Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Comments

• Reply 121 of 328
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

Quite possibly the stupidest ad I've seen in years.

uh, i could best you with the latest microsoft ads. they are absolutely horrible. they're a conceptual rip-off of the swiffer ads. it's really embarrassing. does that company have any kind of originality these days?
  • Reply 122 of 328
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have my iPhone plugged in all day at work, and.......?

And do you get a signal down at your mums basement!?
  • Reply 123 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I disagree. Apple never slams a PC user. They always slam the PC. Their commercials are very specific about that.

The iPhone adds, even the newest where they even mention the competitors, are always targeted to the hardware, not the users who use it.

Yes, you're right. It seems to me, however, that the Mac ads imply something about PC users. But I might be stretching it there, I'll grant you that.
  • Reply 124 of 328
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I disagree. Apple never slams a PC user. They always slam the PC. Their commercials are very specific about that.

The iPhone adds, even the newest where they even mention the competitors, are always targeted to the hardware, not the users who use it.

There are plenty of rules for regarding your competitors in marketing. But generally you don?t want to mention a competitor unless they are so out of favour with the public that you land some good blows or if they are so far ahead of you with the public that you try to get a brand-to-brand association going.

Apple did well to simply say ?PC? in the ads, despite Macs obviously being PCs which Long pointed out in the BootCamp ad. Apple did start mentioning and directly going after Windows once it was clear that MS had lost mindshare with Vista. Kick when their down is always a good move in marketing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Excuse you! I like my white iPhone thanks very much. Everyone and their mother have black.

Regardless, lol at Motorola. Jealous of success?

I bought White for the 3G but that was because it was only in white for the high-end version making it the more elite model by sight and ultimately giving it a better resale value (even though I ultimately gave it away when I got my 3GS). With the 3GS I went with black because White was available in both 3GS models. Either way, I don?t really care what colour it is since it?s a case, anyway.
  • Reply 125 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

Still, the Droid has a lot going for it. I'd say it's the first direct competitor to the iPhone. Android OS is set to take off. That's good for all of us as the two duke it out.

It occurs to me that the iPhone will remain dominant (assuming they don't just totally stop innovating...like Moto did a few years ago!) as long as the competition keeps trying to copy the iPhone. Remember when the Razr was cool? iPhone didn't dominate the market by emulating the Razr. It kicked butt by being something TOTALLY different.

No...the Android is trying to be an incrementally better iPhone, so has lost before it has even started. The true iPhone killer will be the next insanely great product that really doesn't look much like the iPhone.
  • Reply 126 of 328
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, you're right. It seems to me, however, that the Mac ads imply something about PC users. But I might be stretching it there, I'll grant you that.

I thought they were rather clever. Especially when they have the actual PC 'user' in the ads, and welcome them with open arms. The ads actually allow the 'PC' to make their case for them and then the user makes the only reasonable choice

If they had that kind of marketing genius all these years, I suspect things would look rather different than they do today.

I'm really shocked that Motorola would put out such a tasteless add. It basically says all women are vapid blondes without a thought in their head.

I can't imagine they actually tested that ad properly.
  • Reply 127 of 328
    What an odd thing to suggest, in fact rather childish and silly. I know a dozen people who own an iPhone and non of them are women.

Motorola - this is 2009 - grow up!!
  • Reply 128 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

It occurs to me that the iPhone will remain dominant (assuming they don't just totally stop innovating...like Moto did a few years ago!) as long as the competition keeps trying to copy the iPhone. Remember when the Razr was cool? iPhone didn't dominate the market by emulating the Razr. It kicked butt by being something TOTALLY different.

No...the Android is trying to be an incrementally better iPhone, so has lost before it has even started. The true iPhone killer will be the next insanely great product that really doesn't look much like the iPhone.

+1 Insightful...
  • Reply 129 of 328
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the ad is great. It’s attacking some trivial aspect and then creating a perception that the iPhone isn’t fast because it’s more attractive. They don’t say it isn’t fast but they imply it brilliantly.

