Partial deletion of Time Machine files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey gang,

I migrated to a new MBP recently and would like to remove the TM files(from the old MB) from my TM drive. Dragging to the trash did not work(I'll never do that again!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve B.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

Hey gang,

I migrated to a new MBP recently and would like to remove the TM files(from the old MB) from my TM drive. Dragging to the trash did not work(I'll never do that again!).

Why not, Steve?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Do it Mac Way!

• Reply 3 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Turn Time Machine off. Use Disk Utility to format drive
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Why not, Steve?

Thanks, Rokcet. 'Cause when I went to empty the trash I got a error message(-xxxx) and nothing happened.I'm still working on it. I got some files deleted via Terminal.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

Thanks, Rokcet. 'Cause when I went to empty the trash I got a error message(-xxxx) and nothing happened.I'm still working on it. I got some files deleted via Terminal.

Time Machine stores backed up data in special files called "Sparse Bundles." There can literally be thousands of these files. The actual data files are not stored directly to the file system.

If you really want to blow everything (and I mean everything) away, simply shutdown Time Machine, do the Disk Utility "Erase", and restart Time Machine as suggested. "Hand deleting" the files is likely to miss hidden files and may corrupt future Time Machine backups.

If you have a Time Capsule with which you are using Time Machine, you can open Airport Utility, select your Time Capsule, click the Disks icon at the top, and click "Erase...".

Jeff