Psystar agrees to pay Apple $2.7M in settlement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ouch. Can't help but feel a little bad (even if they were asking for it).

Psystar to Apple: "I cudda ben a contendah!"
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

In exchange for the payout, Apple has agreed to not refile claims of trademark infringement, trade dress infringement, trademark dilution, state unfair competition, and common law unfair competition -- items that were not ruled on by Alsup in his summary judgment.

So if they don't pay, can and will Apple "re-file claims of Trademark …"?

That´s the big question? If Psystar´s financial backers makes it possible for them to pay up, all of these trademarks will in some degree be fair game for those who wants to exploit ??? Dell, Microsoft and others could benefit. Or am I wrong?

Was this part of the scheme from day one?
  • Reply 23 of 87
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Now that Apple proven that their EULA is valid there is no need to go ahead with the lawsuit and risk uncertainty. Apple can now sue anyone, at least in the US, who tried to sell Mac clones based on their successful arguments in this case. The Florida case will most likely be dismissed.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t. It was stupid from day one. I?m surprised that they are getting off so easily. I?d have thought Apple would rather make an example of them and set a legal precedence for illegally copying copyrighted code.

Not everyone is as bitchy as you, thank god.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    "A fool and his money are soon parted" - Thomas Tusser

Or in the case of Psystar - "a foolish company and its money"

Can't help but feel a little sorry for them though.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ouch. Can't help but feel a little bad (even if they were asking for it).

Hey, they used to keelhaul pirates. I think they got out easy, with just a fine. After all, I have a funny feeling somebody else besides Psystar is bankrolling Psystar and paying that bill. A small start-up company can't be that stupid and arrogant. You don't mess with (steal) a big company's source of cash.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Freaking Awesome!

Bubye Psystar and your lame ass, ILLEGAL business model. You earned it!

Hurray for Apple, The US Constitution, and the laws that make this the best country on the planet by protecting personal property of the individual or the corporation that created it.

VICTORY!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 87
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

2.7 Million? If the reports of them only selling under 200,000 units are true, this may be like 80% of their profits.

More like 768 systems total, by one count:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ge_clone_sales

Just think of that Return On Investment! SCO must be jealous.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

2.7 Million? If the reports of them only selling under 200,000 units are true, this may be like 80% of their profits.

''Under 200,000 units''? Try under 1000.

The fact that Psystar did so poorly that only 768 sales could be confirmed shows that there just isn't that much of a market for PCs running MacOS X.

Hopefully the fact that Psystar couldn't even meet more than 2% of their conservative projection of 70,000 units in 2009 will show the people saying there is a market out there if Apple would license clones to be full of it.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Hey, they used to keelhaul pirates. I think they got out easy, with just a fine. After all, I have a funny feeling somebody else besides Psystar is bankrolling Psystar and paying that bill. A small start-up company can't be that stupid and arrogant. You don't mess with (steal) a big company's source of cash.

I agree Leonard, the stupidity that is/was Psystar just wreaks of the stupidity that is Steve Ballmer...LOL
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

In regards to your assertion, what big company actually stands to benefit from this? The main draw of OS X is that it's tied to Apple hardware. Put it on other hardware and it quickly becomes vulnerable to the same problems as Windows.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    768 units sold.

$2.7 million in damages.

Priceless.

• Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Underpants Gnomes.

Surely taking this to court would have helped set a precedence, rather than putting just one company out of business?

EDIT: jglavin you beat me to the punch!

Actually the summery judgment did set a precedence: Apple restriction on hardware is protected under the DMCA. This majorly cripples future endeavors and other companies trying the same thing.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

The fact that Psystar did so poorly that only 768 sales could be confirmed shows that there just isn't that much of a market for PCs running MacOS X.

It shows that there isn't that much of a market for PCs running MacOS without Apple's consent. If Apple were to start up an authorized clone program (note: Apple will not do this) now that OS X runs on Intel hardware, it might be a different story. But we'll never know...
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I agree Leonard, the stupidity that is/was Psystar just wreaks of the stupidity that is Steve Ballmer...LOL

As bad as Steve Ballmer is I don't think he is that stupid. There was no way Psystar was going to win this thing. Hopefully the Florida judge has a brain and goes summery judgment on Psystar as well and ends this soap opera.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Note that all machines with OS X preinstalled are said to be "out of stock" on Psystar's site.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That is, sadly, funny. ROTFLMAO.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm like totally boo-hooing. Not.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Psystar needs a shrink.

"Change your name. Not such a big deal.

Steve"
  • Reply 40 of 87
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    What was the point of this in the first place . . .