AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

Comments

• Reply 61 of 220
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon started this fight....

.....now I bet they wished they hadn't.

Apple and AT&T have just started to tell the rest of the world what only a few techies knew: Verizon can not support simultaneous voice and data. OUCH.

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.

I agree that Verizon started it by attacking Apple?s iPhone. I have never seen that before from a carrier. Though AT&T started it a few years back with there ?fastest 3G network? ads.

Neither carrier has made it clear that there 3G network architectures are completely different. AT&T wasn?t able to offer the same coverage as Verizon due to spectrum differences or allow for soft hand offs when switching from 3G to 2G and Verizon wasn?t able to advance their network speed and functionality the way AT&T has. Verizon could have gone to EVDO Rev. B, but that is simple an expensive stop gate for a dead end tech. LTE is the much better choice.
  • Reply 62 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Simultaneous voice/data is almost always unusable because with ATTs crappy 1900 Mhz network you almost never have signal.

Good thing I am on the 850 MHz spectrum.
  • Reply 63 of 220
    All this stuff is just a lot of noise. The bottom line is, Verizonites drool for the iPhone, and they can't have it. The company throws them some sops by way of aggressive ads, in an attempt to reduce their post-purchase dissonance from the lousy handsets in their portfolio. ATT/Apple respond. Other than for the die-hards on both sides of the debate, I doubt that most really care all that much.

Maybe Droid will break that string. We'll see. Can't wait for the post-Christmas (and even more, the end of fiscal quarter) data. Somehow, I suspect that the search will be on for yet another 'iPhone killer'.....
  • Reply 64 of 220
    So I disabled my 3G and reverted back to EDGE just now to take this screenshot. Hmmm. Back to 3G for me.

• Reply 65 of 220
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh did Apple's OS share jump above 50%- am I missing something here?

What happened to the MacBook Air ads? Was that a game killer too?

Macbook Air was intoduced in 2008.

Apple share price - Nov/08 ... 82.58

Apple share price - Nov/09 ... 204.99

TechDud, in case you're having trouble with numbers today, along with everthing else .... Apple has more than doubled in 2 years and, in fact, if it continues in current direction it may well triple in value in the very near future. ..... Honestly TechDud, you should really go to the Brain Store and get a refund .... yours is obviously defective! I think that's what you're missing here \
  • Reply 66 of 220
    i_ii_i Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So I disabled my 3G and reverted back to EDGE just now to take this screenshot. Hmmm. Back to 3G for me.

how do you capture a screenshot of your iphone display like that?
  • Reply 67 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

If I were head of verizon marketing, I would make a commercial that starts out just like the Apple ad, and just as he's about to access the email...the call is dropped.

That would be awesome...I could just see the steam rolling off the heads at AT&T for that one!
  • Reply 68 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madness View Post

If AT&T is pinning its success on Luke Wilson, then it's Idiocracy I tell you!

I had to look it up to see what you were talking about (didn't see the movie) ... but that's funny (when I got it)
  • Reply 69 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i_i View Post

how do you capture a screenshot of your iphone display like that?

Press the home and lock buttons at the same time.
  • Reply 69 of 220
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madness View Post

If AT&T is pinning its success on Luke Wilson, then it's Idiocracy I tell you!

Right- Could't they get Daniel Baldwin?
  • Reply 71 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All this stuff is just a lot of noise. The bottom line is, Verizonites drool for the iPhone, and they can't have it. The company throws them some sops by way of aggressive ads, in an attempt to reduce their post-purchase dissonance from the lousy handsets in their portfolio. ATT/Apple respond. Other than for the die-hards on both sides of the debate, I doubt that most really care all that much.

Maybe Droid will break that string. We'll see. Can't wait for the post-Christmas (and even more, the end of fiscal quarter) data. Somehow, I suspect that the search will be on for yet another 'iPhone killer'.....

Iphone killer term is a joke...Apple OS is exclusive to iPhone and Google OS isn't (which is the only thing out that goes neck and neck with the Apple OS), therefore no single phone is going to have the exact same impact as the iPhone.

Now if you want a phone that will do everything an iPhone can do AND actually still gets reliable service, the Droid will do that.

Oh btw, Verizon turned down Apple not vice versa so I fail to see how they are drooling for the iPhone. Last time I checked, Verizon still has more customers than AT&T even after 2 yrs or so of the iPhone (and they both have had mergers).
  • Reply 72 of 220
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Macbook Air was intoduced in 2008.

Apple share price - Nov/08 ... 82.58

Apple share price - Nov/09 ... 204.99

TechDud, in case you're having trouble with numbers today, along with everthing else .... Apple has more than doubled in 2 years and, in fact, if it continues in current direction it may well triple in value in the very near future. ..... Honestly TechDud, you should really go to the Brain Store and get a refund .... yours is obviously defective! I think that's what you're missing here \

what does stock numbers have anything to do with what he said? do you see any MBA ads anymore? i sure dont.

are you that blinded by hatred toward him that you pull numbers from a discussion that has nothing to do with what he said to try and make him look like a idiot?
  • Reply 73 of 220
    Verizon needs to come back with ads that make the point of the iPhone/AT&T as being:

"Smart phone. Dumb network."
  • Reply 74 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by catlike View Post

In contrast Blackberry's are less taxing on the carrier's networks.

heh heh ... less taxing = can't do much.
  • Reply 75 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Did you mean the speaker phone and/or ear buds are so crappy that someone of your discerning taste would never consider using such?

How one person can be so argumentative in every situation, I just can't understand it. Can anyone stand being around you?

Well the first thing I always do is throw the crap buds in a drawer- I've lost count of how many I have. The thought of talking on a phone and web reading is rude to the person on the other end of the phone call for one thing so not exactly sure why that's such a needed feature. Now web browsing and texting that's another thing but sadly iPhone simply cannot handle it.
  • Reply 76 of 220
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I loved Verizon ads. They were clever.

Apple's new ads are enlighening and AT&T's are boring.
  • Reply 77 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

what does stock numbers have anything to do with what he said? do you see any MBA ads anymore? i sure dont.

are you that blinded by hatred toward him that you pull numbers from a discussion that has nothing to do with what he said to try and make him look like a idiot?

tries and fails

tries and fails ....like a bad penny
  • Reply 78 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Simultaneous voice/data is almost always unusable because with ATTs crappy 1900 Mhz network you almost never have signal.

Not true in the SF Bay Area. Simulataneous voice/data rocks here. I've never had a problem with it.
  • Reply 79 of 220
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    WOW! AT&T has the stones to say Verizon's ads are misleading?

I know some of you will hate me for pointing out the obvious, but what good is simultaneous voice and data if all you have is voice coverage? You're supposed to burn up minutes as you use your slower-than-dogshit connection to buy flowers? "Honey! Hello? I said its our anniversary! DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE SERVICE I CAN HEAR YOU BREATHING." I'm not saying 3g doesn't exist, just that your chances of having 3g and voice are lower than AT&T would like to admit.

Now on to the Wilson ad. Again, misleading as fuck. At least Verizon's ads showed "3g coverage" under it. AT&T will make idiots think they'll have a perfect connection all over the country.

Stupid ads for stupid people. If anyone doesn't know what they're getting into because they listened to these ads instead of doing a little reading, it's their own damn fault.

So just like the "I'm a mac, I'm a PC" ads, everyone should take them with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 80 of 220
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Not true in the SF Bay Area. Simulataneous voice/data rocks here. I've never had a problem with it.

isnt SF bay now on the 850Mhz spectrum? im pretty sure it is. your comment has now been voided.