AT&T drops lawsuit against Verizon over advertising spat

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After failing to have Verizon's advertisements criticizing its network coverage pulled off of the air, AT&T has decided to drop its lawsuit against the nation's largest wireless carrier.

Both Verizon and AT&T filed an official dismissal of the case in an Atlanta, Ga., federal court Wednesday. In addition, a separate lawsuit filed by Verizon against AT&T was also dismissed.

In November, AT&T had asked the court to pull what it felt were "misleading" advertisements from Verizon, criticizing AT&T's nationwide 3G coverage. But a judge later denied that request, noting that though Verizon's ads could be construed as "sneaky," they were not misleading. Both parties were originally set to meet in court on Dec. 16 for a second chance to present their case on the proposed injunction.

The legal dispute began when AT&T filed a complaint, noting the company felt that the advertisements suggested to casual TV viewers that its wireless service did not provide coverage in most of the U.S. Parodying Apple's "There's an app for that" iPhone commercials, Verizon mocked AT&T with the slogan "There's a map for that." While Verizon's commercials highlighted the strength of its 3G data network, AT&T said customers could be mislead to think the television spot was referring to all voice and data connections.

AT&T publicly responded with a series of advertisements featuring actor Luke Wilson. Rather than focusing on 3G coverage, AT&T aimed to "set the record straight" and show that the wireless network reaches 97 percent of all Americans.

In court, Verizon responded to AT&T's claims by suggesting the carrier was overreacting to "the truth" of its wireless data service. It argued that AT&T failed to adequately invest in its own network to support growth of devices.

"AT&T sued because Verizon's ads are true and the truth hurts," the company had said.

Criticism of AT&T's wireless network mounted after a tough summer, when the launch of the iPhone 3GS led to bandwidth issues for the nation's second largest wireless carrier. Soon after, AT&T publicly acknowledged its own shortcomings and vowed to do better in the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"AT&T sued because Verizon's ads are true and the truth hurts," the company had said.

Criticism of AT&T's wireless network mounted after a tough summer, when the launch of the iPhone 3GS led to bandwidth issues for the nation's second largest wireless carrier. Soon after, AT&T publicly acknowledged its own shortcomings and vowed to do better in the future.

And there it is. I will pay the termination fee and jump ship from AT&T in a New York Minute when iPhone goes Verizon.

I am willing to bet serious coin that AT&T will lose 50% of their iPhone customers when this happens.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

And there it is. I will pay the termination fee and jump ship from AT&T in a New York Minute when iPhone goes Verizon.

That doesn?t seem likely. There is no evidence to support that Apple and Verizon are working together and evidence to support that they aren?t. T-Mo is the most logical choice. How is T-Mo in your area?

Quote:

I am willing to bet serious coin that AT&T will lose 50% of their iPhone customers when this happens.

I hope they do so I can more bandwidth but I?d take your bet. The number of people overwhelmingly unhappy with AT&T?s service are few and even fewer were foolish enough to not use the 30 day period to test AT&T?s coverage in their area. Some would jump, but the same goes if it was reversed.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:

Do not agree, I think all the carriers have learned from AT&T's situation with iPhone, that people are looking for smart devices that will allow them to undertaken a number of tasks on one simple electronic device.

If Verizon had been the 1st carrier for iPhone, I but the same would happen and all my US colleagues would be moaning about Verizon.

Unfortunately AT&T was not ready, but neither was other carriers and their have learned from AT&Ts mistakes.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    at&t should have put up another cell phone tower instead of wasting the money on legal fees. especially in nyc.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    They didn't like the opposition pointing out their 3G weaknesses, so they sued. Yeah, I guess they discovered that wasn't going to work so they pulled the suit. Maybe they'll focus on suing Consumer Reports now, since CR is pointing out their low users' satisfaction level.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    There is no way that AT&T (or Apple) should have underestimated the popularity of the iPhone and the strain it would cause on the EDGE or 3G networks. AT&T accepted terms from Apple that no wireless carrier would've at that time without expectation of a revolutionary market opportunity. So while I can understand the shock that an iPhone revolution could cause for a network, I don't for one second believe it was not expected and therefore potentially avoidable.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

at&t should have put up another cell phone tower instead of wasting the money on legal fees. especially in nyc.

