Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaSal View Post

Isn't the 5970 a desktop GPU? You can just stick it in the iMac? And it works with OSX and Windows?

That's like, awesome. I thought the GPU on the iMac wasn't user-replaceable? Is it very difficult?

Sorry to seem annoying, but I never opened up an iMac. Any chance you could post a step-by-step guide with pictures or video? I'm sure many people would appreciate that!

take a look at steps 21 and 22 to get an idea of the size of the Radeon HD 4670 that is used in the iMac being disassembled

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-...27-Inch/1236/3

....that is the "ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 4670 ,M96 ,9488"

http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/...IDs_Jan_09.txt

now take a look at the 5970 in hand

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...HIfSlAfjxri2Aw

wanna try fittin that in the iMac case?
  • Reply 142 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deja_vu View Post

Have 2 monitors hooked up to the one 5970 card besides the iMac 27...below are some configs that are used

using cmd+F2 makes shifting back and forth between the pc and snow easy...CCC senses the change and migrates what was on iMac display from the PC to other displays when that command is given

Do you have any problem using the iMac as the displayport monitor if you start up your pc with only the iMac connected and no other monitors connected to yor pc?
  • Reply 143 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macatihopeful View Post

Do you have any problem using the iMac as the displayport monitor if you start up your pc with only the iMac connected and no other monitors connected to yor pc?

support kinda sums up some of the target displaymode stuff but there are some issues with starting up the pc with only the mDP connected to the iMac...the doc says that both machines should be started up and then connect the mDP connections....there might be something to that....

Using a 27-inch iMac as an external display

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

think there will be somewhat different results with different motherboards in how the video card plays with the imac....in process of swapping my p6t out right now and upgrading to another 1366 socket type
  • Reply 144 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deja_vu View Post

support kinda sums up some of the target displaymode stuff but there are some issues with starting up the pc with only the mDP connected to the iMac...the doc says that both machines should be started up and then connect the mDP connections....there might be something to that....

Using a 27-inch iMac as an external display

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

think there will be somewhat different results with different motherboards in how the video card plays with the imac....in process of swapping my p6t out right now and upgrading to another 1366 socket type

I can confirm that the ATI Radeon 5970 using a mini display port to mini display port cable (purchased at the Apple store) attached to the 27-inch iMac with no other monitors connected DOES work with NO problems.

I have a Striker Extreme motherboard in the PC, but doubt really that this has any effect (though who knows).

My summary is that the 27-inch iMac itself ROCKS and is *AWESOME* running Mac OS X as well as as a display. I can also confirm the ATI 5970 is AWESOME.

Christmas is served
  • Reply 145 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macatihopeful View Post

I can confirm that the ATI Radeon 5970 using a mini display port to mini display port cable (purchased at the Apple store) attached to the 27-inch iMac with no other monitors connected DOES work with NO problems.

I have a Striker Extreme motherboard in the PC, but doubt really that this has any effect (though who knows).

My summary is that the 27-inch iMac itself ROCKS and is *AWESOME* running Mac OS X as well as as a display. I can also confirm the ATI 5970 is AWESOME.

Christmas is served

congrats

it is no doubt a nice match up the iMac 27" and 5970....now need some games with some beefed up graphics to really enjoy the marriage

having a dell 2407wfphc connected on dvi of card and comparing it with the iMac 27" really shows the depth of difference between the 2 monitor's displays....don't think there is any going backward from here once you have bit the apple 27"...... it is ips all the way
  • Reply 146 of 149
    bumping this thread, now that i have my imac in house, and im looking for parts to upgrade my gaming rig, and use the imac as my main display for gaming and stuff. I wanted to know if the radeon 5xxx series (excluding 5970) still doesnt work with the imac display.

Also i come across some good info today about gigabyte h57 motherboards with displayport input. Now i dont know much about comptures. But riddle me this:

Is there a possibility that the gigabyte h57 motherboard paired with the new i5 core 2 duo's is enough to run the imac at its native resolution. Also I can't find any info about the new core 2 duos and the internal gpu that comes with it. And how much resolution they can handle. Any thoughts? I mean most of the radeon cards dont work, but what about this displayport on the motherboard:

Some info about the motherboard here: http://www.ameinfo.com/222523.html

Secondly and this is important (since im not a PC geek). Could u connect the imac to the displayport on the motherboard, and then use a 5870 to give the Computer more juice, or is that not possible since the imac is already using the internal gpu.

Please respond

Best regards
  • Reply 147 of 149
    anyone with radeon 57xx or 58xx that wants to tell me if the cards work with the imac with the newest drivers/beta
  • Reply 148 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikrox View Post

anyone with radeon 57xx or 58xx that wants to tell me if the cards work with the imac with the newest drivers/beta

Well, I can only tell you it still does not work with the Apple Led Cinema Display. This is not because of a driver issue, but a hardware/firmware issue because the display does not turn on when booting. Drivers are not needed until booting Windows.
  • Reply 149 of 149
    Hi guys! I'm new here!!!

I just bought a new iMac 27" + radeon 5970... : P

I hope to enjoy soon my iMac also as a main pc monitor! : P