Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

do you really believe that AT&T pays Apple $700 for a phone that costs $180 to produce?

A lot of analysts believe so. Heck, you just have to divide the total income from the iPhone by the total number of iPhones sold for a given period. That is what these analysts have done. To get the total income from the iPhone you just have to look at the difference between the two turnover numbers Apple produces, actual and deferred income. Since only the iPhone contributes to the deferred income you can get a pretty good estimate of the iPhone generated income.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

So true about bad apps.

Where I work there are about 20 employees, 15 have the iPhone.

If you would put all our apps together, 75% would be the same and the total would be less then 100 different apps I figure.

So out of 100000 apps. About 100 are used here.

This is not scientific or anything, but still. Alot of apps are just useless.

If it doesn't exist, they should implement some kind of prescription service for devs. Pay each month, you stay.

If you don't pay, You are out.

If you downloaded an app that got canceled, it would still be on your phone but it would be gone from the Appstore.

My 0.02

I want 100 billion trillion apps!!!!
  • Reply 43 of 89
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

So out of 100000 apps. About 100 are used here.

There are probably trillions of webpages out there, you only use maybe 10000 per year. Does that mean the rest is useless?
  • Reply 44 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You got that right- Apple users only. Too bad- Apple really lost the living room- big time.

3 years and Meh.

Lost?

No one's won it yet.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Lost?

No one's won it yet.

Well ATV surely won't as non Apple users don't go near it. Blu-ray probably will- the figures will be through the roof now that they have wireless, youtube , netflix ,etc. And their price point is now $200 and the disc are mostly under $20.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I want 100 billion trillion apps!!!!

You Dr. Evil?
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch. I already have an iPhone for that crap.

but not everyone does. cause you can't get an iphone on all carriers and in some regions ATT blows so bad it is moronic to switch.

also some folks don't like the iphone/touch because the screen is too small. especially for e-reading and prime video viewing. they actually like the idea (myself included) of having a bigger screen so viewing those 720HD videos might be possible. Plus a bigger device means the possibility of a bigger battery. always a plus.

Quote:

For example, if I can stay with Verizon and keep a "simple" BlackBerry that's functional for work and personal life AND buy an "iPad" for all the other functions an iPhone offers - what's stopping me?

I predict that will be exactly the case. 3g or whatever will be optional (and unlocked) so if you want you can just wi-fi like a touch. or you can pony up a data plan like you would for a laptop and use both as needed and available.

I also predict that if there is any truth to those Qualcomm rumors about Apple buying a dual CDMA/GSM chip for an iphone device, it is actually the tablet (rumored to be using the iphone os, or one based off of it) that the chips will go into. not an actual phone.

I'm on ATT and was waiting for my contract to run out before getting the iPhone. I hit early upgrade late in November but I"m going to wait a couple of months and see if there's a tablet announcement. I feel like it is plausible they might announce in Feb, release in July to give folks a chance to produce books, magazines, reformatted apps etc. Because if the rumors about the tablet's functions (ipod, netbook, ereader etc) are true, I would rather give ATT data plan money on a tablet and keep my idiot phone for the rare call.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Also, my main reason for responding is just that it's tiresome to hear that same statement repeated over and over again, without foundation, without argument, and seemingly by rote.

you get that from either side of any rumor. LTE iphones, CDMA iphones, Blu-ray in the new computers, Apple TV getting a tv tuner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The greater risk is that people with an iPhone wont see the need for the tablet, which is part of the reason why it wont just be a 10" iPod Touch.

or the greater advantage is that they will target those for whom the iphone was too small for anything but calls.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

do you really believe that AT&T pays Apple $700 for a phone that costs $180 to produce?

