Google Phone reports continue; Apple rejects Motorola Droid app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Another report claims that a Google-branded phone will arrive soon, and an application that served as a promotional tool for the Motorola Droid was rejected by Apple for distribution in the iPhone App Store.

Google phone "a certainty"

Citing a "trusted source," Gizmodo reported Monday that a Google phone running a new, different version of its Android mobile operating system is still in the works. Prototypes of the device are expected to arrive on the company's campus "over the next few weeks."

The source said that the new version of Android will run on handsets with large screens, and it was spotted on a laptop in addition to phones. In addition, it was reported that the current Android is not the "real" Android.

"So what makes for a "real" version of Android?" the report said. "Our best guess is an Android OS with Google Voice at its heart."

Weeks ago, the rumored "Google Phone" was said to be coming in 2010. The custom-built hardware will allegedly allow the company to control all facets of the hardware, much like with Apple and the iPhone.

iDroid rejected

The "iDroid" application was a free downloadable advertisement for the Droid, an Android-powered handset that aims to compete with Apple's iPhone. It was created by Swavv Apps, the developer behind iPhone applications "Beer Pong Pro" and "Spin the Bottle Pro."

According to TechCrunch, Apple rejected the software from the App Store because it is an advertisement for a competing product.

"All it did was display the glowing red Droid eye," the report said of the iDroid application. "If you tapped on the eye, it then showed some marketing bullet points about the competing phone such as the fact that it can run simultaneous apps and has a slide-out keyboard (something the iPhone lacks). The second page also shows a picture of the Droid with its keyboard out."

The Motorola Droid has been positioned as an iPhone competitor by its manufacturer as well as its wireless carrier, Verizon. The handset was introduced in early November to positive reviews.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    iDon't offer the Droid app.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    Anti-competitive anyone...
  • Reply 3 of 88
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

How do you figure? Apple is under no obligation to provide marketing for a competing product on their own products. The app store is Apple's and they are free to do with it as they wish.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Sounds like the app lacked sufficient utility.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, especially compared with the developer's other app, "Spin the Bottle Pro."
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

An advertisement masarading as an app.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    What would happen if Microsoft or google start blocking Apples adds from their products?
  • Reply 8 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapple View Post

What would happen if Microsoft or google start blocking Apples adds from their products?

You would hear a ton of complaints and whines.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

An advertisement masarading as an app.

The censorship board strikes again!
  • Reply 10 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    There is a new and free marketing tool.. get Apple to reject your iPhone app!!
  • Reply 11 of 88
    Quote:

you're a dum-dum.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    It should be rejected whether an ad or not simply for being lame.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

It should be rejected whether an ad or not simply for being lame.

Right- we need a new improved longer fart app.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How about... no?

Quote:

Name one app on a private store that is nothing but an advert for Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is a new and free marketing tool.. get Apple to reject your iPhone app!!

hehe I was thinking the same thing. Seems to work pretty well. In fact, anything where you butt heads with Apple is free press these days.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

hehe I was thinking the same thing. Seems to work pretty well. In fact, anything where you butt heads with Apple is free press these days.

Yeah.. I wish I had wrote a blog entry about my iPhone app rejection few months ago.. I could have sold a lot more by now. Oh well, too late now.. I've already fixed the bug that caused the crash
  • Reply 16 of 88
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Any Apple ad appearing on a web site run my MS or Google is paid for by Apple. Not provided for free. Why would Apple be under any obligation to provide free distribution of advertisements (via a free app on the App Store, for which Apple pays the costs to run) for a competing product? That's just absurd.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You would hear a ton of complaints and whines.

i'm surprised by your comment. does apple promote their products in windows software, or chrome (that are not paid advertising on public sites)? please give examples if you think they do.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    LOL...these guys probably could've made some money if they re-packaged their existing apps as free versions and displayed Droid ads within their apps...that is perfectly OK with apple.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i'm surprised by your comment. does apple promote their products in windows software, or chrome (that are not paid advertising on public sites)? please give examples if you think they do.

please don't encourage him...
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

You're asking this teckstud guy a serious question?! Good luck.