AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

Comments

• Reply 41 of 220
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paladinkn00be View Post

I didnt know this was something special?

My G1 on Tmobile does it just fine, you know the email, text, web, maps all while im talking on the phone. Im pretty sure that the Droid can do it too, since it is also running Android OS.

Is that ALL ATT has?

It is a network limitation not the device. Verizon network can't do voice and data at the same time even if the phone support it.
  • Reply 42 of 220
    Yeah nice feature....

if only AT&T wouldn't drop your calls every 5 minutes so you could continue to do both at the same time.

This is weak counterattack--of course they have ZERO argument when it comes to size and reliability so they go off on a tangent on a nice feature only a few people care about and is badly implemented precisely because of AT&T's 3rd rate 3G coverage and reliability.

And as far as Apple touting this as some kind of miracle feature--this is carrier specific, nothing to do with the iPhone, every other phone on AT&T can do this. Kinda ridiculous for them to be taking credit for this "feature" when they had nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 43 of 220
    Quote:

My G1 on Tmobile does it just fine, you know the email, text, web, maps all while im talking on the phone. Im pretty sure that the Droid can do it too, since it is also running Android OS.

Is that ALL ATT has?

T-mobile is based on the same cellular technology as AT&T - therefore on 3G simultaneous data and voice is possible.

Sprint/Verizon/Alltel is based on CDMA cellular technology, which (for now) does not allow simultaneous data and voice.

Whether you can do simultaneous Data/Voice is based on the network you are on, not the phone (Android, Symbian, etc. can all do this). The Droid as you mentioned CANNOT do simultaneous data/Voice, as it is only on Verizon's CDMA network.
  • Reply 44 of 220
    "Tell me Mr. Anderson; How good is a phone call if you are unable to speak?". Apple helped ATT to rip people. Who needs a better call coverage (ATT), when you can use GV to make calls (with Verizon). These new ads are just new sci-fi movies for Apple fanboys. Ohh look I can talk on the phone and read email. The question is, does your 3G coverage allow you to get your email?
  • Reply 45 of 220
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So you really think game over for Microsoft then? You really believe that? Should I tell my boss he needs to buy macs and switch unlike anybody else in the enterprise market?

Why not? If we are talking hardware what can you do on a Dell PC that you can't on a Mac. Given the choice I would take that 27" i7 at my desk if my boss would buy it and guess what. The system is capable of running either OSX or Windows, but I think you know that. I never said it is game over for Microsoft because everyone loves Inertia. Years ago people use to say no one got fired for buying IBM today the same could be said about selecting Window as your operating system, but the choice of XP is more likely lately then Vista. We will have to see how Window 7 does, but Microsoft has destroyed alot of good will with their customers and alot of folks are fed up with it and have gone with OS X.

As far as Verizon and the Iphone, I still think SJ will offer the newest/best stuff to ATT first even when we have multiple carriers. ATT took a big chance on a new phone manufacture and Apple will reward them for that support.
  • Reply 46 of 220
    Apple has proven time and time again they are the leaders for quality, customer service and product innovation and these ads solidify those claims. Keep it up Apple!
  • Reply 47 of 220
    Quote:

Is that ALL ATT has?

You can use Wi-Fi - congrats. No wi-fi = impossible on the Verizon network.

I've never had any problems w/ 3G coverage when there was supposed to be 3G coverage - not once... *knock on wood and all that*
  • Reply 48 of 220

If AT&T is pinning its success on Luke Wilson, then it's Idiocracy I tell you!

• Reply 49 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

You can use Wi-Fi - congrats. No wi-fi = impossible on the Verizon network.

I've never had any problems w/ 3G coverage when there was supposed to be 3G coverage - not once... *knock on wood and all that*

Exactly! Verizon = Fail in general and why Apple is glad to not be on their network.
  • Reply 50 of 220
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Exactly! Verizon = Fail in general and why Apple is glad to not be on their network.

cause att is so much better?
  • Reply 51 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Apple was pulled into this by Verizon purposefully using a phone very, very similar looking to the iPhone in its ads attacking AT&T's network. This links the phone to the bad network inappropriately, and is something that Apple would need to defend itself against. True, Apple picked AT&T after Verizon passed, and it's the iPhone's popularity that's causing over-use of the network, but the phone itself doesn't deserve to be attacked by Verizon in this case.

If this is how Verizon wants to treat Apple, then they better be ready for the response, because I'm sure Steve will not be happy.

I'm not so sure the iPhone is not partially at fault. I've seen many posts by people who have both the iPhone and another phone on ATT. They report that the signal they get with the iPhone is often much weaker than the signal they get from the other phone at the exact same place. Also, the other phones drop calls much less frequently.

Most of the problem is with AT&T's network, but it seems as if iPhone also doesn't have a powerful receiver. It's a great minicomputer/multimedia device and only a mediocre phone.

So, I don't think linking the iphone to network is unreasonable. Especially since it's the iphone that is placing the major burden on AT&T's networks. In contrast Blackberry's are less taxing on the carrier's networks.
  • Reply 52 of 220
    They've already dropped the price almost 40%. You can buy one on Amazon for $150, and $120 at Dell.com.
  • Reply 53 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I would gladly trade loss of simultaneous capability for a RELIABLE STRONG SIGNAL that allows the phone to function as a phone.

I do feel for those users in areas where there is a high concentration of iPhone users and/or tall buildings and mountainous terrain. Where I am at, I don't have to sacrifice features or service.
  • Reply 53 of 220
    WOW! It works... But on that spotty map and THAT'S the point!