I think it is fair to believe that ATT pays at least retail - $100 on the phones. remember that carriers don't make their money on the phones, but on the jacked up service plans. the flip of Apple making the software cheap to sell the not cheap hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.

says you. the thing is that for many 13 inches is too small for running major apps,even just Pages and such, so 10 inches would be way way too small. Also would it be logical for Apple to risk degrading their laptop market by making yet another Macbook rather than perhaps living up to Jobs implied promise of making a netbook when one could be made that was worthy of the Apple label. The Tablet could be that device. A netbook is designed for web browsing, email etc. It is not a mini laptop. Apple would add their ipod functions, apps etc because that's how they will make a device that is better. Not by bringing back the ibook with a touch screen
  • Reply 48 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How exactly would you know?

How do I know what I want?
  • Reply 49 of 89
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On the topic of AT&T?s cost, companies pay a wholesale cost for a product that is lower than the retail price (as you already know), but oft overlooked is that contractual exclusivity would likely negate this and make it more than the typical wholesale cost. AT&T gets the the iPhone to itself and they pay Apple handsomely for that benefit. This may not a per unit price increase but a flat upfront payment, some trade off, or some other payment type.

Most have been paying upwards of 500 dollars plus per iphone and even though companies have lost exclusivity i haven't read anything of this changing or competitors getting cheaper prices to carry the phone. The carriers are eating this cost directly because they know their customers want them and they aren't making hardly any money off the phone (we know this, look at AT&T fiscal announcements last year and this year, they have said they dont even make the money back on the iphone until near the tail end of the contract)

Applying this logic, whatever tablet device Apple decides to make we know is not going to be priced to get it into as many hands as possible unless it is available through a mobile carrier. You'd be looking at atleast a 399-499 device with a 2 year price data price (and you had better believe the data package will be more then 30 dollars a month, probably closer to 49 a month) or a 800-1000 dollar MSRP.

Any fanboy or hater knows Apple isnt going to cut their profits to get this device into the hands of consumer. So either the mobile retailer will or this device will fail outright like the Macbook Air (sorry kids, i know you hate to say it but my local Best Buy mac guy has even said the Air is their worst selling computer they have, and i personally have yet to see one in the wild. It does make for a cool in store demo piece though!)

Think logically about what will MOST LIKELY be in it.

A processor above the 3GS (hell...it could be the 3GS processor just not underclocked)

512 MB of RAM (it will most likely multitask like the iPhone unless they get an expose in there)

64-128 GB of Flash memory (this seems to be the trend here with Apple, but a cost cutting measure would see a harddrive being used with bigger memory capacity)

9inch screen (this would be the same for every model, the only differences would be in hard drive capacity, and this makes sense since i doubt resolution will be user controlled on a device like this)

Some kind of battery (idk i dont keep up with battery tech)

That would cover media, web surfing and a nice screen for media playback and reading. Doubt we'd see a full multitasking device like a mac seeing as how they cant even get it to work fully on the iPhone yet...Sure there are some things left out but seriously if you had a iphone/mac wtf would you do with this other than stroke your e-penis on here or try to pick up hippe chicks at starbucks?
  • Reply 50 of 89
    If this iSlate does not have some sort of quick note taking system that would be effective in a classroom or a meeting environment, it will not be any different than a big iPod Touch. Apple really needs to do this or they are going to loose college students on this product. Why do I want a 10 inch product that will not do the same thing as a laptop? I am not expecting beefy hardware, but I want enough to be able to write notes and read media. Is that too much in a touch enabled device? Hopefully not for Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quality > Quantity. Anyone with an iPhone or iPod touch makes that same determination within hours of owning one.

However, quantity does = greater sales. It's a known fact that when consumers have access to greater choice or customization of their desired product, sales increase.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robertritz View Post

If this iSlate does not have some sort of quick note taking system that would be effective in a classroom or a meeting environment, it will not be any different than a big iPod Touch. Apple really needs to do this or they are going to loose college students on this product. Why do I want a 10 inch product that will not do the same thing as a laptop? I am not expecting beefy hardware, but I want enough to be able to write notes and read media. Is that too much in a touch enabled device? Hopefully not for Apple.

