Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 61 of 328
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Sort of reminds me of the ads against President Obama during McCain's campaign that compared candidate Obama to the superficial celebrity Britney Spears type. That worked out really well for McCain didn't it?
  • Reply 62 of 328
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    907 4 |).-0i7?

57i|_|_ /<4|\\|7.
  • Reply 63 of 328
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Ya, but uh - well, my iPhone is black. That's still masculine, right?

Of course it is!

This ad is BS. One of teh most ridicule ads I've ever watched \

Besides, it sheer sexism!
  • Reply 64 of 328
    the current design has served the consumer masses well, all the 14-21 year olds. Time for a business B-Phone. That's what the Droid and Blackberry are aimed at, and what the advertising is trying to point out. And one size fits all, great so far. but the competition is (just) starting to catch up.
  • Reply 65 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajavila85 View Post

Oh man... Thems is fightin words!!! I guess motorola is just jealous cuz he can't have an iphone!!! Cuz then they'd know the truth!!! Lolz!!!

I wonder who still thinks Apple and Verizon will be teaming up for the next iPhone. I?m sure there are some saucer eyed Verizon fans that expect a 64GB LTE iPhone to pop up next summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sure didn't take long to reach the bottom of that barrel. I find this kind of offensive. They might as well write "The iPhone is Gay" right across the screen.

BTW - Isn't it kind of a questionable advertising tactic to piss off one of the largest demographics buying smartphones today, i.e - young women?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If your product can't compete, just call the competition gay or something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zentec View Post

If you can't compete on merit, try to position the competition in a negative way.

Marketing is marketing. You don?t pull punches unless it?s good for business. As it?s been pointed out, it?s using deep rooted perceptions to move a product. I think it?s a great ad from start to finish but it does make me wonder if they run out of positive talking points to be going down this road already. It?s one thing to imply it?s a "guy?s guy phone? it?s another to incinerate that if you use an iPhone you have a vagina (hyperbole for an attempt at comedy).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

And moto says looks don't matter. Pretty much that was the only selling point of that phone.

What is sad about the Droid is that Verizon sent it back saying it was too square and not appealing for women, yet this is the result for a more elegant phone for men and women. Makes sense they are marketing it toward young men. The odd thing is you have to be geeky enough to want it for it?s OS and styling yet not intelligent enough to know that the iPhone is faster, has a better OS and can do a lot more with a simple jailbreak. Of course, for those who can?t or won?t move from Verizon it?s the best choice out there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

It would be more effective if the Droid WAS faster. It is not faster than the 3GS according to testing I've seen.

It does multitask better... but, scientifically, isn't that a more feminine trait? har-har.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

LOL you need to get some taste.

iFail has a point. The Moto Razr was a phone design that everyone gawked at when it came out. Super thin with laser etched numbers. It didn?t matter that it wasn?t the best at making calls, neither was the iPhone. Of course, the iPhone has a lot more substance than the RAZR ever did but the sexiness was there and people were buying them. The problem is that Moto couldn?t evolve their product to make it viable in the long run. Can they now?
  • Reply 66 of 328
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even the 5mpx camera has shown to have worse images than the 3Mpx camera in the 3GS, though that may have been to the odd rolling camera bug that was found.

My cousin has a Sony Ericsson with an 8MP camera, yet the pictures are lame! My Nokia does a better job with its 3MP camera! It's not only a question of MP, but also the image processor and much more...
  • Reply 67 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Can you blame Motorola? Their future depends on this... and if you were in their position, you too would be throwing the kitchen sink at Apple.

Personally, I think these commercials are lame, but for Motorola's sake, I hope this recent marketing blitz is successful. I sure hope whatever they've sold offsets the money they have thrown at this.

Look at all the money Apple threw at Justin Long and still only has 10%.
  • Reply 68 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just like in politics- huh?

Or call them stupid- like Justin Long's been calling PC for years. See it hurts when the shoe is on the other foot-no?

Portraying PCs as square and uncool is one thing . . . going the homophobia route because your device isn't the Great iPhone Killer you said it was, is a totally different scenario.

And trying to beat Apple at the marketing game is like trying to shoot pool with a rope.
  • Reply 69 of 328
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I had been very impressed with Verizon's ad campaign so far. Really hit AT&T where it hurts with a very true ad you couldnt argue with.

This ad is the opposite. Back to random, indefensible emotional statements. In this case its worse, it offends many more people than it impresses.

If offends iPhone owners. Not a good thing.

Offends women, offends non-teenages, offends business people.

Overall the ad offends everyone other than teenage boys who probably don't have the money anyway unless mommy or daddy get them a phone.

It is not the way to sell a large number of phones. Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot. This might be the end of Droid.
  • Reply 70 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Name me ONE company that isn't hypocritical

It's marketing/advertising -- deal with it

Mazda
  • Reply 71 of 328
    Quote:

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.

Droid is such a craptastic phone...cheap ass keyboard...I can't believe that is considered a plus in anyone eyes, also means the phone was never planned for an international market...Gold inlay? talk about late 80/90's cliche, I need a sweater vest, id bracelet with name engraved, a pair of SKIDs shorts, and some flip-down hi-tops...FAIL, looks cheap, feels even cheaper.

so bravo, since most 12-years in the U.S. will be signing up to a 2-year subsidized phone plan...muahahaha, Verizon is genius digging in to those deep pockets of tweenie boys! awesome strategy...please mum, sign me up for two years, I will take out the trash every week! Verizon's LONG term strategy is well...non-existent.

