Chrome on OS X via Fusion here!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yes I am posting this running Google's Chrome OS in VM Fusion.

Haven't checked out everything, but it is a developers build so it's not quite ready yet.

To do this yourself, set up a Google account and visit this link for the download/instructions

You'll need to register with the site, free.

http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/

Also this has been Slashdotted, so if it's swamped come back later.

You will need VMFusion although Virtualbox may work.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Some tips I copied from the site hosting the download

Quote:

After Google announced the availability of the Chrome OS / Chromium OS source code, one of our engineers (Jon Ursenbach), immediately got to work on compiling the code, trying to see if he could get an instance of Chromium OS running in a virtual machine.

He was finally able to do it! You can download a copy of the virtual machine to use in VMware, VirtualBox, and on a USB drive here (300MB compressed / 700MB uncompressed):

http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/

Helpful tips, if you download it:

1.) To use the vmdk file, open VMware and create a new virtual machine. One of the options will be to use an "existing virtual disk." (In VMware Fusion, this is the last option below, "use operating system disk" and "use OS disc image file.") (MacTripper note: I first copied the unzipped vmdk file to the Virtual Machines folder)

2.) Make sure your VM is set to use bridged networking, rather than NAT. (MacTripper note: I had to make the setting change and restart the guest OS)

3.) The username and password to login to Chrome OS / Chromium OS is your google account! (MacTripper note: easier set up first via a real OS as Chrome is rather limited.)

Alternatively, if you don't have VMware, some users have had luck getting this image to run using VirtualBox, which is a free cross-platform (Windows / Mac / Linux) virtual machine created by Sun Microsystem. You can download VirtualBox here: (MacTripper note: I can't help you here)

http://www.virtualbox.org/

• Reply 2 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no point in trying it out for 6 months in my opinion, I tried it already and I'm waiting for 6 months now.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's no point in trying it out for 6 months in my opinion, I tried it already and I'm waiting for 6 months now.

Some people may be interested to see what it's about, thanks for the bump anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    It's certainly interesting if you view it from the standpoint of where it's intended to be installed, namely netbooks or even internet tablets. If you view it as an OS in the sense that OS X, Linux, or Windows is, then it's horribly incapable.

But still, seeing as how Android is actually more feature filled than the current build of Chromium OS, while still retaining excellent integration with Google's services, I have to ask: what's the point? My Droid is a more capable computer than a VM running Chromium.

Just my humble opinion, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sinical View Post

It's certainly interesting if you view it from the standpoint of where it's intended to be installed, namely netbooks or even internet tablets. If you view it as an OS in the sense that OS X, Linux, or Windows is, then it's horribly incapable.

It is horribly incapable and Google only, still needs considerable amount of work.

Which makes me suspect Google might be coming out with their own netbooks, or else it won't getting very far. Too bad they should have had one ready to go by the holidays, that's what people are going to choose this year, not knowing how hobbled netbooks are.

I like to collect operating systems now, just to reinforce my lifelong choice in Apple's OS's.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    For heaven's sake, change the title to ChromeOS on OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It is horribly incapable and Google only, still needs considerable amount of work.

Which makes me suspect Google might be coming out with their own netbooks, or else it won't getting very far. Too bad they should have had one ready to go by the holidays, that's what people are going to choose this year, not knowing how hobbled netbooks are.

I like to collect operating systems now, just to reinforce my lifelong choice in Apple's OS's.

Oh me too; I am a virtualization nut, and I love trying out OSes, even the odd ones.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Oh me too; I am a virtualization nut, and I love trying out OSes, even the odd ones.

Funny: I have that with sex.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

For heaven's sake, change the title to ChromeOS on OS X.

Done, I couldn't do it earlier for some reason.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

It sure blows the Windows fanboys away when you can run 6 operating systems at once and all they got is a tiny netbook.

Heck I thought I was smug before, this brings it to a whole new level!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It sure blows the Windows fanboys away when you can run 6 operating systems at once and all they got is a tiny netbook.

Heck I thought I was smug before, this brings it to a whole new level!

I have to be able to work with Linux, Windows, and OS X for my job anyway, so having a single machine that can run VM's really well is nice. I always found VMWare Workstation to be a bit wonky under Windows for some reason.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

I have to be able to work with Linux, Windows, and OS X for my job anyway, so having a single machine that can run VM's really well is nice. I always found VMWare Workstation to be a bit wonky under Windows for some reason.

It's Windows and the malware that pwned your box of course.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Funny: I have that with sex.

It's the odd ones that could be the most fun. Only you try not to tell your friends about it.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    bump just once I swear

others might be interested in getting Chrome OS running
  • Reply 15 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'll bump again for ya. Though actually I am not too interested to try out Chrome OS just yet... Ah who am I kidding, I'll try and download it this evening.

Edit: rubbish Internet at home. Will try tomorrow at work if I remember.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    VMWare Fusion 3. Can't get it to work with either NAT or Bridged. Can't login, keeps saying network not connected and offline login fail. Also I can't resize the login window properly so I only see the username and password fields and not much else.

Reminds me of trying out Linux a few years back. More frustration than Vista. Spoilt by OS X and Windows 7, I'm giving up on this Chrome OS stuff. Whatever. Like Android, meh.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    That is really such a useful information. i was download os, And This is the best way to spread out the information.

Thank you.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

VMWare Fusion 3. Can't get it to work with either NAT or Bridged. Can't login, keeps saying network not connected and offline login fail. Also I can't resize the login window properly so I only see the username and password fields and not much else.

Reminds me of trying out Linux a few years back. More frustration than Vista. Spoilt by OS X and Windows 7, I'm giving up on this Chrome OS stuff. Whatever. Like Android, meh.

Aw sorry to hear this and I should have mentioned I'm using Leopard and VM Fusion 2.x

VM Fusion 3 is a bit new and so is Snow Leopard. Not widely adopted yet could be your problem.

Have you tried the Fusion boards for answers?

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. It's just a glorified browser.

If you download the Ubuntu Linux image from the VM Fusion site it's rather a painless process.

There might be a one spot where you have to open a cd image for a VM package, then a expand a it with package expansion software and drag a certain file to the terminal window (after typing sudo first) enter your admin password to install the recent VM additions to make it run better. You can GUI update easily as well that's for the OS itself of course.

The new Ubuntu I haven't tried yet, not getting it to work under Fusion 2.x perhaps I need 3.x and Snow Leopard. Waiting for the bugs to get out of Snow Leopard first so happy on Leopard right now.

Ubuntu tries, but it's still not really GUI user friendly, because all the different machines and drivers needed to get it to run. It does demand you use the terminal at times.