If you read over various tablet threads, you'll notice that there is a long list of things Apple "must" do, or fail. Any tablet from Apple has to be cheap, run full OS X, run all iPhone apps, have at least a 12" screen, have no more than a 9" screen, output HD video, serve as a replacement for the AppleTV, get 12 hour battery life, have advanced handwriting recognition, have advanced voice recognition, solve the soft keyboard problem, act as a dockable iMac, and be able to accept stylus input, for starters.

Pretty clearly, no one can make the thing that internet posters demand, and whatever they do make is going to be met with a fair amount of jeering, because it doesn't incorporate some pet bit of business. In each case the particular bit of business will be a "deal breaker" and particularly tragic because it would have been "trivial" for Apple to incorporate same-- leading to dark speculation that the device has been intentionally "crippled" according to some obscure Apple plan to fuck over their customers.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If you read over various tablet threads, you'll notice that there is a long list of things Apple "must" do, or fail. Any tablet from Apple has to be cheap, run full OS X, run all iPhone apps, have at least a 12" screen, have no more than a 9" screen, output HD video, serve as a replacement for the AppleTV, get 12 hour battery life, have advanced handwriting recognition, have advanced voice recognition, solve the soft keyboard problem, act as a dockable iMac, and be able to accept stylus input, for starters.

Pretty clearly, no one can make the thing that internet posters demand, and whatever they do make is going to be met with a fair amount of jeering, because it doesn't incorporate some pet bit of business. In each case the particular bit of business will be a "deal breaker" and particularly tragic because it would have been "trivial" for Apple to incorporate same-- leading to dark speculation that the device has been intentionally "crippled" according to some obscure Apple plan to fuck over their customers.

You have accurately and thoroughly anticipated all of the arguments and complaints we will undoubtably hear when this product finally appears. Well done!
  • Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Who needs a tablet? Apple should just take Psystar's inventory and release a netbook already. (just kidding)
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

However, quantity does = greater sales. It's a known fact that when consumers have access to greater choice or customization of their desired product, sales increase.

Getting decent sales now is about akin to hitting the lottery. Everyone rushed the market to get their apps there, now quite a few are on the platform with more flooding in everyday making near clone apps of each other. Also we know now that Apple has destroyed with App Store with 99c apps. Everyone expects these apps to be at bottom of the barrel price, and when they arent they just sit there and languish or even worse they get pirated (i see people offering TOMTOM for 50 bucks on craigslist or selling a used iphone with TOMTOM installed for some astronomical price)

Greater quantity or choice is always a plus, but there is a point where it becomes saturation. If you dont know exactly what your looking for, you could spend hours if not days sifting through just a single category.

You cant advertise your app, so how do you get sufficient coverage of your program? This is a problem already, magnify three fold and its an even bigger issue.
  • Reply 56 of 89
    It's inevitable that the tablet will cross markets and usage line with both the iPhone/iPod Touch and Laptop markets, and there will be cannibalization in any number of directions, but is this a bad thing?

You don't hear Apple complaining that the iPhone is stealing iPod sales- of course not, because it's an upsell for Apple.

The iPhone is a compromise in many practical ways, but it's advantage is it's portability- and some people will absolutely compromise on the small screen to have that portability.

The tablet [if one set of rumors are to be believed over another] is geared as a better viewing experience, be it for watching video, surfing, or reading magazines, books, etc.. The larger screen will appeal to some people who aren't as concerned about being able to slip it into your pocket.

Laptops are for more involved tasks. I can't imagine doing heavy video editing on a 10" screen, and where's all the media going to go? If I hook up an external drive the portability is eliminated.

