Apple adds 3.33GHz quad-core Mac Pro, 2TB hard drive upgrades

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has outfitted its Mac Pro desktop machines with a new 3.33GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon upgrade option, at a cost of $1,200, as well as 2TB hard drives for the Mac Pro and Xserve

The new, faster processor for the Mac Pro is offered in addition to the basic 2.66GHz quad-core, and the 2.93GHz Intel Xeon, which costs an extra $400. The new "Nehalem" Xeon processor-equipped Mac Pros debuted in March. They feature an updated system architecture that delivers twice the performance of the previous model, and start at a price that was $300 lower than its predecessor.

The 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro starts at $2,499, while the 8-core system with two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors starts at $3,299. For comparison, adding two 2.93 GHz quad-core processors to the 8-core Mac Pro costs an additional $2,600.

Recent reports have suggested that Intel's new 6-core "Gulftown" processor could be headed to the Mac Pro in a future upgrade. The new Xeon processor is said to be nearly 50 percent faster than the current quad-core Xeons, while also using 50 percent less power.

Apple is also rumored to have short-term exclusive use of Intel's forthcoming i9 processor. The previous two Mac Pro lines also had similar exclusive arrangements with the chip maker.

Hundreds of dollars in savings on the Mac Pro line can be found in AppleInsider's Mac Pricing Guide:

Apple has also quietly introduced a 2TB option for the Mac Pro line, at a cost of $550 each, for a total potential capacity of 8TB. The hard drives are also available for the Xserve line of servers, which can now handle up to 6TB of internal storage.

Apple's Nehalem-based Xeon Xserves were introduced in April. They deliver an 89 percent improvement in performance per watt, and up to twice the overall performance of the previous models. Previously, the systems could be configured with up to 3TB of internal storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    The Mac Pro needs a new set of graphics options much more than it needs new processors. It's embarrassing the way that it stands.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    Sounds good & all, but I do gotta agree with @jukes!

Wish the MacBook Pro was more upgraded like this.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    One can dream....

Maybe I can afford one of these in three years or so, but by that time new Mac Pros would probably be built into the human brain at birth. Maybe instead of human brain.

On a positive note though, this is a hell of a lot of processing power. New movies and video games moving to 1080p I guess we actually need some new hardware for developers to keep up.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    So now I can buy a MAC PRO (!) with a 3.33Ghz Quad CPU for $3,699?! WOW!!

And I even get 3GB of RAM (!) and a GeForce 120 !!

I am truly BLOWN AWAY </sarcasm>

• Reply 5 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

One can dream....

Maybe I can afford one of these in three years or so, but by that time new Mac Pros would probably be built into the human brain at birth. Maybe instead of human brain.

You do sound like you are in dire need for some brain transplant.

• Reply 6 of 78
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

You do sound like you are in dire need for some brain transplant.

heh yea thanks for making fun of my misery of not being able to pay 3,000 for a machine of my dreams.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    a little roadmap having been published before wouldn't have done any harm.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    I'd rather see the entry level Mac Pro come with an i7 processor. That would save $500 right there. The Xeon's are outrageous in price.

And while they are at it, better graphics cards would be nice too.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

heh yea thanks for making fun of my misery of not being able to pay 3,000 for a machine of my dreams.

You are welcome.

However, you can have a Mac Pro and a pretty good one.

Consider this: a Core i7 920, 12 GB of RAM, 1TB HD (or more), and a Geforce 9800GTX 512MB or a Radeon 4890 1GB (+ all the other stuff required: nice case, whisper quite power supply and fans, DVD-RW, etc). Install a RETAIL Mac OS X SL and run it NATIVELY so you can update directly from Apple (no hacks).

Cost? about $1,500US.

That is a far more powerful system than the entry Quad Mac Pro and costs $1,000US less.

You will be breaking Apple User License by installing Mac OS X on a non-apple PC, *BUT* you will not be stealing/pirating if you are buying a *retail* install DVD of SL.

I am running a Hackintosh and it works like a dream. I am using it because like you, I did not had enough money to replace my aging G5 PowerMac with a new Mac Pro.

If you are interested I can show you where to start and believe me, it is faaaaar easier than you might think.

• Reply 10 of 78
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    By the way, you can always get a GTX285 now for the mac pro. In any case, it makes no sense to buy one of these now with the newer fater models probably a few months away although I would expect the initial prices to be quite high for the best models. Also why on earth would anyone pay $500 for a 2TB drive from apple when you can get the same or better drive (WD black 2TB) or even the new segate sata 600 one for no more than $300?
  • Reply 11 of 78
    These Mac Pro's are too overpriced for what you get. Apple needs to show their desktops some love and attention.

They're leaving too big a price gap. A price gap that is being exploited by Hackintoshes.

Using an i7 and saving $500 off of the low end Mac Ppo price bBrings it in line with the iMac, with a 27" screen included. The value equation is wrong here. I know the iMac procesor is less powerful but it's still an area that Apple needs to look at.

Apple can't be using cannabalizing of laptop of iMac sales as a justification. They are two different markets.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    I did just that Nano Tube. My HAckintosh has been workign like a charm since September. I paid a little more but I'm in Canada. It took me more time to build my PC than to install the OS. Since then "It's just worked"
  • Reply 13 of 78
    I never understood why anyone would buy Apple RAM or HD's. $500/ drive is outrageous. LOL Why does Apple do this? Even companies would rather have their techs buy drives and RAM 3rd party.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I never understood why anyone would buy Apple RAM or HD's. $500/ drive is outrageous. LOL Why does Apple do this? Even companies would rather have their techs buy drives and RAM 3rd party.