Your comment implies that AT&T chad to choose one over the other. AT&T has been building out their network faster than anyone and spending more money than anyone since the iPhone was announced.

Granted, they were also woefully behind on ?3G? compared to Sprint and Verizon and have some technical issues do being GSM/3GSM on a 1900MHz spectrum, but that is being corrected.

Some cities have completely been switched to 850Mhz. Unfortunately, it?s not as simple as popping up a tower where you need it, when you need it.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I agree, very stupid of AT&T to file a lawsuit over a commercial where the truth is always fast and loose.

AT&T, instead of being a whiner, would have been better off to create a commercial with Luke Wilson touting, "Word is that Verizon had a chance to offer the iPhone." "Here is our scenario of what happened..."

Then have a dream effect fading into the scenario showing some snotty brat kid, you know, the kind you see in the grocery store check out line with the unfit parent ignoring the screams and cries, at the expense of the rest of the people in line who would love to smack the sh*t out of that kid to give them something to cry about, have that sort of situation where the bratty kid is dressed with a Verizon like tee shirt and a Uncle Steve character asking would you like this (shows iPhone) and the snotty kid says, NO! It doesn't have MY app store, it doesn't have MY V-cast, no, no, noooooooo (stomping feet and holding breath) and a AT&T kid holding an iPhone just shaking his head in disbelief at the sour behavior being witnessed!

Then fade back to Luke Wilson with a tv behind him airing a Verizon "map for that" commercial and have him give a quick glance at the tv and then turn back to the camera and say, "And that whining still hasn't stopped!"

AT&T needs to learn the Obama mantra of Chicago style politics... 'You hit us, we'll hit you back ten times as hard!'
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

There is no way that AT&T (or Apple) should have underestimated the popularity of the iPhone and the strain it would cause on the EDGE or 3G networks. AT&T accepted terms from Apple that no wireless carrier would've at that time without expectation of a revolutionary market opportunity. So while I can understand the shock that an iPhone revolution could cause for a network, I don't for one second believe it was not expected and therefore potentially avoidable.

Why is that? To predict that a device is going to be hugely successful and tax your network more than any other device is one thing, to say that it will account for more internet usage than all Linux desktop installs and use more than half of all the mobile data despite being only a very small percentage of the handset market is quite another. I don?t think even Apple predicted how success the iPhone would be in sales and in usage in such a short time frame.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

I jumped ship on both AT&T and Apple the day the Droid was released. Haven't regretted it for a moment. More reliable network and a much better phone to boot. Win, win situation.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some cities have completely been switched to 850Mhz. Unfortunately, it?s not as simple as popping up a tower where you need it, when you need it.

HI! BILLY MAYS HERE FOR POPS-A-TOWER. THE FAST, CONVENIENT WAY TO PUT UP A CELL TOWER WHERE YOU NEED IT WHEN YOU NEED IT!

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. Is is still too soon?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

HI! BILLY MAYS HERE FOR POPS-A-TOWER. THE FAST, CONVENIENT WAY TO PUT UP A CELL TOWER WHERE YOU NEED IT WHEN YOU NEED IT!

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. Is is still too soon?

It’s never too soon to lampoon someone. Once South Park does it you’re in the clear… which means anywhere from 24 hours prior to a few months depending if the show is on hiatus or not.

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR A 2100MHz TOWER? HOW ABOUT A 1900MHz OR 1700MHz TOWER? WHAT IF I TOLD YOU COULD HAVE AN 850MHZ TOWER UP IN MERE MINUTES FOR THE PRICE OF 2100MHz TOWER, WHAT YOU SAY?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    AT&T sucks - just as I have always said and Consumer Repostrs has listed year after year. Too bad we can't enjoy the same great iPhone experience as our European and Canadian friends get. I doubt we'll ever get tethering.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

AT&T, instead of being a whiner, would have been better off to create a commercial with Luke Wilson touting, "Word is that Verizon had a chance to offer the iPhone." "Here is our scenario of what happened..."

