Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

This falls hand and hand with lack of advertising. A developer trying to reach out to a new user wont have a way to do so because there is so much, their app will most likely fail. It's already a form of Russian Roulette if you'll make any decent money from the App Store now. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but take a look at the TV, i see people advertising their own iPhone app there because its the only way you can reach the masses. I had to say give in to advertising but there should be a smart way (a GENIUS way possibly?) to hone in on apps we make like due to downloaded apps or maybe preferences we have set through idk your apple profile.

This is different from "every other thing for sale in the world" how, exactly? Does Adobe sell a lot of software because Best Buy plasters their ads around the premises? Do purveyors of gadgets expect to be able to put up banners at Amazon?

Developers aren't precluded from advertising, or doing any promotional work they want, they just can't do it in the App Store. Seems like a lot of people are pretty use to figuring out the particulars of what they want by taking a look around, then purchasing it online or at a brick and mortar store.

How about music or books? How does the little guy cut through the clutter there?

Just as their are smaller outfits with limited exposure that must do aggressive promotion to get some mind share everywhere else, so it is with the App Store. It's unreasonable to expect Apple to run ad campaigns in addition to providing the bandwidth and infrastructure.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

You most likely fall under 10% of users who follow a developer or read app reviews. Most people i know get apps on impulse or they see it via TV commercial (hi pizza hut) or from a friend.

The reviews are just one form of “word of mouth”. I know a lot people who read the reviews, but mainly they are people like me who are into tech adn science and so they have sites Gizmodo and MacWorld in their RSS so they come across these apps. Sometimes, it’s also just a Google search away to finding a specific type of app. I agree that it needs to be better, but I disagree that it’s tough to find what you need. There is also App Genius, which is off to a good start.

How I easily buy apps from websites…

Quote:

Unfortunately you would think so but the number of people who pirate higher priced apps is quite astounding. Personally out of my ring of friends and my gf the highest price paid i think was 9.99 for Crystal Defenders (my bestfriend who is a hardcore gamer had it on 360 so he decided to get it for his 3GS) and Sonic the Hedgehog which was like 4.99. Everyone else sticks to the free/99c/jailbreak.

I have bought a lot of app for <$5 for my iPhone. I’m certain I’ve spent more on iPhone apps than I have buying apps for my Macs over the years. Most of this is due to the fact that I by a new Mac about every year or so so I don’t have to spend on updating the OS or iLife, and have no need for use of any professional apps outside of trial versions (and usually know how to restart the trial period).

As for the expensive apps, I did test TomTom app by installing a pirated version. I would have paid for it if I had liked it, mainly because I have the money and it’s just easier for me if I were to continue to use it. I didn’t see anything that my TomTom appliance offered so I deleted it. I really do think a trial period is necessary. Other mobile app stores have one. Again, I think it should be developer set, so it’s not an option unless the dev wants to offer it.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    Wired has a good PoV on why quantity is important to the future of the App Store and the future of quality apps.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wired has a good PoV on why quantity is important to the future of the App Store and the future of quality apps.

One would think the "premium" company would be more interested in quality rather than quantity then again McDonalds thinks it sells premium hamburgers too.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:

From the linked article: "...BulletFlight, an app for military snipers to calculate ballistics."

Good God, there's an app for that?
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

From the linked article: "...BulletFlight, an app for military snipers to calculate ballistics."

Good God, there's an app for that?

That's the Apple censorship board "going rogue".
  • Reply 67 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Duh- that's a given. We've been saying all morning long that the number of apps means nothing- its the qualiity which is sorely lacking. And the censorship BS for the developers is pushing many to other venues.

And how do you think you can get quality apps genius?

The market will correct itself. Quality apps will continue to sell while crap apps will slowly disappear because of very low or nonexistence demand. Every developer need to pay $99 a year to keep his app in the app store and once he stop paying the annual fee his app will be removed.

If you have a better system please share it with us instead of whining about it.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And how do you think you can get quality apps genius?

