Comments

• Reply 41 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

that redfined sexy and sleek

LOL you need to get some taste.
  • Reply 42 of 328
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    When I saw that ad on TV I was like wtf? I have a Touch, and it has speed, apps, connectivity. Those who have iPhones even have GPS and other nicities like a nice camera. Droid was late to the game, it is not as good in terms of apps. It does not have as good an implementation of multitouch, and if it wasn't for google OS motorolla would have been dead. Plus as many have pointed out there is a pink moto razr.

These ads do sound like a 12 year old boy attacks on a phone. Both because they are stupid, and because the party making the crude "you are gay" remarks has nothing of substance to offer.

I kinda hope that droid is a sucess, and that it overwhelms Verizon's networks the same as iPhone did to ATT. Then verizon will put restrictions on the phone same as they always did, and iPhone will continue to be king.
  • Reply 43 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is this for real? Motorola puts out a phone ad that basically insults 51% of the buying public...women!

A bit sexist to me. I have a scuba diving, skydiving, snowboarding 25 year old daughter in Med school that looks like the blonde at the end of this ad only she's 5'11" and she has a white iPhone!

Sheez! Gimme a break!

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    If your product can't unseat the competition, just call them gay or something.

Smooth.
  • Reply 45 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

If you can't compete on merit, try to position the competition in a negative way. It's highly effective marketing toward males if you can make your product look like it's a guy's thing. Think truck and beer advertisements and it's easy to see the masters of this kind of advertising.

The Droid is a capable device, but it's not anything special. Being "open" does not play into any tangible benefit for me, and while its network is clearly superior, my experience with it at the Verizon store is best summarized as "meh". And it's also not an iPod, which still makes the iPhone highly attractive to metrosexuals and this pick-up truck drivin' and tractor ownin' hayseed.

Furthermore, I don't think the people to whom this kind of marketing appeals is necessarily an iPhone customer anyway. It might take some of the blush off the iPhone, but I think most people buy the iPhone for a multitude of reasons other than it's just cool and a status symbol (certainly, some do for those reasons alone).
  • Reply 46 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

For that matter, Motorola might've just given Apple a great idea--start selling a hot pink iPhone for the "Princess demographic".

It's not necessary. There's a case for that.

About the white colour, every iPod/iPhone comes with white earphone...

The strategy of Motorola at that ad would be OK if people didn't know the iPhone. But everyone knows it, unlike knowing the Droid. So, for me the ad says, if you want to recognize our Droid phones, just look for the ugliest products on the market
  • Reply 47 of 328
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allotrope View Post

It's a good Ad, will be interesting to see how Apple responds.

It's nice to see Motorola talk about the Droid speed as racehorse duct taped to a "Scud missile" fast.

WTH?!

Let's see... Scud missile made by USSR, used on Americans by Iraq during Desert Thunder / Desert Storm...

Apple should come back with a commercial touting the "Scud was a Dud!" and our iPhone is Patriot missile fast... then show a Patriot missile blowing a Scud missile out of the air!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T68K3Twrm20
  • Reply 48 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Make a better product, advertise it on its merits, etc. Let the consumer do the rest.

Apple used to do this with their "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. Now Justin Long just stands there watching PC unveil the next negative attack ad on Windows. Microsoft, however, is now extolling all the cool things you can do with WIndows 7. Whether you like their ads or not, at least they're positive and selling capabilities rather than going negative. Apple should hire Microsoft's ad agency.
  • Reply 49 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple used to do this with their "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. Now Justin Long just stands there watching PC unveil the next negative attack ad on Windows. Microsoft, however, is now extolling all the cool things you can do with WIndows 7. Whether you like their ads or not, at least they're positive and selling capabilities rather than going negative. Apple should hire Microsoft's ad agency.

Totally agree.
  • Reply 50 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zentec View Post

Think truck and beer advertisements and it's easy to see the masters of this kind of advertising.

but in that truck and beer ads you can usually see some hot chicks, too.
  • Reply 51 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If your product can't unseat the competition, just call them gay or something.

Smooth.

Just like in politics- huh?

Or call them stupid- like Justin Long's been calling PC for years. See it hurts when the shoe is on the other foot-no?
  • Reply 52 of 328
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's not a princess, it's a robot," the commercial says of the Droid.

A second tv ad commercial Apple can do...

When we think robot, we think machine...

When we think machine, we think of a "Out of Order!" sign hanging from it...

Then show the clip of "Spaceballs" where Rick Moranis character complains that "Even in the future, nothing works!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1JEOxF3hw
  • Reply 53 of 328
    PURELY a PUNK MOVE by Motorola.
  • Reply 54 of 328
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Haha yea I'm a pc ads. Those are awesome, but remember they are not sexist, they just pick on stuffy business dudes that don't keep their promises. That is acceptible in the society, at least much more so then sexism.
  • Reply 55 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicv View Post

The one that provide a good product is the one that focus on doing its own thing... not criticize competitors product...

Again, everyone keeps mentioning this. Apple does this with their iPhone ads, just focusing on it's capabilities and the cool things it can do. But unfortunately has taken a wrong turn with their Mac ads.

Without the iPhone companies wouldn't even know to create a phone like this, let alone advertise it!
  • Reply 56 of 328
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

It is obvious this add is aimed at young men (boys) 14 to 21 that haven't realized their inner fantasy is to marry a beauty queen someday. The rough and tough graphics with plenty of things that "blow up real good" is perfect imagery for these guys. In a funny way this ad is more about style over substance than any of the iPhone ads have been. You don't really get to see the phone until the final seconds and guess what it looks like the iPhone or many of the clones out there already. This is a lifestyle fantasy ad and does nothing to inform us on the advantages of the Droid other than its a guy phone that wont emasculate you when you are asking your mom what she is making for dinner.

If I was Steve, I'd take my iPhone, call one of the most ferocious feminist groups, and let them crucify Motorola for being sexist!!
  • Reply 57 of 328
    Only a queen could call out a princess. So I wonder who came up with this add and to him/ her I'd say DANGER! you will probably get mugged while carrying your iphone ( you know you own one, admit it) thanks to the perception you helped create.

Homophobia in advertising... That had to be a new low; Motorola couldn't come up with anything better, other than an insult. Good Job, Im sure individuals of questionable intelligence will buy the droid.

• Reply 58 of 328
    Quote:

Again, everyone keeps mentioning this. Apple does this with their iPhone ads, just focusing on it's capabilities and the cool things it can do. But unfortunately has taken a wrong turn with their Mac ads.

Without the iPhone companies wouldn't even know to create a phone like this, let alone advertise it!

Well there is no need to attack when you're on top.

But when you're on the bottom trying to unseat someone you attack- go negative.
  • Reply 59 of 328
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajavila85 View Post

Oh man... Thems is fightin words!!! I guess motorola is just jealous cuz he can't have an iphone!!! Cuz then they'd know the truth!!! Lolz!!!

And Verizon too! They are just poor monkeys who haven't got their share of banana
  • Reply 60 of 328
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Desperation.

Can you blame Motorola? Their future depends on this... and if you were in their position, you too would be throwing the kitchen sink at Apple.

Personally, I think these commercials are lame, but for Motorola's sake, I hope this recent marketing blitz is successful. I sure hope whatever they've sold offsets the money they have thrown at this.