Y'know, that is just a superb observation. You have to wonder why companies try all too often to be clever and contrived -- and more often than not, end up looking stupid -- when they could be simply telling it like it is.... (as Verizon did, and succeeded apparently).
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your comment implies that AT&T chad to choose one over the other. AT&T has been building out their network faster than anyone and spending more money than anyone since the iPhone was announced.

Granted, they were also woefully behind on ‘3G’ compared to Sprint and Verizon and have some technical issues do being GSM/3GSM on a 1900MHz spectrum, but that is being corrected.

Some cities have completely been switched to 850Mhz. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as popping up a tower where you need it, when you need it.

Your patch solution simply fails. New towers as the other poster suggested is the answer.

So who made you take my name off your signature.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdg1019 View Post

I jumped ship on both AT&T and Apple the day the Droid was released. Haven't regretted it for a moment. More reliable network and a much better phone to boot. Win, win situation.

Good for you! We're impressed.

Now, go away.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

End of the lawsuit seems to possibly imply a new extended agreement between Apple and AT&T that rolls well into AT&T and it's LTE deployment plans.

Back in September: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?ne...=news&pid=4800

Quote:

The AT&T rollout of HSPA 7.2 will be matched with the availability of multiple compatible wireless handsets and devices. The company expects to have six HSPA 7.2-compatible smartphones in its device portfolio by the end of the year, as well as two new LaptopConnect cards. This wide range of options will enable customers to quickly take full advantage of HSPA 7.2 speeds. In contrast, LTE devices are still in development.

As HSPA 7.2 is rolled out in each U.S. market, it will be supported by substantial additional wireless backhaul, the critical connections that carry traffic from cell sites to AT&T’s IP backbone network. This backhaul capacity, including thousands of new connections this year, is being designed to support not only HSPA 7.2, but also 4G LTE, which AT&T plans to begin trialing in 2010 and deploying in 2011.

“With HSPA 7.2, we’re making the nation’s fastest 3G network even faster, and we’ll be able to deploy this technology before LTE networks, devices and equipment grow to scale,” Stankey said. “Even as we look forward to LTE, we know that 3G will be the predominant mobile broadband network technology worldwide for smartphones for the next few years. AT&T’s strategy will deliver faster 3G speeds, while also allowing us to build the foundation for the 4G future.”

• Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdg1019 View Post

Really- how do you sync it?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I agree, very stupid of AT&T to file a lawsuit over a commercial where the truth is always fast and loose.

Then have a dream effect fading into the scenario showing some snotty brat kid, you know, the kind you see in the grocery store check out line with the unfit parent ignoring the screams and cries, at the expense of the rest of the people in line who would love to smack the sh*t out of that kid to give them something to cry about, have that sort of situation where the bratty kid is dressed with a Verizon like tee shirt and a Uncle Steve character asking would you like this (shows iPhone) and the snotty kid says, NO! It doesn't have MY app store, it doesn't have MY V-cast, no, no, noooooooo (stomping feet and holding breath) and a AT&T kid holding an iPhone just shaking his head in disbelief at the sour behavior being witnessed!

Then fade back to Luke Wilson with a tv behind him airing a Verizon "map for that" commercial and have him give a quick glance at the tv and then turn back to the camera and say, "And that whining still hasn't stopped!"

AT&T needs to learn the Obama mantra of Chicago style politics... 'You hit us, we'll hit you back ten times as hard!'

And all Verizon has to say is "you sleep with dogs, you bound to catch fleas!"
  • Reply 20 of 28
    On a related topic- Did you all see Tiger Wood's girlfriend # 1 flaunting her iPhone all over the news last night with Tiger's name on it's screen?