Evidence of Apple's new iPhone model, Maps application uncovered

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Signs of a new iPhone hardware model being tested online and Apple's interest in updating the handset's built-in Maps application have been revealed.

A handset identifying itself as "iPhone 3,1" was tracked by PinchMedia in its application iBART for San Francisco public transportation. According to MacRumors, iPhone 3,1 appeared in its usage logs during November.

The reference could signify a new iPhone model with major hardware changes, as Apple only changes the first number in a product's identifier string when it receives a significant upgrade. The current iPhone 3GS carries the identifier iPhone 2,1 while the original iPhone identifies itself as iPhone 1,1, and the iPhone 3G -- which featured minor architectural changes from its predecessor -- is iPhone 1,2.

Apple's use of 3,1 implies major and distinct changes, a practice that it also uses with its Mac lineup. References in software to an iPhone 3,1 have existed for some time, but the alleged use of the unreleased hardware would be a first.

Early this year, signs of iPhone 2,1 began appearing online. That hardware was eventually released months later, in June, as the iPhone 3GS.

Apple has released all of its iPhone updates in the summer. Recent rumors have suggested that the company could release a Verizon-capable phone in 2010.

Also revealed this weekend was a new job listing from Apple for a software engineer to work on the iPhone Maps application. The listing seeks a full-time employee to work in Cupertino, Calif., on the software.

"The iPhone has revolutionized the mobile industry and has changed people's lives and we want to continue to do so," the listing reads. "We want to take Maps to the next level, rethink how users use Maps and change the way people find things. We want to do this in a seamless, highly interactive and enjoyable way. We've only just started."

The description is particularly interesting because Apple quietly purchased a Google Maps competitor, Placebase, this summer. The worldwide mapping company offered products that would aggregate data on subjects such as demographics, home sales, crime, mortgage lending, school performance and more.

In addition, the existing Maps application has been a point of contention between Apple and Google. Apple rejected the Google Latitude app because it was reportedly thought the software would only be confused with the default Maps application. Google instead released a Web-based version of the software.

Google has added additional functionality to its own Android-powered handsets with Google Maps Navigation, a free turn-by-turn voice guidance system part of the new Motorola Droid. Google has said it would like to bring the software to the iPhone, if Apple approves.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider revealed that Apple is looking to hire an in-house game developer to create original content for the iPhone and iPod touch. To date, Apple has only released one first-party game for the iPhone, Texas Hold'em. The job listing could signify that the handset maker is looking to create more of its own games.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Woo hoo!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    June 2010 will be huge. Unless Apple introduces their maps implementation earlier . . .
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Looks like I'll have to let my 3G contract run out. This one is probably worth waiting for (rather than settling for the 3GS).

Worldphone (i.e., GSM+CDMA)? 3G+4G? (I very much doubt that it's just a CDMA phone).
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Thanks for this nice piece. Much better at explaining everything. Looks like they're going to make their own maps a default on their mobile devices versus Google Maps. Google vs. Apple war is on!
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Really, really interested in seeing Apple's answer to GMaps.

Will an Apple street team drive around the world to map everything out like Google StreetView?

i think it'll likely make use of the Compass feature and maybe even augmented reality.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So was this mysterious 3.1 device browsing from a Verizon IP?

That should also show up in the server logs.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    I was just reading this same article on Mac Rumours, The amount of bitching and whining about OMG they will never be able to survive without Google maps is laughable.

I personally hope they kill off all Google ties to the iPhone. Implement fresh code to allow their own native applications to work. Now i hear people saying that this means that we will no longer have the TOM TOM app in the store. Why? The current mapping app doesn't replace the TOM TOM device. Its a basic mapping application.

Almost like a street directory for your phone.

I have a distaste for Google. They have gone from being a small company that had the heart of a geek to now becoming that guy who was crammed in his locker with his underwear stuffed up his ass as a child now getting his revenge!.