The market will correct itself. Quality apps will continue to sell while crap apps will slowly disappear because of very low or nonexistence demand. Every developer need to pay $99 a year to keep his app in the app store and once he stop paying the annual fee his app will be removed.

If you have a better system please share it with us instead of whining about it.

Well why do they need to pay $99/year? Who madeup that rule? Does Bono pay iTunes money every year to sell his music? NOoo.

Once that fee's not paid my app gets zapped once I run an update?
  • Reply 69 of 89
    Quote:

Well why do they need to pay $99/year? Who madeup that rule? Does Bono pay iTunes money every year to sell his music? NOoo.

When Bono gets audio production tools for free form Apple then they can start charging artists $99 a year for selling music on their store. Simply amazing that you can?t see any difference between musicians, their production companies, the iPhone SDK and the various virtual stores Apple runs.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:

When Bono gets audio production tools for free form Apple then they can start charging artists $99 a year for selling music on their store. Simply amazing that you can’t see any difference between musicians, their production companies, the iPhone SDK and the various virtual stores Apple runs.

Why must you always pop up like a genie in a bottle and answer for nasser? are you his second head?

You still haven't answered my 2nd question. What's simply astounding is that you can't differentiate between the need for Quality apps over the quantity of the apps.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Why are people still talking to this guy? I have ignore on but I can see the quoted remarks, they're predictably contentious without adding anything to the conversation.

The quicker everybody gets on the ignore train, and sticks with it, the quicker he'll either amend his ways or move on.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:

Once that fee's not paid my app gets zapped once I run an update?

Apple made that rule not me. Maybe you should fly to CA for the next Apple shareholder meeting and ask SJ yourself if you really want an answer.

You still didn't answer my question on how do you think we get quality apps in the app store?
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:

Apple made that rule not me. Maybe you should fly to CA for the next Apple shareholder meeting and ask SJ yourself if you really want an answer.

You still didn't answer my question on how do you think we get quality apps in the app store?

Dude, you're doing it wrong.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:

You still haven't answered my 2nd question. What's simply astounding is that you can't differentiate between the need for Quality apps over the quantity of the apps.

Bloody hell, how did you get off my ignore list.

It has been answered several times. Your assumption that a larger number of products means that there is a smaller number of quality products is erroneous. In fact, the more competition there is the more likely we?ll see quality product crop up to differentiate themselves. Of course, quality tends to take more than time that cheap crap and the store is quite new. We?ve already seen some very high quality products appear, which have been expressed in this very thread and many others since the store appears.

You?ve been given yet another nugget of truth which you?ll likely not comprehend. Back to the ignore list with you.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:

Dude, you're doing it wrong.

Can you remind me again how to add him to my ignore list?!

Edit: Oh.. Solipsism already has it in his sig
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Quote:

Bloody hell, how did you get off my ignore list.

In fact, the more competition there is the more likely we?ll see quality product crop up to differentiate themselves.

The very article that you linked us to backs me up on that very point. End of story- waste of my time.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:

Why are people still talking to this guy?

I think I undid it when I was using my iPhone earlier. Since there is so many replies to his idiocy I didn?t even realize it until after I posted. Let?s chock it up to a bout of temporary Teckstudtardism.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    I'm guilty of the occasional peak myself, and the inevitable desire to speak truth to stupid.

It's like having a little box in the corner that you know is just filled with bile and nonsense, but you can't resist lifting up the lid from time to time.

Still, nothing compares to the odd serenity brought on by cruising through a thread with all those hidden comments, when nobody is rising to the bait.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:

1.) By not numerically counting them as if that's significant.

2.) Not calling games and widgets apps- call them for what they are.

3.) Stop with the censorship- make it open.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:

I think I undid it when I was using my iPhone earlier. Since there is so many replies to his idiocy I didn’t even realize it until after I posted. Let’s chock it up to a bout of temporary Teckstudtardism.

BS- you are always reading my posts and you know it.