The great part is that the 3GS is faster than the Droid. Even the 5mpx camera has shown to have worse images than the 3Mpx camera in the 3GS, though that may have been to the odd rolling camera bug that was found.

I couldn't agree more. Truth and facts have nothing to do with it. Marketing is all about perception. If true life facts help create a positive perception, so be it but it is not a requirement. Here it is all implication.

Quote:

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.

Which is very clever. As people have mentioned it is pretty juvenile but even if reviewers the world over disprove and argue against Motorola, they will still have achieved their goal in the short term - the holiday season.

Now is the time for someone to come out with an armour plated, stainless steel or camouflage colored ipod protective case with hard edges and flashing lights. Lets fight back! Lets show those M-Punks we are REAL MEN (even though I know most of you carry make-up in your man purses)
  • Reply 130 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Brilliant post. Can't help but agree with this.
  • Reply 131 of 328
    This is the kind of commercial for the clueless. Idiots will love it and will later come back to get an iPhone that they really need.

And no business will even consider this trash as a substitute or replacement for iPhone. It may even help bring more female buyers for Apple.

Stupid commercial from a dying company!!!!
  • Reply 132 of 328
    Quote:

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.

Agreed...the ad does seem to be in bad taste and a bit juvenile to me...not because I'm apple fan but just in general.
  • Reply 133 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I couldn't agree more. Truth and facts have nothing to do with it. Marketing is all about perception. If true life facts help create a positive perception, so be it but it is not a requirement. Here it is all implication.

Which is very clever. As people have mentioned it is pretty juvenile but even if reviewers the world over disprove and argue against Motorola, they will still have achieved their goal in the short term - the holiday season.

Now is the time for someone to come out with an armour plated, stainless steel or camouflage colored ipod protective case with hard edges and flashing lights. Lets fight back! Lets show those M-Punks we are REAL MEN (even though I know most of you carry make-up in your man purses)

Yes and No. There aren't a lot of 14-21 year olds with $200-400 bucks to throw out on a phone. Not a lot of disposable cash in that group. I wonder if they are targeting that group, or someone a bit older?
  • Reply 134 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There's no need to be ashamed about liking a particular phone or color.

I can't believe people here feel like they have to defend their choice of a white iPhone.

The only people who snark about the effeminate look/color are the closet cases. Ignore them.

And the silly thing about the ad is that they're targeting ostensibly straight (although more like insecure) men. But everyone knows it's the gays with the disposable income. So why are they targeting the straight guys with a top-of-the-line device?

Terrible marketing strategy.
  • Reply 135 of 328
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

WOW- you're a name caller. I'm so impressed.

I didn't call you a name. If you're inferring it from my post then if the shoe fits...

Quote:

At least I post regarding the thread- whether you agree or disagree.

Let's review:

Quote:

Ouch! Strike a nerve or strike a pose?

Well he kinda looks Britneyish, smiling while shaking Ms. Salahi's hand.

What closet?

Of course there are gay football players but are any out?

Who doesn't know Glambert?

I would think they'd be tightening.

Is that you Annie Lennox?

And that's just from this thread alone. Do I really have to go through all 6300+ of your posts for more counter-evidence?

Quote:

Would do you contribute?

A modicum of proof-reading before posting?

Do you have any explanation for why you are so vehemently anti-Apple here and yet you claim to use their products and spend a significant amount of your time posting to an Apple-oriented site?
  • Reply 136 of 328
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Droid users are macho men.

• Reply 137 of 328
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    WHACK!!!

The ad spent more time comparing itself to the iPhone then actually talking about the phone. I feel sad for anyone who actually thinks it's a robot HAHA!!! The worst phone commercial in a long time...
  • Reply 138 of 328
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

But everyone knows it's the gays with the disposable income.

Like OMG- how homophobic is that comment?
  • Reply 139 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Do I really have to go through all 6300+ of your posts for more counter-evidence?

Do you have any explanation for why you are so vehemently anti-Apple here and yet you claim to use their products and spend a significantamount of your time posting to an Apple-oriented site?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I'm really liking this thread.
  • Reply 140 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Hey, I happen to like the Village People