Apple MacBook Pro prices slashed by up to $300, iMacs by $180

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
One Apple authorized reseller upped the ante overnight in the ongoing Black Friday Mac price war, slashing Mac notebook prices by up to $300 and iMac prices by up to $180.

Macs

Responding to steep discounts offered by MacMall, and later matched in part by Amazon.com, MacConnection on Thursday shaved another $50 off Apple's most popular Mac product lines, namely MacBook Pros and iMacs.

When combined with mail-in-rebates, the online reseller's latest deals offer $150 off the 2.26GHz 13" MacBook Pro, $200 off both the 2.53GHz 13" MacBook Pro and 2.53GHz 15" MacBook Pro, $250 off the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro, and $300 off both the 2.80GHz 15" MacBook Pro and 2.80GHz 17" MacBook Pro.

For iMacs, the reseller has cut $150 off both the 3.06GHz Dual 21" iMac and 3.06GHz Dual 21" ATI iMac, $170 off the 3.06GHz Dual 27" iMac, and $180 off the 2.66GHz Quad 27" iMac.

MacConnection has also bested all other resellers with a $849.99 price tag on Apple's new white 2.26GHz 13" MacBook, a savings of $149 off the suggested retail price. Meanwhile, rival MacMall continues to offer the best deals on MacBook Airs and Mac minis.

A detailed price comparison can be seen in AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide, below:

iPods

At the same time, several resellers have begun to shave down the cost of Apple's iPod line ahead of tomorrow's shopping bonanza. Current pricing on the players can be seen below in AppleInsider's new iPod Price Guide.

Both price guides will be continuously updated throughout the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Not a bad deal!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Is MacConnection a good on-line seller? Any buying experience from them?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Is MacMall the only online retailer (other than apple) offering the imac i7? Macmall is offering $100 off the i7. Any better deal out there? I know the imac i7 is a BTO option, but since it seems to be a popular model, perhaps Appleinsider can add comparison of that model too.

I want to buy the i7. But the fact that there are better deals out there on the i5 is making me wonder whether the $280 difference (buying i7 at Macmall vs i5 at Macconnection) is worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xcomme View Post

Is MacConnection a good on-line seller? Any buying experience from them?

Yep, I buy from them, no sales tax for me in Kalifornia. Just received my iMac i5 quad. Shoulda waited another 2 weeks. ! got a 100 rebate, now it's 180.

my iMac..sweet, no issues with cracked glass or DOA. perfect thanxgiving for me...got it just this past Tuesday
  • Reply 5 of 32
    AI should probably mention that they're getting a cut of the sales if you click the links.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Some fairly good deals. I am sure that some people may gripe and complain that Apple hasn't gone far enough in their discounting, but I appreciate any discounts they may offer.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Yep, I buy from them, no sales tax for me in Kalifornia. Just received my iMac i5 quad. Shoulda waited another 2 weeks. ! got a 100 rebate, now it's 180.

my iMac..sweet, no issues with cracked glass or DOA. perfect thanxgiving for me...got it just this past Tuesday

I'm in CA also... but I want the i7. This table doesn't even track the 2.8 iMacs

Oh well, I'll just probably buy one at full price from B&H - at least I won't pay tax, maybe I can get a bing cashback.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Not a game changer, but Best Buy's $999.99 price includes a $150 gift card at time of purchase.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Some fairly good deals. I am sure that some people may gripe and complain that Apple hasn't gone far enough in their discounting, but I appreciate any discounts they may offer.

Um,m I thought these discounts are being offered by the resellers not Apple.

It remains to be seen what the discounts at the Apple store for Black Friday are.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Um,m I thought these discounts are being offered by the resellers not Apple.

It remains to be seen what the discounts at the Apple store for Black Friday are.

I know you are holding out for the matte screen iMac, but would you have to pay NY state sales tax on anything else you purchased from the Apple store online? Apple has dinged me for TX state sales tax every time I have made a purchase from them, even from the iTunes Store. It has been explained to me in the past that if an online retailer has a "bricks and sticks" location in your state, they will collect sales tax on anything you order from them, even if the physical location in your area does not have it in stock.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

I know you are holding out for the matte screen iMac, but would you have to pay NY state sales tax on anything else you purchased from the Apple store online? Apple has dinged me for TX state sales tax every time I have made a purchase from them, even from the iTunes Store. It has been explained to me in the past that if an online retailer has a "bricks and sticks" location in your state, they will collect sales tax on anything you order from them, even if the physical location in your area does not have it in stock.

