Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 81 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can you seriously see any NFL player with a white iPhone?

Do you seriously think there are no gay football players?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5190140

Quote:

Even the white iPod works. But there's something about holding a white object up to your head that doesn't look quite right unless you have a Chiwawa stuffed in your purse.

You mean, doesn't look quite heterosexual?

Quote:

But you don't hold them up to your head like white fuzzy earmuffs!

No, that's not a gays-are-effeminate homophobic slur at all, is it?

Quote:

I wonder if Adam LAmbert has a white iPhone? \

I wouldn't think a heterosexual "stud" like you would even know who Adam Lambert is.

Quote:

Ouch! Strike a nerve or strike a pose?

You're good with those snarky comments. How gay is that?! And the cute exclamation point in your siggy. And the cute little Apple graphic, too.

Why don't you be a real man and come out of the closet, tech"stud".

Like I did.
  • Reply 82 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Back to random, indefensible emotional statements. In this case its worse, it offends many more people than it impresses.

If offends iPhone owners. Not a good thing.

Offends women, offends non-teenages, offends business people.

I agree that it wreaks of desperation, but I disagree with the overall effectiveness of the ad. The numbers should be in. Verizon and Moto should know what the average gender and age group that is buying their product. If it was being being bought by 50yo women I can assure this ad would never have been made.

I have to assume that they think the demographic they are alienating already aren?t Droid customers. This is what screams desperation on their part. Instead of trying to win these customers over by pointing the clear advantages they seem to now be ignoring them altogether to focus on a very select group of individuals with arguably immoral tactics. Note that I fully support this ads? marketing merit while condemning it?s message.

Also, the whole Apple equates to gay isn?t new. There are plenty of humourous images out there if you dare do a search. Safe Search is recommended.
  • Reply 83 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Sort of reminds me of the ads against President Obama during McCain's campaign that compared candidate Obama to the superficial celebrity Britney Spears type. That worked out really well for McCain didn't it?

I know right, my friends....hmm I see some strange parallels....

old uptight ugly outclassed manifestation (mcCain/motorola) who picks a terrible running partner (palin/verizon) that on the surface seems to be appealling (verizon's 3G non simultaneous data/voice) to hopefully save their campaign which is outflanked by a young attractive and intelligent upstart (iphone)....ironically, lets see how it takes motorola to quietly disappear in the night...
  • Reply 84 of 328
    Sexist trailer trash talk is not appealing. This ad has so many psychological problems. Wouldn't touch that company with a 10-ft pole.
  • Reply 85 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I wouldn't think a heterosexual "stud" like you would even know who Adam Lambert is.

You're good with those snarky comments. How gay is that?! And the cute exclamation point in your siggy. And the cute little Apple graphic, too.

Like I did.

What closet?

Of course there are gay football players but are any out?

Who doesn't know Glambert?
  • Reply 86 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

These ads do sound like a 12 year old boy attacks on a phone. Both because they are stupid, and because the party making the crude "you are gay" remarks has nothing of substance to offer.

Its funny, I have a friend who is kind of like a techno-geek, who at work loves to talk about this and that about computers, trying to make himself sound like what he's talking about nobody knows...He wound up buying an HTC G1 Dream. But the reality is, 6 months before Android phone was released I mentioned the new Android platform to him and he had no idea what I was talking about.

My friend loves to pride himself as if he is THE TECHNO-GEEK. But again, the realty is he is more like a 12 year old boy wanting to be in the in crowd of computer geeks. That's why he bought the Android HTC phone. Because its "geeky" and "cool" like that.

I am not saying the phone is not a good phone. I know it is a good alternative at this point to the iPhone and will only get better with time. But these TECHNO-GEEK wannabe cool people by having the Android which somehow makes them smarter and cooler...

Turned out after having the phone for a while he wasn't that happy with it.
  • Reply 87 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

but curious that the attack is the other phone is more aesthetic

Why not? Every time this site showcases a non-Apple product, you can't go more than 5 comments down before someone will say it's ugly. Followed by a bunch of people agreeing with him/her/it on the subject. Most of the time it's on products where aesthetics really don't factor in. Who gives a crap if some Apple TV competitor isn't as pretty as Apple's offering if it is cheaper and more functional but people on here act like it's the only thing that matters.
  • Reply 88 of 328
    Sweet! A German site just released a pic of the next manly phone Moto will be debuting at CES next month. My balls are dropping just looking at this phone.
  • Reply 89 of 328
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    "It's not a princess, it's a robot."

No, it's a cliche-ridden ad clinging to an adolescent mindset.

So not only has the Droid eliminated itself from 50% of the purchasing public, it has also alienated itself from serious business users. What a great way to artificially narrow down the demographics of potential customers.

One more ad like this and Droid might as well tie itself to the Hummer and be done with it.
  • Reply 90 of 328
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Look at all the money Apple threw at Justin Long and still only has 10%.

But unlike beige box shifters they take almost between 33% and 50% of the market revenue. Apple make loadsa muneee!!

The best thing about Teckstud is that he moans about Apple all of the time and puts up his snidey comments but at the end of the day he HAS an iPhone etc. Maybe he is a sicko sadomasochist?
  • Reply 91 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sweet! A German site just released a pic of the next manly phone Moto will be debuting at CES next month. My balls are dropping just looking at this phone.

I would think they'd be tightening.
  • Reply 92 of 328
    Quote:

I wonder who still thinks Apple and Verizon will be teaming up for the next iPhone. I?m sure there are some saucer eyed Verizon fans that expect a 64GB LTE iPhone to pop up next summer.

By Christmas this year would be better for me.
  • Reply 93 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Like I did.

Best post in the thread.
  • Reply 94 of 328
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    So it's "manly" to have to duct tape your battery to your Droid because the cover won't stay on?
  • Reply 95 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The best thing about Teckstud is that he moans about Apple all of the time and puts up his snidey comments but at the end of the day he HAS an iPhone etc. Maybe he is a sicko sadomasochist?

Best isn?t the adjective I?d use but it is ironic that all his posting reportedly come from his Mac, iPhone or iPod Touch, and will come from his AppleTV if they ever put a browser in it.
  • Reply 96 of 328
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If your product can't unseat the competition, just call them gay or something.

Smooth.

Agreed. Says more about the people Motorola hires to do their commercials than iPhone users...says more about Motorola itself. Motorola isn't my idea of a emulatable company these days anyway.

So, a woman with a black iPhone, then, would be a Lesbian by their inference?
  • Reply 97 of 328
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

The truly sad thing is Motorola practically invented the mobile phone, and should capitalize on their accomplishments. Back in the day being a Motorola engineer counted for something. But I suspect that some frat boys climbed up in management and changed the corporate culture to what we're seeing now, and they're right - it ain't pretty.

Well, maybe pretty sad.
  • Reply 98 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

LOL Totally agree.

I guess they're advertising to thier perceived "Idiocracy" constituents.

On a side note, they should be careful:

"Who are they calling gay?"

http://www.grapplearts.com/labels/iphone.htm
  • Reply 99 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

So it's "manly" to have to duct tape your battery to your Droid because the cover won't stay on?

Okay, that is actually the definition of manliness, especially when paired with a mullet haircut.
  • Reply 100 of 328
    Motorola actually has their phone chop a banana? That's symbolism for you. What dorks.