I never did until my last MBP. The price was about $20 more Apple?s 4GB RAM upgrade over getting 4GB from Newegg. They seem to really come down on their RAM prices. They are still more than HP and Dell, but not my much. Overall, for the upgrade I got is the right choice.

Granted, I didn?t get to keep the old 2GB but I would have never used it and this gives me a 3 year warranty from Apple. Also, i?ve had problems with 3rd-party RAM before. Not often and could always return it, but that can be a problem. I?ve never had a single problem with Apple?s RAM.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

You are welcome.

However, you can have a Mac Pro and a pretty good one.

Consider this: a Core i7 920, 12 GB of RAM, 1TB HD (or more), and a Geforce 9800GTX 512MB or a Radeon 4890 1GB (+ all the other stuff required: nice case, whisper quite power supply and fans, DVD-RW, etc). Install a RETAIL Mac OS X SL and run it NATIVELY so you can update directly from Apple (no hacks).

Cost? about $1,500US.

That is a far more powerful system than the entry Quad Mac Pro and costs $1,000US less.

You will be breaking Apple User License by installing Mac OS X on a non-apple PC, *BUT* you will not be stealing/pirating if you are buying a *retail* install DVD of SL.

I am running a Hackintosh and it works like a dream. I am using it because like you, I did not had enough money to replace my aging G5 PowerMac with a new Mac Pro.

If you are interested I can show you where to start and believe me, it is faaaaar easier than you might think.

That's interesting. Care to enlighten me, please?
  • Reply 16 of 78
    The MacPro line is going to die.

What the heck is this speed bump? It's about nothing.

Remember when the PowerMac's sold like hotcakes because of the awesome Dual G5 processors in them?

Yea it was basically two computers in one box, Virginia Tech even made a supercomputer out of them that got third place in the world. Video rendering made work farms, geek consumers went nuts with all that power, 3D game developers took out ads in all the Mac related magazines. (then the processor switch bomb dropped of course)

That Dual G5 was so fast for it's time, with a fast bus on each processor that one can run two 3D video games at once. I know I had one, my wallet is still sore from that choice.

Ok, now given that you know that people buy based upon the price for performance, what the heck is a measly 8 core MacPro with common Intel processors going to do when Intel releases the 40 core, 80 core and 100 core processors? as early as NEXT YEAR!

Are these going into Apple's vertical one size fits all consumer Mac's lineup?

Hell NO!! Too expensive and specialized for all that power.

These awesome processors are going into specialty PC boxes for the video industry and that means Windows and the 3rd party software will follow. Even Apple most likely already has their video software running on Windows just as a precaution.

Goodbye MacPro. Goodbye any left of the pro's using Apple's gear and perhaps their software, they will have to follow the processor power. Because time = money and more processor power the better.

This is Apple's problem, a limited product line. They should be much more flexible.

The X-server is not even worth buying now that they use common Intel processors like anyone else, the X-RAID IS GONE! POOF!

The MacPro is next to be gone. Bye Bye!

Apple changed their name from Apple Computer for a reason, they are no longer a "computer" company, but rather a consumer electronics product company.

Apple makes stuff that sometimes can be used in business and enterprise, like the G5's or the iPhone, but Apple doesn't specialize in that market, favoring the consumer market instead.

Now unless Apple changes up and makes OS X run on these huge core processors and offers special order MacPro's with them, kiss the MacPro use amongst most power needing professionals goodbye.

It would be a radical change from Apple's limited vertical product line, a much needed change.

You have to go with the flow and Apple likes to force it's way.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

a little roadmap having been published before wouldn't have done any harm.

Yeah, it would. Apple doesn't do roadmaps.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The MacPro line is going to die.

What the heck is this speed bump? It's about nothing.

Remember when the PowerMac's sold like hotcakes because of the awesome Dual G5 processors in them?

Yea it was basically two computers in one box, Virginia Tech even made a supercomputer out of them that got third place in the world.

That Dual G5 was so fast for it's time, with a fast bus on each processor that one can run two 3D video games at once.

Ok, now given that you know that people buy based upon the price for performance, what the heck is a measly 8 core MacPro with common Intel processors going to do when Intel releases the 40 core, 80 core and 100 core processors?

Are these going into Apple's vertical one size fits all consumer Mac's lineup?

Hell NO!! Too expensive and specialized for all that power.

These awesome processors are going into specialty PC boxes for the video industry and that means Windows and the 3rd party software will follow. Even Apple most likely already has their video software running on Windows just as a precaution.

Goodbye MacPro. Goodbye any left of the pro's using Apple's gear, they will have to follow the processor power.

This is Apple's problem, a limited product line. They should be much more flexible.

The X-server is not even worth buying now that they use common Intel processors like anyone else, the X-RAID IS GONE! POOF!

The MacPro is next to be gone. Bye Bye!

Apple changed their name from Apple Computer for a reason.

Good job at being totally wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    As much as I have no desire to get a MacPro ever, and am actually considering a 27" iMac, I'm starting to get on the side of the mid-tower or i7 folks. I think having a headless option at $1500-1800 would do a lot to help the range at this point. But, for those that will do anything to save $300, you will always be stuck fighting off Hackintoshes.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Good job at being totally wrong.

Good job at telling me I'm totally wrong without giving your views why.

Your reply is nothing more than a troll, are you trolling?

Because you can be ignored. :cool: