TV market looks to mimic Apple with cross-platform 'app store'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    Did someone allready mention that the appstore is more or less derived from the debian-based package managers, like for example from well known Ubuntu Linux ??

So Apple isn't really the first who created or started the concept, but they did bring it to a whole other level.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    edit

• Reply 63 of 67
    So now Apple invented the App store eh ? Keep dreaming of Steve sados.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fourthletter View Post

So now Apple invented the App store eh ? Keep dreaming of Steve sados.

Apple redefined the mobile platform app store. They offered a standard OS build across multiple devices, a rich SDK with frameworks that allow more powerful applications, and a much simpler store to make the ecosystem easier for users to buy products.

Rarely is Apple ever first to market with a product. Usually they simply see how a market is flawed and work to fix it. They have widely successful with this tactic that they are others are constantly playing catch up. How many app stores have arisen or been revamped since Apple?s App Store?
  • Reply 65 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Don't even bother. Take a look at his posting history, just another Winhole troll.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

When Comcast "Buys" NBC, Hulu will be a paid service and any others will have to quickly find ways of monetizing their business model. To date, the free with web advertising model is losing money, web advertising is not enough (as the publishing industry is discovering, hence Rupert Murdoch's anti Google tirade)

Broadcasters, Networks and Cable providers are positioning themselves as we speak to pull the rug out from under any "free" service. Believe me if we all move to "streaming" and try bypassing cable they'll find a way of owning the options as well. Cable providers in particular will never be happy with you just paying for their ISP. They need content and they need advertising/ an audience to advertise to. The latest advertising tech is perfect for this sort of distribution, but like everything else the tech is still evolving, even if everyone is clamoring to get it to market and make the money.

Point is, the market is a "mess", Apple has "plenty" of time to figure it out especially when you consider they were the first to even bring a paid download/ subscription model to the industry and back then everyone laughed. There was no ROKU before ATV, there wasn't a slingbox, hell there wasn't even an ATV when Apple first introduced TV downloads. There was satellite TV and Tivo. Game changers in their day but their day appears to be fading.

I think you're right about this. For right now, Apple's business model is only really competing with Hulu and other online sites or with Tivo. Most people downloading from iTunes are doing so to a computer not to Apple TV. A subscription service where you pay Apple a monthly fee would essentially turn Apple into a cable company. I'm not sure that I see this happening anytime soon.

Plus I'm not sure how Apple would price this. If they charge 2 bucks for an individual episode, how can they make a subscription package that is able to compete with cable? Even if you only watch a few shows, that's still probably a $30 a month charge and you're not getting any live programming such as sports. Not sure that there are too many people who will want to make that switch.

I think this is the biggest problem in the industry right now. There is no agreement over how much the content is worth. Cable has made individual shows/episodes a commodity. When you pay a $75 bucks a month for 200+ channels, an individual episode isn't worth much. Now we have Apple that is charging 2 bucks an episode, which is overpriced in comparison. Then you have free content that is ad-supported.

Music was easier to switch to legal online distribution and make money from it because they charged around the same amount per song as you would pay on a CD. For TV, we haven't decided what that price is yet. Until that happens, I don't see Apple TV or any other online service becoming a replacement for cable.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Would be nice in the Ad breaks to do a little surfing, that's if I can read it from the coach

You know. You can watch most shows now for free, online which is partcially why I think there is no flash on the iPhone. Let's see, free or $1.99-$2.99 per episode, no I just download torrents and watch them that way but you know, I kind of miss the :15 -:30 sec ads. One, sometime they were really clever and got you involved, so programming will ine day be a requirement for advertising and two, I miss the quick checking of email. With torrents, you get the whole show and sometimes when in California, one 9PM rolls around on the east coast, in LA, you can have the show on your computer before it airs.

We certainly don't miss the 3 minute commercials but you know, someday there will be a report that we don't get things done like we used to, pre DVR days as we used those times to go to the bathroom, clean a cup, pit something away or even the most important, talk to each other.

Nowadays, people, myself included, can blaze through 3 episodes of a show one right after the other. When we discovered ABC Lost over the summer, we went through seasons 1,2,3,4,5 in a little mire than 6 or 7 weeks. If was like. What's going to happen next.

I predict Lost will go on and on for a very long, long time.

Flash Forward (and we are not tv people, this is all net due to my 27" Glossy HDMI monitor HD and xvid/QuickTime), has taken off slow. V has been on only a few weeks and it's moving much faster. Almost like a mini series si you have to wonder, will V mostly be about a long, drawn out fight as it seems to be moving pretty quick.