Verizon uses CDMA for voice and EVDO rev A for data which is also called CDMA2000. ATT and Tmobile are the big US GSM carriers. The 3G standard ATT uses is W-CDMA(UMTS). Technically the CDMA2000 standard also can support simultaneous voice and data but Verizon never upgrade their network to the Rev B standard and instead will roll out LTE for the higher data rates.
  • Reply 22 of 220
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Macs are not the same as hendhelds. Totally different price points, different markets, etc.

And you know this, Teck.

Until Verizon has the iPhone, or until people actually care about the Android, it's just another loser carrier. The device makes the carrier. Verizon has just about as much influence in the matter as Bill O'Reilly at a Million Man March.

Well I had no idea you were only talking iPhone mobile ads ( I take that back) but still you're basing the assumption on iPhone's record not the ad itself.

Verizon needs to stop its own hemmorahging and it seems to be effective based on the ad alone. We really won't tell until next quarter end.
  • Reply 23 of 220
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

....now I bet they wished they hadn't.

Apple and AT&T have just started to tell the rest of the world what only a few techies knew: Verizon can not support simultaneous voice and data. OUCH.

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.

does it really matter if you can do both at the same time when your phone drops calls all the time?

personally, a phone is the most important feature when thinking about the mobile area. if it cant be that first and do it quite well, then its a moot point as to what else it can do.
  • Reply 24 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

They're skirting one issue but bringing up another, equally important issue. Not being able to do voice and data simultaneously is a major shortcoming of the Verizon network IMO.

Pretty much a mute point though when your calls get dropped in a continuous basis and are able to connect to data via 2G. Phone is still suppose to be a phone first, so the major issues still reside with AT&T.

BTW. I live in one of those 3G areas that AT&T claims they have covered, and looking at my phone right now, it points directly to EDGE.
  • Reply 25 of 220
    Today's MDN Take:

Verizon's wiseassery is going to backfire. The general public was unaware that Verizon's network was incapable of allowing simultaneous voice and data communication; now, with Apple in the equation, everyone and their mother will soon know.

Spot on.
  • Reply 26 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

Sorry to be nitpicking, but the GSM system cannot handle simultaneous data and voice-calls (with or without EDGE).

However, the UMTS system (i.e. AT&T:s version of 3G) can, whereas Verizons version cannot.

Still, it's fun to see Apple join this "fight" and do it by pointing out the advantages with the iPhone and UMTS instead of badmouthing the competition.

That's exactly their problem, point out what the iPhone can do rather than what the network can do. They better face it now before the iPhone is no longer just theirs.

Funny too how AT&T is misleading people about apps in their commercials. Anyone else catch that?
  • Reply 27 of 220
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh did Apple's OS share jump above 50%- am I missing something here?

What happened to the MacBook Air ads? Was that a game killer too?

Don't think their OS share jumped 50% but then. If I compare the stock price OTH Appl vs MSFT I can tell you which I would have wanted

• Reply 28 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Today's MDN Take:

Verizon's wiseassery is going to backfire. The general public was unaware that Verizon's network was incapable of allowing simultaneous voice and data communication; now, with Apple in the equation, everyone and their mother will soon know.

Spot on.

How do you actually do both simulltaneously on that small screen anyway? just curious. Speaker phone- Is that what we're talking here?
  • Reply 29 of 220
    So exactly why is the iPhone's lack of a physical keyboard a problem for business users? Because they're spastic? Because they can't handle anything that's even slightly new? What???
  • Reply 30 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

does it really matter if you can do both at the same time when your phone drops calls all the time?

Apple and AT&T have just started to tell the rest of the world what only a few techies knew: Verizon can not support simultaneous voice and data. OUCH.

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. I can dial into conference calls AND share data/presentations at the same time (check out Cisco's WEBEX App).

No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.
  • Reply 31 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Just fix the network, AT&T. You might have coverage for where 97% of Americans live, but that doesn't do much when you keep dropping calls-- that is where Verizon really gets the ammo from!

True. I can get (2G) coverage where I live just fine. The problem is getting any kind of coverage where I travel. If you break down on the road, good luck finding a signal. Also, nice deflect showing their total network when Verizon showed 3G coverage.
  • Reply 32 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

Don't think their OS share jumped 50% but then. If I compare the stock price OTH Appl vs MSFT I can tell you which I would have wanted

]

So you really think game over for Microsoft then? You really believe that? Should I tell my boss he needs to buy macs and switch unlike anybody else in the enterprise market?
  • Reply 33 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

Compare something else.
  • Reply 34 of 220
    Simultaneous voice/data is almost always unusable because with ATTs crappy 1900 Mhz network you almost never have signal.
  • Reply 35 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AT&T had to leave it to Apple to make an ad that sells their network.

Apple was pulled into this by Verizon purposefully using a phone very, very similar looking to the iPhone in its ads attacking AT&T's network. This links the phone to the bad network inappropriately, and is something that Apple would need to defend itself against. True, Apple picked AT&T after Verizon passed, and it's the iPhone's popularity that's causing over-use of the network, but the phone itself doesn't deserve to be attacked by Verizon in this case.

If this is how Verizon wants to treat Apple, then they better be ready for the response, because I'm sure Steve will not be happy.
  • Reply 36 of 220
    Quote:

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. I can dial into conference calls AND share data/presentations at the same time (check out Cisco's WEBEX App).

1) thanks for repeating yourself again. congrats you know how to copy and paste and then edit alittle bit

2) you still never answered my question.
  • Reply 37 of 220
    Quote:

I would gladly trade loss of simultaneous capability for a RELIABLE STRONG SIGNAL that allows the phone to function as a phone.
  • Reply 38 of 220
    I didnt know this was something special?

My G1 on Tmobile does it just fine, you know the email, text, web, maps all while im talking on the phone. Im pretty sure that the Droid can do it too, since it is also running Android OS.

Is that ALL ATT has?
  • Reply 39 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paladinkn00be View Post

I didnt know this was something special?

My G1 on Tmobile does it just fine, you know the email, text, web, maps all while im talking on the phone. Im pretty sure that the Droid can do it too, since it is also running Android OS.

Is that ALL ATT has?

tmobile is a GSM based phone so it can do this as long as you have UMTS coverage. sprint and vzw cannot do both due to a limitation of CDMA.
  • Reply 40 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So you really think game over for Microsoft then? You really believe that? Should I tell my boss he needs to buy macs and switch unlike anybody else in the enterprise market?

I wish people would really get off their high horse thinking anything Apple puts out is automatically the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I give them credit for sparking the industry into actually innovating again, but their products are not that far superior to their competition.

And before I start getting a bunch of non-sense replies, yes I do own a Macbook Pro (problem prone btw) and 2 iPods (good but honestly they collect dust anymore because my BB does everything it can so it just becomes another gadget to carry around)

Oh, and the biggest thing that irks me is the lack of interoperability to use Apple stuff and the content I store on them with other things...ie via my own home network.