BTW in 3G areas in/around Harrisburg, Pa... That ad is BS... Does NOT work. Did inside DisneyWorld though...
  • Reply 55 of 220
    i_ii_i Posts: 10member
    hey I've been coming to AI for a while now, finally bothered to register to join the discussion.

I did think the verizon ads were very unfair and misleading. took a direct shot and at&t and people who aren't technically minded could easily mistake the information to mean that at&t has no data coverage period.

at&t were right to worry about those ads hurting their business. I really like these new at&t ads that clear things up. that actor does a good job and seems friendly. pretty simple and effective.

would be cool to get iPhone on more networks though. I live in the UK where it is starting to be taken up by all the major carriers, too bad it's still exclusive to one carrier in the US.
  • Reply 56 of 220
    The January 2010 issue of Consumer Reports landed in my mailbox today. The cover story? Cell Phones

As part of that story, they surveyed cell service. The result?

Overall:

AT&T: Voice Service = Solid black (much worse than average), Messaging = empty circle (Average), Web/e-mail = empty circle, Customer support (4 sub-categories) = 1/2 black circle (worse than average)

Verizon: Voice Service = Solid red (much better than average), Messaging = Solid red, Web/e-mail = 1/2 red (better than average), Customer support = 1/2 red for 2, Solid red for 2.

They also ranked the 4 carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile) in 26 cities:

AT&T: #1 = 0, #2 = 3, #3 of 4 = 4, #3 of 3 = 6, #4 of 4 = 13 cities

Put another way, they only beat another carrier in 7 of the 26 cities!

(For the record, the cities where AT&T did best were Dallas-Fort Worth, Indianapolis, and Tampa, FL.)

Verizon: #1 = all 26 cities

Plus, on Friday I spent some time in a van with 4 other guys. The topic of cell phone service was brought up. Three of them had AT&T, and they all complained about AT&T's service.

Rule #1 of cell phones: You must be able to make voice calls. AT&T still fails badly on this basic benchmark. How long will it be before Verizon beats AT&T over the head with this big stick? After all, who cares if you "can access data during a voice call" if you can't even make a voice call?
  • Reply 57 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

The January 2010 issue of Consumer Reports landed in my mailbox today. The cover story? Cell Phones

As part of that story, they surveyed cell service. The result?

Overall:

AT&T: Voice Service = Solid black (much worse than average), Messaging = empty circle (Average), Web/e-mail = empty circle, Customer support (4 sub-categories) = 1/2 black circle (worse than average)

Verizon: Voice Service = Solid red (much better than average), Messaging = Solid red, Web/e-mail = 1/2 red (better than average), Customer support = 1/2 red for 2, Solid red for 2.

They also ranked the 4 carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile) in 26 cities:

AT&T: #1 = 0, #2 = 3, #3 of 4 = 4, #3 of 3 = 6, #4 of 4 = 13 cities

Put another way, they only beat another carrier in 7 of the 26 cities!

(For the record, the cities where AT&T did best were Dallas-Fort Worth, Indianapolis, and Tampa, FL.)

Verizon: #1 = all 26 cities

Plus, on Friday I spent some time in a van with 4 other guys. The topic of cell phone service was brought up. Three of them had AT&T, and they all complained about AT&T's service.

Rule #1 of cell phones: You must be able to make voice calls. AT&T still fails badly on this basic benchmark. How long will it be before Verizon beats AT&T over the head with this big stick? After all, who cares if you "can access data during a voice call" if you can't even make a voice call?

I travel a lot and can vouch for the crappy AT&T signal/service. Personal cell is with Verizon and I hardly ever have signal issues and even less dropped calls.
  • Reply 58 of 220
    If I were head of verizon marketing, I would make a commercial that starts out just like the Apple ad, and just as he's about to access the email...the call is dropped.
  • Reply 59 of 220
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How do you actually do both simulltaneously on that small screen anyway? just curious. Speaker phone- Is that what we're talking here?

Did you mean the speaker phone and/or ear buds are so crappy that someone of your discerning taste would never consider using such?

How one person can be so argumentative in every situation, I just can't understand it. Can anyone stand being around you?
  • Reply 60 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

@ Jason

Verizon uses CDMA for voice and EVDO rev A for data which is also called CDMA2000. ATT and Tmobile are the big US GSM carriers. The 3G standard ATT uses is W-CDMA(UMTS). Technically the CDMA2000 standard also can support simultaneous voice and data but Verizon never upgrade their network to the Rev B standard and instead will roll out LTE for the higher data rates.

GSM/EDGE can also support simultaneous voice/data. T-Mobile US supports this and Blackberrys have been doing this on TMO' EDGE network for quite a while. It's nothing new to a BB user on TMO, it's expected.

So when the Apple ad asks "can my phone do that?", my answer is "why yes, my Blackberry has been doing that for years now." :-)

BTW, I also have iphones and androids too, so no flames please from apple cultists :-),

I have no idea if Southern Bell's ... err AT&T *Inc.'s* EDGE network supports sim voice/data on EDGE.

For voice/data, both the cell network' protocol and device firmware must support it, technically there is nothing that stops Verizon or any other GSM/CDMA carrier from supporting sim voice/data, today it's usually just software revs on the cell network.

Just remember, the Verizon/Apple/AT&T ads are really nothing more than marketing fluff anyway.