The moral of this story is never piss off a geek....... unless its the Woz because he's just a fatty fat dancing fool... and he couldn't catch you anyhow
  • Reply 8 of 51
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Let's only hope this is a new form factor and will be out in Q2 2010.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like I'll have to let my 3G contract run out. This one is probably worth waiting for (rather than settling for the 3GS).

Worldphone (i.e., GSM+CDMA)? 3G+4G? (I very much doubt that it's just a CDMA phone).

I wouldn?t bet money on any of that.

Though I do agree with waiting for the next iPhone at this point. we?re about half way point between the 3GS arriving to until we found out the next model. If you don?t buy an Apple product within a couple months of it landing I always suggesting waiting.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    how do you "higher" a developer?
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

how do you "higher" a developer?

Give him plenty of bong hits.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    iPhone 3,1. Must be those PA Semi people everyone's gotten so excited about.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I didn't get the upgrade for the 3GS. They wouldn't let me until Mar 2010. This will force me to wait for the new model in summer at hopefully an upgrade price!
  • Reply 14 of 51
    One thing I've found interesting is that although everyone complains about the battery life of the iPhone/touch, there doesn't seem to be any talk of if the new lithium polymer batteries that are in all the MacBook Pros are scalable down to the size of the iPhone.

If they are, I'd expect them to be in the next iPhone/touch iteration. Now THAT would be one of the best, if not THE best improvements on the iPhone.

Has anyone seen any discussion on this topic - whether the lithium polymer battery can scale down? If so, please post the links for me.

The iPhone/touch have lithium-ion battery currently.

From Apple's web site:

"To increase battery life without increasing the size and weight of our notebooks, Apple scientists and engineers used lithium-polymer. This type of battery can be customized to fit perfectly inside extremely thin enclosures, like those of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro."

"Extremely thin enclosures..."

So, can this battery technology be used in the iPhone/touch and triple the battery usage time as they did with the MacBook Pros?

If so, it would be HUGE for the iPhone. HUGE!

Anyone know?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I didn't get the upgrade for the 3GS. They wouldn't let me until Mar 2010. This will force me to wait for the new model in summer at hopefully an upgrade price!

Well, people will always have to sit out one model if you stick to your 2year plan.

For me it was the other way - I didn't see that big of an incentive with the 3G but I instantly fell in love with the speed of the 3GS. Apps launch and feel sooo snapy.

As for the 4G rumors: it won't happen in 2010 as the networks aren't ready yet. Even if the first 4G networks appear in early 2011 I wouldn't count on a 4G iPhone for the same year. Apple has a proven record to "wait" a little bit, let chips get cheaper, the technology more advanced (and spread) and THEN come out with it. We're gonna see a bunch of Nokias and Blackberries on 4G before there is a 4G iPhone.

Although, i'm wondering how they gonna call it. I personally didn't like the "3GS" as a name. Just call it "iPhone" and that's it. Just like you did with the iPod.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

...So, can this battery technology be used in the iPhone/touch and triple the battery usage time as they did with the MacBook Pros?

If so, it would be HUGE for the iPhone. HUGE!

Anyone know?

totally agree. battery life still sucks on the iPhone (as well as on all the other touchscreen phones out there). that's a point where Apple could go ahead and lead the industry once more.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

totally agree. battery life still sucks on the iPhone (as well as on all the other touchscreen phones out there). that's a point where Apple could go ahead and lead the industry once more.

Better battery + OLED = Heaven.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    I don't understand everybody's griping about the iPhone's battery-life. It's supposed to fit in your pocket while still powering a relatively huge, full color screen, WiFi, 3G, GPS, GSM, Bluetooth and what not...

I get 3 days of standby without recharging. That's while getting/making about 4 calls a day a couple of texts and listening to music for about an hour every day and playing the occasional game for about 30 min's.... I call that pretty good...
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The reference could signify a new iPhone model with major hardware changes

Yep. Display and radio. 3 years is good age to change for the better.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    I'm flabbergasted. Are you really sure Apple is working on the next iPhone? So soon? I find it much more likely that they're sitting on their hands until the competition catches up. Then they'll panic and start working again.

Frankly, what kind or reporting is that?