Apple is surely not betting on customers buying each of these devices [though I'm sure there will be those that do]. Depending on what YOU want to get out of each device, and what's important to you, will determine which one, or maybe two of these devices fit your needs.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I think Apple is concerned about the fast growing App Store. This is why they are coming with the in app purchase for free and paid apps. The number of apps is growing so fast and Apple can't close the door now but they can improve the the app store. I a sure that the developers with low app sale figures won't pay the $99 a and just quit.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Greater quantity or choice is always a plus, but there is a point where it becomes saturation. If you dont know exactly what your looking for, you could spend hours if not days sifting through just a single category.

This isn?t a physical dtore, it?s a virtual store where you can get to your ?aisle? or specific product quickly. It?s quite absurd and it seems like the same people that complained that apple?s ?control? of the App Store will lead to it?s failure are now saying that App Store?s excessive choice will be its downfall. Yet, the WebOS app store only has a few hundred and not doing so well, the Android app store is growing but it?s not very profitable so far and very fractured on many levels, and the less said about the other mobile OS app stores the better.

Quote:

You cant advertise your app, so how do you get sufficient coverage of your program? This is a problem already, magnify three fold and its an even bigger issue.

Since when? I haven?t used the App Store to search for an app type since its inception. I find them through reviews which lead to the direct App Store link or to the developer?s website which has a nifty Available on the iPhone App Store image which leads directly to the app.

PS: I have never paid for an IM app but I gladly spent $10 for Beejive. It?s well worth the price for a quality app. If you build well people will pay you for it. The only limiting factor with the App Store is the lack of a built-in developer set trail-period. Apple has the technology with their exploding rentals so it?s not a technical issue. I hope this comes with iPhone OS SDK v4.0.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    Quote:

This isn?t a physical dtore, it?s a virtual store where you can get to your ?aisle? or specific product quickly. It?s quite absurd and it seems like the same people that complained that apple?s ?control? of the App Store will lead to it?s failure are now saying that App Store?s excessive choice will be its downfall. Yet, the WebOS app store only has a few hundred and not doing so well, the Android app store is growing but it?s not very profitable so far and very fractured on many levels, and the less said about the other mobile OS app stores the better.

This falls hand and hand with lack of advertising. A developer trying to reach out to a new user wont have a way to do so because there is so much, their app will most likely fail. It's already a form of Russian Roulette if you'll make any decent money from the App Store now. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but take a look at the TV, i see people advertising their own iPhone app there because its the only way you can reach the masses. I had to say give in to advertising but there should be a smart way (a GENIUS way possibly?) to hone in on apps we make like due to downloaded apps or maybe preferences we have set through idk your apple profile.

Quote:

Since when? I haven?t used the App Store to search for an app type since its inception. I find them through reviews which lead to the direct App Store link or to the developer?s website which has a nifty Available on the iPhone App Store image which leads directly to the app.

You most likely fall under 10% of users who follow a developer or read app reviews. Most people i know get apps on impulse or they see it via TV commercial (hi pizza hut) or from a friend.

Quote:

PS: I have never paid for an IM app but I gladly spent $10 for Beejive. It?s well worth the price for a quality app. If you build well people will pay you for it. The only limiting factor with the App Store is the lack of a built-in developer set trail-period. Apple has the technology with their exploding rentals so it?s not a technical issue. I hope this comes with iPhone OS SDK v4.0.

Unfortunately you would think so but the number of people who pirate higher priced apps is quite astounding. Personally out of my ring of friends and my gf the highest price paid i think was 9.99 for Crystal Defenders (my bestfriend who is a hardcore gamer had it on 360 so he decided to get it for his 3GS) and Sonic the Hedgehog which was like 4.99. Everyone else sticks to the free/99c/jailbreak.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think Apple is concerned about the fast growing App Store. This is why they are coming with the in app purchase for free and paid apps. The number of apps is growing so fast and Apple can't close the door now but they can improve the the app store. I a sure that the developers with low app sale figures won't pay the $99 a and just quit.

Duh- that's a given. We've been saying all morning long that the number of apps means nothing- its the qualiity which is sorely lacking. And the censorship BS for the developers is pushing many to other venues.