Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 328
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

(shrug) So don't buy the white one, buy the black one. It's my understanding that the black iPhone outsells the white one by like 8 to 1 anyway...

teckstud is just making a typical homophobic remark. The commercial is aimed squarely at people like him that are scared of being thought of as effeminate.

The actual figures are 1:3. For every four iPhones sold, three black and one white is sold on average. Last I checked people were basically half and half (female/male). Women buy black one's and men buy white one's. It says nothing about your masculinity or femininity either way.

Besides, everyone knows the cool people buy white ones.
  • Reply 22 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I remember when iPods were only available in white. iMacs too. And time capsules and Apple TV's.

But you don't hold them up to your head like white fuzzy earmuffs!
  • Reply 23 of 328
  • Reply 24 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Sorry, from my personal experience, the Droid simply can't compete with the Iphone with regards to speed, ease of use and functionality. It really says something when all they have here is an attack on aesthetics

but curious that the attack is the other phone is more aesthetic
  • Reply 25 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Wow.

Sure didn't take long to reach the bottom of that barrel. I find this kind of offensive. They might as well write "The iPhone is Gay" right across the screen.

I wonder if Adam LAmbert has a white iPhone? \
  • Reply 26 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

teckstud is just making a typical homophobic remark. The commercial is aimed squarely at people like him that are scared of being thought of as effeminate.

The actual figures are 1:3. For every four iPhones sold, three black and one white is sold on average. Last I checked people were basically half and half (female/male). Women buy black one's and men buy white one's. It says nothing about your masculinity or femininity either way.

Besides, everyone knows the cool people buy white ones.

What exactly did I say that was "homo-phobic" pleez?
  • Reply 27 of 328
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

way to go picking on a 4 yr old phone that redfined sexy and sleek. i guess if the droid comes out in another color than gunmetal or black you could say something
  • Reply 28 of 328
    These aren't the Droid commercials you've been looking for.
  • Reply 29 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Well, it's kinda true. I've never seen so many people fascinated with the looks of their phone or its appearance than I do with iPhone users (myself included).

You always hear bitching about "oh, I scratched the back of it... WHAT DO I DO!?", or "OMG, my keys slightly scratched the screen -- IT'S RUINED!"

Most other phone owners don't give a shit; they just keep using their devices, battle scars and all.

Yeah, well Moto should have some experience in this regard:

http://www.hi-mobile.net/motorola-phones-aura

For them to say they don't care about looks is just ridiculous.
  • Reply 30 of 328
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

gee, it's the proverbial pot calliing the kettle black.

so i take it that their marketing is suggesting that anything suggesting "femininity" is weak, sub-standard to "masculinity" - masculinity is superior to femininity.

very insightful marketing, motorola. how daft.

Yeah, that was my take: Verizon/Motorola to women: you suck. Oh, and any guys out there not prepared to use a flame thrower on the next thing that moves? You suck as well. Pussies.

But of course it's also hating on masculinity, redefining that down to a 12 year old ADD tantrum. Verizon/Motorola to men: you're dull witted morons. Here's some loud noises and fast moving things and shit. Assholes.
  • Reply 31 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

way to go picking on a 4 yr old phone that redfined sexy and sleek. i guess if the droid comes out in another color than gunmetal or black you could say something

And moto says looks don't matter. Pretty much that was the only selling point of that phone.
  • Reply 32 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, that was my take: Verizon/Motorola to women: you suck. Oh, and any guys out there not prepared to use a flame thrower on the next thing that moves? You suck as well. Pussies.

But of course it's also hating on masculinity, redefining that down to a 12 year old ADD tantrum. Verizon/Motorola to men: you're dull witted morons. Here's some loud noises and fast moving things and shit. Assholes.

Ouch! Strike a nerve or strike a pose?
  • Reply 33 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

I agree. And since this is apparently the best Motorola can do, I say we wish them the best of luck with their campaign and tell them: "You go, girl!"
  • Reply 34 of 328
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

My wife has that phone. Piece of crap.

As for the ad:

I really think it would be better if iPhone competitors would just tout their own products and stop targeting the iPhone. The iPhone is so popular that their attempts at attacking just come off as cheap and transparent. Make a better product, advertise it on its merits, etc. Let the consumer do the rest.
  • Reply 35 of 328
    Seems to me that these commercials are directed more toward 12yr olds. I mean chopping through bananas, throwing things at mannequins? come on. a bit ridiculous.

Also does this commercial seem to anyone else as if it were pulled from some brainwashing Sci-Fi scene?
  • Reply 36 of 328
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Yeah, well Moto should have some experience in this regard:

http://www.hi-mobile.net/motorola-phones-aura

For them to say they don't care about looks is just ridiculous.

Name me ONE company that isn't hypocritical

It's marketing/advertising -- deal with it
  • Reply 37 of 328
    Is this for real? Motorola puts out a phone ad that basically insults 51% of the buying public...women!

A bit sexist to me. I have a scuba diving, skydiving, snowboarding 25 year old daughter in Med school that looks like the blonde at the end of this ad only she's 5'11" and she has a white iPhone!

Sheez! Gimme a break!
  • Reply 38 of 328
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    I used to be a Senior IT Architect at Motorola. I quit because I couldn't work for their incompetent management anymore. Most of the IT Architects I know at Motorola use iPhones as their personal phones and take the MacBook Oro option for their company issued laptops. It's so bad that they have to hide their iPhones when they are at work in case someone in management sees it and chastises them. I have personally seen management idiots tell people they could not bring non-Motorola phones to work.
  • Reply 39 of 328
    It would be more effective if the Droid WAS faster. It is not faster than the 3GS according to testing I've seen.

It does multitask better... but, scientifically, isn't that a more feminine trait? har-har.

Still, the Droid has a lot going for it. I'd say it's the first direct competitor to the iPhone. Android OS is set to take off. That's good for all of us as the two duke it out.

For instance, as a result of Droid success -- and I don't know how Apple might pull this off -- I'd wager that the next iPhone OS release is going to be on a multi-core iPhone and it is going to allow simultaneous app execution.
  • Reply 40 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Someone should tell Motorola that the iphone is BOTH good looking, feels good in a hand AND is FAST.

Nice to see someone other than Apple actually advertise they have a phone.

Sorry, Moto, I'll take that blonde over a robot anyday.

I think the ad is great. It?s attacking some trivial aspect and then creating a perception that the iPhone isn?t fast because it?s more attractive. They don?t say it isn?t fast but they imply it brilliantly.

The great part is that the 3GS is faster than the Droid. Even the 5mpx camera has shown to have worse images than the 3Mpx camera in the 3GS, though that may have been to the odd rolling camera bug that was found.