AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

Comments

• Reply 101 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Macs are not the same as hendhelds. Totally different price points, different markets, etc.

And you know this, Teck.

Until Verizon has the iPhone, or until people actually care about the Android, it's just another loser carrier. The device makes the carrier. Verizon has just about as much influence in the matter as Bill O'Reilly at a Million Man March.

Am I missing something here? I hope you are joking. Verizon currently is the bigger company of the two.
  • Reply 102 of 220
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

why would you want to go to a network that cannot handle simultaneous data and voice...

who actually needs to hang up on people to surf to what they need and have to call someone back....

personally I laughed when I thought who would need that.....BUT now that I personally use simultaneous voice/data, I really do not know how much of a savage I was.....

so if you want to be a caveman go to Verizon...You wont have the wonderful use of ACTUAL MULTITASKING on your phone, but at least if you are in some rural mountain cave in montana sheep-herding then you won't get any dropped calls..

additionally if someone needs to add the word "stud" to their name, they clearly are not, but hey continue on with your shameless self-promotion, though I am sure no one is impressed with your knowledge of anything TECK...

Well why do you need to surf for your "friends" in the first place? Why can't they do it themselves? Why are they so backwards - are they in a cave? I've never had to surf for anybody- ever. Everyone I deal with can do that for themself.

If your going to call yourself "assassin" you'll need a lot better amunition than dat.
  • Reply 103 of 220
    Hesseldahl reports, "The ads will appear tonight during 'House' on Fox, 'Dancing With The Stars' on ABC, 'How I Met Your Mother' on CBS and several others including 'The Daily Show' on Comedy Central and several of the late-night talk shows."

Perfect timing, too.
  • Reply 104 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I would gladly trade loss of simultaneous capability for a RELIABLE STRONG SIGNAL that allows the phone to function as a phone.

you keep mentioned dropped calls, I dont even have that problem...and if you exchange simultaneous capability for a dropped call every once in a while, then bravo, but once most people find out this, I am sure you will be in the small minority. Its just shocking that has not been available before the iphone. If you dont think apple comes to a market and does not redefine what it means to use tech, there are just too many examples. The future will show that apple can even exploit Telecom networks. This is a terrible disadvantage against Verizon, and the Iphone just showed how essential a function like this will be mandatory for all carriers and phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Simultaneous voice/data is almost always unusable because with ATTs crappy 1900 Mhz network you almost never have signal.

sucks for you to live in some backwater cesspool with no reception

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How do you actually do both simulltaneously on that small screen anyway? just curious. Speaker phone- Is that what we're talking here?

you mean you do not even know about this....have you ever even used an iphone?
  • Reply 105 of 220
    Quote:

you mean you do not even know about this....have you ever even used an iphone?

He has one, and loves it. Allegedly.
  • Reply 106 of 220
    Quote:

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what the public would prefer more- better coverage on all their calls or the ability to give somebody a google map direction like maybe once a year? You must have some dumass friends.

I'll take AT&T's slightly inferior calling network and features like this over Verizon's slightly improved calling network anyday, and I depend on my iPhone for work. Granted, I don't live in the Bay Area anymore. Last time I visited San Francisco (a few months ago) I was losing some calls and reliability was not what it has been most other places in the nation. If I lived there, I would feel differently about this.

All said and done, I'll endure almost anything over Verizon.

I hate that company. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.
  • Reply 107 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You're right ... my bad. Guess it's time to wipe my glasses. Score one for TechDud ....

Flame out dude.
  • Reply 108 of 220
    Quote:

Apple just blew a massive hole in Verizon's non-iPhone "game plan." Some dumb carrier vs. Apple in advertising. LOL, it's a horrible mismatch.

Yes clearly having Luke Wilson as your new rep is going to be a game changer>>LOL. I am sure everyone will be thrilled with the EDGE network ATT has to offer.
  • Reply 109 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by helebek View Post

"Tell me Mr. Anderson; How good is a phone call if you are unable to speak?". Apple helped ATT to rip people. Who needs a better call coverage (ATT), when you can use GV to make calls (with Verizon). These new ads are just new sci-fi movies for Apple fanboys. Ohh look I can talk on the phone and read email. The question is, does your 3G coverage allow you to get your email?

and you realize the the vast majority of people live within ATT 3G coverage, who the hell cares if there is coverage in rural montana for goat herders..that does not help the majority of people that live in metropolitan areas. When AT&T rolls out the newest network, verizon will be stuck in the digital stone age...
  • Reply 110 of 220
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

yIts just shocking that has not been available before the iphone. If you dont think apple comes to a market and does not redefine what it means to use tech, there are just too many examples. The future will show that apple can even exploit Telecom networks. This is a terrible disadvantage against Verizon, and the Iphone just showed how essential a function like this will be mandatory for all carriers and phones.

man you're an idiot.

apple didnt reinvent telecom like you say. GSM has always had this ability of voice and data at the same time. it only has this ability while on 3g coverage. This has only become more recent in the last couple years.

congrats on just spouting out crap. would you like some toilet paper to clean up with?
  • Reply 111 of 220
    Quote:

He has one, and loves it. Allegedly.

I do love it. It completes me.

Having said that, I could care less about this talking and looking up google map feature. I'd rather have better and consistent reception anyday over that. But that is an AT&T issue not iPhone itself.

