Apple's iPhone to be sold by largest U.K. retailer, Tesco

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

What horrible snobbery. Do you think Apple would be where they are today without appealing to the widest possible market?

Its pricing policy on almost all its hardware since the company's inception has excluded the widest possible market only until recent times.

It was one single product, the iPod, that changed the company's fortunes, and by the device's size and nature it was always more accessible than anything the company had produced before. Apple is STILL not a mass market technology manufacturer if you encompass the company's entire product portfolio. It wouldn't continue to collect the crumbs of total market share that it has compared to Windows PCs if the corporation was truly able to appeal to the widest market possible market to which you refer.

PS: If you'd like me to say something nice about Tesco then their Finest range's Christmas Pudding is consistently excellent year after year. I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domdn View Post

PS: If you'd like me to say something nice about Tesco then their Finest range's Christmas Pudding is consistently excellent year after year. I highly recommend it.

Is that $240 worth of pudding?
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Pointless!! Unless of course we're going to see more competitive pricing amongst the carriers. One would like to think Tesco will bring some supermarket power and leverage better pricing but if their in bed with O2 then that theory is out of the window.

And with Orange announcing the same pricing as O2 i can see Vodaphone and T-Mobile following the same party line.

My iPhone's contract with O2 is up for renewal in January but i'm not entertaining any of them until i see some healthy competition on pricing. I won't hold my breath.

It'll help sell more iPhone's of course which is what it's all about i guess.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I agree mate, but the iPhone isn't a premium product like Macs, it's quite competitive.

Excuse me? Have you actually seen the unsubsidised price for the iPhone?
  • Reply 25 of 44
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Excuse me? Have you actually seen the unsubsidised price for the iPhone?

They are competitive with the unsubsidized price for high end Nokia N-series phones.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domdn View Post

Its pricing policy on almost all its hardware since the company's inception has excluded the widest possible market only until recent times.

It was one single product, the iPod, that changed the company's fortunes, and by the device's size and nature it was always more accessible than anything the company had produced before. Apple is STILL not a mass market technology manufacturer if you encompass the company's entire product portfolio. It wouldn't continue to collect the crumbs of total market share that it has compared to Windows PCs if the corporation was truly able to appeal to the widest market possible market to which you refer.

It was the iPod's break into the mass market I was referring to. Apple wouldn't be where they are today without it and I think that's a good thing.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post

It was the iPod's break into the mass market I was referring to. Apple wouldn't be where they are today without it and I think that's a good thing.

For shareholder like me who bought the stock $56, yes, you're absolutely spot on.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

They are competitive with the unsubsidized price for high end Nokia N-series phones.

They didn't list any product to compare it to, that leaves things wide open
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

hahhaa nice first post!

Haha, agreed, that was dead funny. :-)
  • Reply 30 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

They didn't list any product to compare it to, that leaves things wide open

"Competitive" generally means "compared to similar products", I would think. Did you mean the unsubsidized price of the iPhone isn't competitive compared to sandwiches, or marbles, or mice? Are we going to have another long discussion about what "competitive", "compared" and "price" mean? Because let's not.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addybgrilla View Post

Nooooo!

I was once a king, with an unlocked and activated phone from the USA before they ever came out here in the UK, people would literally gasp as I took it out of my pocket in packed restaurants and other such attention seeking places!

Then it was launched here and my throne felt less special, but still a little bit exclusive with it only being on o2 and quite costly..

Then it was opened up to other networks and I felt even less special.

Now every burberry wearing Chav with a local Tesco's will be sporting the God Phone I once wielded with such majesty

I can't help but feel like the king in Cold Play's Vida la Vida song...

With you!

"Now the old King is dead! Long live the King!"
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Competitive" generally means "compared to similar products", I would think. Did you mean the unsubsidized price of the iPhone isn't competitive compared to sandwiches, or marbles, or mice? Are we going to have another long discussion about what "competitive", "compared" and "price" mean? Because let's not.

That is one definition, another is

"having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others"
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I don't know about that, 2 points though...