Let me stress, Verizon, your network blows, who cares if i have 3G coverage, if I can't surf and talk on the phone. Love those rural backwards 3G users, most can't afford dental care, why would they be buying a droid, let alone signing up on unlimited data plan for 2 years? See it's rather easy to throw stereotypes around.

Android is already fracturing, so good luck developers with 20+ versions of your same app. Getting paid for extra development, iDONT! The beauty of a closed system with a closed UI experience, priceless. Good luck with getting 50K apps that are not duplicates of the same app but for a different phone. LOL..

Seems the gayness verizon is talking about is...incredibly implementation, international compliant standards, incredible "chic" design, high-profitability, closed system for control over standards and designs.....Verizon and Droid, iDont want to be taken serious! This is why apple is eating your lunch and selling ya back the refuse.

These commercials prove that verizon and motorola have no strategy to go against the iphone or even at&t for that matter. Ah the beautiful inherent self-destruction of a poorly executed marketing plan...glorious...
  • Reply 72 of 328
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

This says it all.
  • Reply 73 of 328
    I'm not going to buy a Droid phone until it comes with a built-in switchblade. It also has to come with a chain to hook to my belt, so it won't fall out of my back pocket when I ride my Hawg. Until then, it's just another girly-man phone.
  • Reply 74 of 328
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

My cousin has a Sony Ericsson with an 8MP camera, yet the pictures are lame! My Nokia does a better job with its 3MP camera! It's not only a question of MP, but also the image processor and much more...

Sounds like my buddy who constantly brags about his Pre's ability to multitask. I think it's hilarious that while it does multitask, the battery won't last much more than an hour when he does so. He's always touting the coolness of his phone while he sits frantically next to the nearest electrical outlet... lol
  • Reply 75 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Sort of reminds me of the ads against President Obama during McCain's campaign that compared candidate Obama to the superficial celebrity Britney Spears type. That worked out really well for McCain didn't it?

Well he kinda looks Britneyish, smiling while shaking Ms. Salahi's hand.
  • Reply 76 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

If I was Steve, I'd take my iPhone, call one of the most ferocious feminist groups, and let them crucify Motorola for being sexist!!

Those same feminist groups that came to the aid of Sarah Palin for the vitriolic attacks by some of those in the media and the Good 'Ole Boy politicians. Feminist groups have showed their true colors. They have lost all credibility in crusading against Sexism...
  • Reply 77 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Sounds like my buddy who constantly brags about his Pre's ability to multitask. I think it's hilarious that while it does multitask, the battery won't last much more than an hour when he does so. He's always touting the coolness of his phone while he sits frantically next to the nearest electrical outlet... lol

I have my iPhone plugged in all day at work, and.......?
  • Reply 78 of 328
    Quote:

Well there is no need to attack when you're on top.

But when you're on the bottom trying to unseat someone you attack- go negative.

Did teckstud just concede that the Iphone is on top..

.....wow man I congratulate you on your progress...
  • Reply 79 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

Droid is such a craptastic phone...cheap ass keyboard...I can't believe that is considered a plus in anyone eyes, also means the phone was never planned for an international market...Gold inlay? talk about late 80/90's cliche, I need a sweater vest, id bracelet with name engraved, a pair of SKIDs shorts, and some flip-down hi-tops...FAIL, looks cheap, feels even cheaper.

so bravo, since most 12-years in the U.S. will be signing up to a 2-year subsidized phone plan...muahahaha, Verizon is genius digging in to those deep pockets of tweenie boys! awesome strategy...please mum, sign me up for two years, I will take out the trash every week! Verizon's LONG term strategy is well...non-existent.

Let me stress, Verizon, your network blows, who cares if i have 3G coverage, if I can't surf and talk on the phone. Love those rural backwards 3G users, most can't afford dental care, why would they be buying a droid, let alone signing up on unlimited data plan for 2 years? See it's rather easy to throw stereotypes around.

Android is already fracturing, so good luck developers with 20+ versions of your same app. Getting paid for extra development, iDONT! The beauty of a closed system with a closed UI experience, priceless. Good luck with getting 50K apps that are not duplicates of the same app but for a different phone. LOL..

Seems the gayness verizon is talking about is...incredibly implementation, international compliant standards, incredible "chic" design, high-profitability, closed system for control over standards and designs.....Verizon and Droid, iDont want to be taken serious! This is why apple is eating your lunch and selling ya back the refuse.

These commercials prove that verizon and motorola have no strategy to go against the iphone or even at&t for that matter. Ah the beautiful inherent self-destruction of a poorly executed marketing plan...glorious...

LOOOLZZ!! hahahahahah!!!

Agree on everything you said man!!

I LMAO on that part: "......please mum, sign me up for two years, I will take out the trash every week! Verizon's LONG term strategy is well...non-existent...."
  • Reply 80 of 328
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatever- View Post

Markting 101:

If you can't have a fast phone that is also pretty, just say "pretty is for girls" xD

Face it, this ad is simply code for "the iPhone is gay".

Pretty juvenile, but as others have stated, that's the target audience.

If anything, being an attractive product to women is a marketing plus, not minus. That's bigger potential target demo than insecure males.