But I was a long time Verizon customer before that and never had dropped calls- EVER.
  • Reply 112 of 220
    Quote:

Well why do you need to surf for your "friends" in the first place? Why can't they do it themselves? Why are they so backwards - are they in a cave? I've never had to surf for anybody- ever. Everyone I deal with can do that for themself.

If your going to call yourself "assassin" you'll need a lot better amunition than dat.

its for all my friends that have Verizon...thought you were smarter than that.

The ones that bought a DROID... really...oh well....
  • Reply 113 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AT&T had to leave it to Apple to make an ad that sells their network.

The one on ?two phones? is better as they are now focusing on a single feature that they offer that Verizon doesn?t but it?s still ineffective overall. Verizon?s ads are concise and to the point.

Is it selling the network or selling a technical feature? I know T-Mobile has GSM technology, but a different bandwidth... but, would an iPhone on the T-Mobile network be able to say the same about voice/data technical feature capabilities on its network?

I truly don't know.

Does anyone out there have any insight? Thanks.
  • Reply 114 of 220
    Quote:

and you realize the the vast majority of people live within ATT 3G coverage, who the hell cares if there is coverage in rural montana for goat herders..that does not help the majority of people that live in metropolitan areas. When AT&T rolls out the newest network, verizon will be stuck in the digital stone age...

well first off you gives a rats behind if ATT has coverage...the question is can you actually USE their coverage. I'm suppose to have 3G at my house in a metro area but yet my phone says EDGE.

Second, I'm pretty sure Verizon is rolling out their 4G next year while ATT has said they are coming out in 2011? So I'm thinking they are a bit behind to begin with.
  • Reply 115 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that Verizon started it by attacking Apple?s iPhone. I have never seen that before from a carrier. Though AT&T started it a few years back with there ?fastest 3G network? ads.

Neither carrier has made it clear that there 3G network architectures are completely different. AT&T wasn?t able to offer the same coverage as Verizon due to spectrum differences or allow for soft hand offs when switching from 3G to 2G and Verizon wasn?t able to advance their network speed and functionality the way AT&T has. Verizon could have gone to EVDO Rev. B, but that is simple an expensive stop gate for a dead end tech. LTE is the much better choice.

Great explanation. This pretty much sums it up. In my mind the two networks are about even overall. Complaining about not having an iPhone on Verizon's network should be saved for when/if Apple decides to renew an exclusive contract with AT&T. Personally, I rarely have a call drop because my calls are not long enough. It takes at least 20 minutes or lots of switching between 2G and 3G. If I had the choice right now, I'd stay with AT&T for the faster data rate. If you frequently talk in the car, then Verizon would probably be better. Hopefully we will have that option eventually. You have to remember that the iPhone would never have been so successful (due to cost or compromise) if it were not for the exclusivity contract with AT&T. Remember how long it took to get DRM off iTunes music. I respect AT&T for doing this Apple's way. If they turned this down, Apple may have been forced in to a compromise as ugly as DRM.
  • Reply 116 of 220
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Flame out dude.

You and your damn "skimming" .... look where it got me. Oh well ... naptime.
  • Reply 117 of 220
    Quote:

its for all my friends that have Verizon...thought you were smarter than that.

The ones that bought a DROID... really...oh well....

Oh- I thought it was for all your friends that still had the first gen iPhone.
  • Reply 118 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kalkap View Post

well first off you gives a rats behind if ATT has coverage...the question is can you actually USE their coverage. I'm suppose to have 3G at my house in a metro area but yet my phone says EDGE.

Second, I'm pretty sure Verizon is rolling out their 4G next year while ATT has said they are coming out in 2011? So I'm thinking they are a bit behind to begin with.

I've heard that edge travels through walls easier then 3G. There is actually both 3G and 2G in metro areas. The phone will select the best signal. You have the benefit of your battery lasting longer when using 2G (or having full bars) as well. I live in a metro area. I can only get 3G in half of my house, so I bought a GSM repeater (zBoost). Now I get full coverage and my cell phone battery lasts significantly longer. Indoor reception will always have dead zones. Verizon's frequency is a little better at penetrating walls, but you could also have the same problem with them. The easiest solution is just to buy a repeater or one of those new extenders that use your wifi access point. The reason you get good coverage in commercial buildings is because most of them have these repeaters installed.
  • Reply 119 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madness View Post

If AT&T is pinning its success on Luke Wilson, then it's Idiocracy I tell you!

Yeah, should of gone with Jerry Seinfeld!
  • Reply 120 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I've heard that edge travels through walls easier then 3G. There is actually both 3G and 2G in metro areas. The phone will select the best signal. You have the benefit of your battery lasting longer when using 2G (or having full bars) as well. I live in a metro area. I can only get 3G in half of my house, so I bought a GSM repeater (zBoost). Now I get full coverage and my cell phone battery lasts significantly longer. Indoor reception will always have dead zones. Verizon's frequency is a little better at penetrating walls, but you could also have the same problem with them. The easiest solution is just to buy a repeater or one of those new extenders that use your wifi access point. The reason you get good coverage in commercial buildings is because most of them have these repeaters installed.

That's good info to know. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, I stepped outside and connected to the internet but it stayed EDGE.