1) It only started as exclusive (1 network, and 3 stores), which helped with the press and the general gadget envy and social word of mouth. Once that's helped to build the reputation of the device, who cares if it can be bought from Asda (Walmart in the UK), which it surely will be available from in the not too distant.

2) If I was in the market for an Armani jacket, I possibly would buy one from Walmart should they stock it. I know I bought a pair of 501s from Tesco many years ago when they managed to get a boatload of them from somewhere. I don't care where I get my product from, so long as it's the product I want. That doesn't mean that people like Apple/Levi/Armani don't care about *their* image and who they let stock their products tho. Unlike fashion retailers tho, for the iPhone it's all about getting it in as many retailers as possible now, as it's the natural successor to the iPod which is already available everywhere from Argos to Zavvi.

I care - if I part with £500 for a phone I want to think that there is some degree of exclusivity to it - the same reason I would buy an Armani suit and not a nice shiny £30 Tesco one - I want to feel that I have worked hard for a nice product that I am now treating myself to. Not queuing up with a bunch of Spides/Chavs in a bloody Tesco to buy the "Must have" gadget. The iphone is already too ubiquitous - this will make it even more so.

And before anyone gets on their high horse - 2 points. There is no way in hell you would buy your jacket there - and Apple would be dead in the water without people with the same attitude as me. In the water.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

• Reply 35 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Like 7.4 million iPhones vs 4.6 million Nokia N-Series phones sold last quarter.

So now we've got the more successful part out of the way, how much does an unsubsidised N97 or N86 go for?

Quote:

• Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like 7.4 million iPhones vs 4.6 million Nokia N-Series phones sold last quarter.

What about the E series phones, or the number of other models of smart phones Nokia sells, are you excluding these for any reason in particular?

http://www.eurasiascout.org/nokia-do...s-handset.html

Quote:

So now we've got the more successful part out of the way, how much does an unsubsidised N97 or N86 go for?

So now we've got your mistake out of the way, why are you comparing the two most expensive Nokia phones, when they have plently of other models that are easily classed as smartphones
  • Reply 37 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I'm glad you want to class the iPhone as a Business phone like the E-Series not a multimedia phone like the N-Series...

7.4 million iPhones vs 4.4 million Nokia E-Series sold in the last Quarter.

Source:-

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1347757

btw I made a slight error before it was only 4.5 million Nokia N-Series phones sold last quarter.

Quote:

What about the E series phones, or the number of other models of smart phones Nokia sells, are you excluding these for any reason in particular?

http://www.eurasiascout.org/nokia-do...s-handset.html

So now we've got your mistake out of the way, why are you comparing the two most expensive Nokia phones, when they have plently of other models that are easily classed as smartphones

• Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Your tacit criticism of Apple's own strategy for "trendy design in posh areas", makes you sound rather ambiguous. Are you waffling? Just what are you being critical of?

You're criticizing him for being ambiguous?

Quote:

Anyone with any perception

So everyone then, given that perception is ubiquitous.

Quote:

can realize that

Clearly you meant "will realize that" or possibly "could" or "would [realize that]"

Quote:

the product will sell itself, once it is in the hands of the consumer.

This isn't waffle, is it?

Quote:

Those who appreciate the attributes of the product might just

"might just?" How ambiguous do you want to get here?

Quote:

venture further into the Apple World in some form or fashion

"Some form or fashion?" Don't over commit, will you?

Quote:

--perhaps ultimately into the bright lights of a posh Apple Store!! (gasp!)

Perhaps yes, but nice double punctuation there nevertheless, twice.

Now perhaps next time you might just want to restrain yourself a little with your word usage... there is nothing worse than a word snob, who ain't so bright...

... although obviously, your ambiguous waffle was just an exercise in irony, which I'm quite sure you'll claim I missed.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

I'm glad you want to class the iPhone as a Business phone like the E-Series not a multimedia phone like the N-Series...

Are you saying that the iPhone is not in competition with the e series phones? You are aware that it is not just business people that purchase the e-series phones?
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

- milk

- bread

- iphone

Every little helps........