New 27 iMac owners, it's time to sound off!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I picked up the Core i5 this weekend. Wow! I would have picked up an i7 if they had been in stock, and if I had another two hundred dollars. As it happens, I am blown away, and my expectations were already high. I will skip all the usual stuff like the incredible screen and such, and jump right into the performance.

I am coming off a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GH MBP with 256 graphics card. I had it spanning to a 24" monitor. I have an EyeTV Hybrid connected to cable for watching and recording TV. The TV tuner has always worked well for viewing and recording. The problem is with exporting. Whenever the tuner is exporting to a different format, the rest of the computer slows to a crawl. For all practical purposes, the computer becomes unusable. Also, watching a Flash video would push both processor to full. Since most webpages use copious amounts of Flash, surfing the web was often a processor intensive task.

Enter the Core i5. Exit all performance issues. I can now view, record, export video, play a Flash video, have a game open, all while running Windows 7 in virtualization with full 3D effects without any noticeable slowdown. I can't wait to throw 32, effects laden tracks in Logic at it.

What are you doing with your new Core i5/i7 iMacs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    No iMac 27 here but there is a whole lot of envy. I guess I'll be ready for Round II.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I picked up the Core i5 this weekend. Wow! I would have picked up an i7 if they had been in stock, and if I had another two hundred dollars. As it happens, I am blown away, and my expectations were already high. I will skip all the usual stuff like the incredible screen and such, and jump right into the performance.

I am coming off a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GH MBP with 256 graphics card. I had it spanning to a 24" monitor. I have an EyeTV Hybrid connected to cable for watching and recording TV. The TV tuner has always worked well for viewing and recording. The problem is with exporting. Whenever the tuner is exporting to a different format, the rest of the computer slows to a crawl. For all practical purposes, the computer becomes unusable. Also, watching a Flash video would push both processor to full. Since most webpages use copious amounts of Flash, surfing the web was often a processor intensive task.

Enter the Core i5. Exit all performance issues. I can now view, record, export video, play a Flash video, have a game open, all while running Windows 7 in virtualization with full 3D effects without any noticeable slowdown. I can't wait to throw 32, effects laden tracks in Logic at it.

What are you doing with your new Core i5/i7 iMacs?

I have 3 if the 27" iMacs for work but they have the C2D cpus. A bit of a bummer, I would like to have the i5 which I think is in the sweet spot from a price to performance ratio. But I couldn't wait or afford the i5 iMacs.

The entry level 27" iMac is still a nice piece of kit. The screen is unbelievable and the C2 will do for my purposes. In a 4-5 years when I look to replace them I'll keep one around and use as an external monitor for a laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I also bought a Core i5 last week and it is much, much, much better than I thought. Incredible computer.

My old computer is a first generation Intel iMac, which is showing its age. I often run Linux in VirtualBox, WindowsXP via RDC and iTunes/Safari/Mail/iPhoto on my iMac and also leave my SO logged in. My old iMac was chugging along and was maxed out at times (sluggish).

The new Core i5 feels so much faster - everything is instantaneous, even with all of the above running. And then that 27 inch screen - sooo nice. I absolutely LOVE this computer.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I've been using an iMac i5 for the past two days and I must say that it is very zippy and very impressive. I also have a Mac Pro 8 core, early 2009 and this iMac is giving it a run for its money. This of course is an intuitive assessment but it is a pleasure to use.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    My i5 finally arrived in the mail today. This thing is bonkers. I had it next to my old 20" during file transfer, and the size difference was striking. This is definitely the best computer I've ever used apart from the tiny keyboard. I'll fix that at a later date. The mouse is great. The screen is mind blowing, especially when set up properly.

I just replaced a two screen setup with a single screen, and it's much better this way.

Now the real pain: I have to decide which expensive software I want to upgrade from old PPC versions. I'm not really in the 3D biz anymore, but I don't think I can just leave it all behind!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    It's official; this thing is a beast! I give up trying to stump it with useless processes. I can now just sit back and enjoy it for the next couple of years. My latest torture test was to export video while playing live TV, while playing a Flash video, while playing a QT movie, while playing a game. Other than the fans coming on, it was just business as usual. I've never owned a machine that could handle so much without as much as a dropped frame.