In NYS we have to pay tax on just about all online purchases. See in the early days of on-line shopping we bought from Amazon etc like mad and barely reported any of it on our tax returns. So Our Governor back then and state legislators realized how much Ny was losing and passed a law demanding that Amazon and other charge us directly for sales tax, This happened must be like 8 years ago. They bleed us up here.

Delaware has no tax whatsoever - except I believe a hotel lodging and property tax if you live there. So I have a friend who lives there and any big ticket item I will go there and but it which is what I will do when I get my iMac (by the way I will wait for its first update and see if it gets either matte and/or blu-ray then buy it). I'm getting a little tired of my white Intel 20 incher- it will be 4 years old this summer.

Happy Thanksgiving.

And you are correct if they have a "Physical store" they can charge the tax. So buy it from Amazon if you can- unless you're getting a custom build.

BTW Amazon has a black Friday deal on the 21inch iMac today!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Thats a great price on the monitor!

• Reply 13 of 32
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

No offense intended, but I sure would like to hear from more than one person about how good MacConnection is. I definitely believe that you have had a good relationship with them but it would be nice if some more MacConnection customers would post their experiences.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Yesterday, I sent two mails to customer support of MacConnection about some questions for pricing, but no reply so far at all.

Today, I sent a mail to Amazon on 4:13PM, and got reply back on 4:20PM.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xcomme View Post

Yesterday, I sent two mails to customer support of MacConnection about some questions for pricing, but no reply so far at all.

Today, I sent a mail to Amazon on 4:13PM, and got reply back on 4:20PM.

You would have a hard time finding anyone that can beat Amazon's customer service. I think I am going to order a 21.5 imac from them tomorrow. I almost clicked through a few minutes ago but I want to wait til tomorrow to decide which one I want. Plus it won't affect my shipping at this point.

If you order from Amazon, sign up for Prime. They have a free trial you can cancel at any time in the 30 days and still use it to get your iMac with 2 day shipping for free!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    See what Apple is offering here:

http://store.apple.com/uk

Discounts on iMacs, MacBook Pros. No savings on mini or polycarbonate MacBook.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

See what Apple is offering here:

http://store.apple.com/uk

Discounts on iMacs, MacBook Pros. No savings on mini or polycarbonate MacBook.

Discounts?

Why does Apple even bother. Apple's not the profit Queen for nothing.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

No offense intended, but I sure would like to hear from more than one person about how good MacConnection is. I definitely believe that you have had a good relationship with them but it would be nice if some more MacConnection customers would post their experiences.

Although I have no personal experience with MacConnection, you'll be interested to know that the Better Business Bureau gives it an A+ reliability rating and says that it has been a BBB Accredited Business since the beginning of 1991. Verify this for yourself at www.bbb.org and search for MacConnection.

I do have personal experience making purchases from other BBB Accredited Businesses and have always been well satisfied.

With respect to the current iMac discounting, however, I may be better off overall dealing online with another supplier, because a preliminary calculation on the MacConnection website indicates that, based on my Zip Code, they're obliged to charge me about $100 sales tax. Some suppliers located in other parts of the country don't charge sales tax.

Also, the ultimate savings from several of these suppliers are based on rebates that you mail in following your purchase.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

I've purchased items from MacConnection for over 20 years--computers, software, cables, routers, and more. I don't have experience with their customer service because I've never had a problem. In the pre-Web days, I ordered by phone and they were great to deal with, but since Internet ordering came along I use that exclusively.

These days I tend to buy more from Amazon because of Prime, the easy return policy, and the 3% credit card rebate, but I still buy from MacConnection on occasion, in fact as recently as August. Again, no problems, received what I ordered in a timely manner.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Although I have no personal experience with MacConnection, you'll be interested to know that the Better Business Bureau gives it an A+ reliability rating and says that it has been a BBB Accredited Business since the beginning of 1991. Verify this for yourself at www.bbb.org and search for MacConnection.

I do have personal experience making purchases from other BBB Accredited Businesses and have always been well satisfied.

With respect to the current iMac discounting, however, I may be better off overall dealing online with another supplier, because a preliminary calculation on the MacConnection website indicates that, based on my Zip Code, they're obliged to charge me about $100 sales tax. Some suppliers located in other parts of the country don't charge sales tax.

Also, the ultimate savings from several of these suppliers are based on rebates that you mail in following your purchase.

Thanks for the information. I just did a preliminary calculation with MacConnection and they want to hit me for $139 in sales tax. As far as Amazon is concerned, right now if you use Amazon Prime you get free 2-day shipping and 1-day costs only $3.99. That's a way better in the long run because of shipping cost with other vendors.