Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 101 of 328
    At the end of the day, the iPhone is within 2% of RIM and about to pass them, has destroyed 10 years' worth of WinMo "development", and has relegated the Pre to swirling-in-the-bowl status. All in two years.

Android has yet to prove itself. Droid has yet to prove itself. And if Google releases their own phone (as we're hearing), there goes Verizon's premiere device.

We've been through all the "Macs are fruity" and "Macs are for artsy types" business years ago. It didn't work. No effect. Won't work against the iPhone. Apple simply sold more Macs. Apple will simply sell more iPhones. Done. The public knows what Apple represents, it's not for nothing that Apple commands ungodly mindshare.
  • Reply 102 of 328
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that it wreaks of desperation, but I disagree with the overall effectiveness of the ad. The numbers should be in. Verizon and Moto should know what the average gender and age group that is buying their product. If it was being being bought by 50yo women I can assure this ad would never have been made.

I have to assume that they think the demographic they are alienating already aren?t Droid customers. This is what screams desperation on their part. Instead of trying to win these customers over by pointing the clear advantages they seem to now be ignoring them altogether to focus on a very select group of individuals with arguably immoral tactics. Note that I fully support this ads? marketing merit while condemning it?s message.

Also, the whole Apple equates to gay isn?t new. There are plenty of humourous images out there if you dare do a search. Safe Search is recommended.

When I posted earlier I didn't realize it was a Motorola ad and not Verizon.

Verizon has been running an excellent ad campaign.

I have no respect for Motorola. They're going down the tubes. Only a matter of time before they're bankrupt. I'm surprised they came out with anything as decent as the Droid. Must have been Google's involvement.

The HTC Droid Eris has more potential. Will be interesting to see what phones HTC comes out with.

I would not assume that a company as poorly run as Motorola would have any clue what demographic they've sold to nor would they have the ability to target an ad for that demographic. I bet they designed the phone as masculine and had this ad campaign planned before they even released the phone.
  • Reply 103 of 328
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Did anyone else find it odd that Motorola is willing to piss off the female of the species? Last I checked, they make up a majority of the population on the planet.

All for a phone that look and acts (or tries to) just like an iPhone. This type of commercial is understandable for a beer, or maybe a 4 Wheel drive truck, as their target audience would always be a certain type of male, but on a phone?

What moron thought this was a good idea?
  • Reply 104 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

PS: i guess Motorola and Microsoft share the same marketing people?

More like Motorola, Microsoft and Budweiser.
  • Reply 105 of 328
    How... Republican... of Motorola and Verizon. Instead of advertising why their device is better, they'd rather attack the device's users. I really want to make the switch to Droid now! \

On the same subject; though, I love the new Palm Pixi commercial. The song gets stuck in my head every time the commercial comes on. I'd never get a Palm device, but iTunes became $.99 richer after I googled the commercial. Haha.
  • Reply 106 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Okay, that is actually the definition of manliness, especially when paired with a mullet haircut.

All business in the front, but party in the back (with duct tape).
  • Reply 107 of 328
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Look at all the money Apple threw at Justin Long and still only has 10%.

Don't be foolish, Teck . You and I both know that Apple is about profit share rather than market share. And Steve has emphatically stated that his company only operates in a certain market. Now back to your comment. How much has Apple thrown at Justin Long? And what is Apple's profit share?

That's what I thought.
  • Reply 108 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

How... Republican... of Motorola and Verizon. Instead of advertising why their device is better, they'd rather attack the device's users. I really want to make the switch to Droid now! \

\\

In a way, Apple does this too with their Mac ads, but the "attack" couched in style and humour.
  • Reply 109 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Don't be foolish, Teck . You and I both know that Apple is about profit share rather than market share. And Steve has emphatically stated that his company only operates in a certain market. Now back to your comment. How much has Apple thrown at Justin Long? And what is Apple's profit share?

That's what I thought.

Well I'm sure if Apple had 40% share by now they wouldn't rather go back and have 10%.
  • Reply 110 of 328
    Quote:

Look at all the money Apple threw at Justin Long and still only has 10%.

Of the most profitable segment of the market. They own the Premium end.

This has been explained to you numerous times and now you're just trolling for the hell of it. Not cool.
  • Reply 111 of 328
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The thing about Teckstud is that he moans about Apple all of the time and puts up his snidey comments but at the end of the day he HAS an iPhone etc.

There's a word for people who post endlessly to forums with contrarian babble for the sheer sake of eliciting a response.
  • Reply 112 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

What moron thought this was a good idea?

Probably the same guy who doesn't mind sleeping on the couch for months at a time.
  • Reply 113 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Probably the same guy who doesn't mind sleeping on the couch for months at a time.

Ziinnnnnng!!!
  • Reply 114 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In a way, Apple does this too with their Mac ads, but the "attack" couched in style and humour.

Not true! What's wrong with wearing tweed jackets with elbow patches, bifocals, and having an unusually strong love for spreadsheets?
  • Reply 115 of 328
    Quote:

I disagree. Apple never slams a PC user. They always slam the PC. Their commercials are very specific about that.

The iPhone adds, even the newest where they even mention the competitors, are always targeted to the hardware, not the users who use it.
  • Reply 116 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

There's a word for people who post endlessly to forums with contrarian babble for the sheer sake of eliciting a response.

WOW- you're a name caller. I'm so impressed. At least I post regarding the thread- whether you agree or disagree. What do you contribute?
  • Reply 117 of 328
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Steve and Jonny must be LIVID! and FURIOUS!

That white iPhone was always a bit naff.

Excuse you! I like my white iPhone thanks very much. Everyone and their mother have black.

Regardless, lol at Motorola. Jealous of success?
  • Reply 118 of 328
    Quote:

Of the most profitable segment of the market. They own the Premium end.

This has been explained to you numerous times and now you're just trolling for the hell of it. Not cool.

Did you read above your post - my answer?

Here:

Quote:

Well I'm sure if Apple had 40% share by now they wouldn't rather go back and have 10%.

• Reply 119 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Excuse you! I like my white iPhone thanks very much. Everyone and their mother have black.

Is that you Annie Lennox?
  • Reply 120 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

I'll second that. I've owned 3 iPhones, all black. I wanted something different for my 3GS. I went with White. No one ever sees it under the covers, but I know it's there