By the way, Logic runs without drama of any kind. This is the closest thing to a perfect computer Apple, or anyone else, has managed to produce. With products like this, it's hard to be mad at Apple for long.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    My new iMac i7 was delivered last Friday. It's awesome. I'm not a power user (yet) so am simply enjoying the big beautiful screen and very fast responses. The keyboard is small but feels fine. The mouse is wonderful. I have small hands so this is made to fit.

Have the original bondi blue Rev A iMac (safe in its suitcase) and an iBookG4 whose 60GBHD is crammed full with music. This is such a leap forward!

Lots to learn, big enjoyable learning curve. Stumbled across Front Row and watching trailers was better than in the theatre, right at my desk.

I co-own this with my partner who has been suffering with a pos old pc laptop at work. Took to this iMac i7 immediately and each day is using a new application and being productive. She will refuse to replace her work pc with another pc; work will have to go Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Arrgh!!! I'm still waiting on the i7 I ordered on Black Friday. I check every couple of hours hoping for a bump to the Dec 11 ship date and Dec 16 arrival, but no such luck.

I've loved my iPhone(s) since they were introduced, but I'm new to the Mac arena so I ordered at the top of the envelope hoping not to be disappointed. (i7, 8Gb, 2Tb, added iWorks, Office, FCE4, Extra Wired Keyboard, Parellels, and even One-to-One).

So are there things I should be doing to my PC in preperation for the one-to-one migration? Or will they just copy over docs, music and photos for me? Is it better to get a fresh copy of Win 7 or should I use Vista or XP (Windows is mainly for my son's games and wife's fear.) Is Apple Care worth the money? Was one-to-one a waste for a guy who hand built all his PC's?

Man, I wish this bad boy was here right now!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    1:1 is excellent because for just $99 you get all the face time, hands on time and instruction you want at an Apple store. You'll have questions and be able to set up appts easily. The software will astonish you with its elegant powerful productivity and you'll want to take advantage of every capability.

AppleCare is a must. Total service for 3 years. Plus you can call on the phone and get all kinds of help.

Can't help you with PC stuff. I won't let it anywhere near my baby!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Thanks! I can't wait!!!!

I was worried about putting Windoze on my new iMac too. I agonize over just setting up Boot Camp or using Parallels, but if I don't make this machine easy for my loved ones they won't let me buy a MacBook Pro this summer when the quad cores hit the mobile side. Or better yet, a new tablet! ;-)

I got the family Mobile Me too. I hope that works better than it did at launch.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I have a 24" 16:10, seeing the 27" 16:10 the screen size looks about the same in person, aside from the resolution of course. The 21 1/2" version looks tinier than you'd ever expect. In person it looks like the 17" 16:10 iMac.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Picked up my 27" i5 iMac this week from the Apple Store in Glasgow.

I got it as a replacement for my 24" iMac (3.06ghz 4GB RAM) and the difference in size on my desk is staggering. It didn't look at all bigger in the Apple store but now it is in place on my desk where the 24" iMac once stood I have had to move stuff around on the desk to make space for it. I guess the high ceilings and open space in the Apple store hide its actual size.

Performance:

I got the stock i5 with 4GB of RAM (which will be upgraded to 8GB in january)

So far I have loaded it up with all of my docs, photos, iTunes library and videos. I also have CS3, Office 2008, Handbrake and World of Warcraft on it.

World of warcraft looks amazing, I have the settings on 'Ultra' with 4x AA and I get a steady 42fps in Dalaran and the loading times have been cut down dramatically when hearthing there.

I capped the framerate at 60fps and outside of dalaran that is where the framerate sits.

Both Office 2008 and CS3 apps load much quicker than the 24" iMac

Handbrake

The quad core i5 gives incredibly fast performance in handbrake and converting xvid/divx to iPhone MP4 format takes around 6 - 7 minutes for a 90 movie using the built in iPhone profile.

Combine all of this with the wider higher resolution display and its an awesome piece of kit.

UPDATE: 21st Dec 2009

Found a problem, when booting it takes ages to get to the apple logo.

Found solution. For some reason no startup volume is specified. After correcting this it takes 29 seconds to boot. Timed from when I press the power button.