Can't update nvidia drivers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys,

Im running Windows 7 64bit version in bootcamp on the latest Macbook Pro, with the 9600M GT. However, I'm trying to update the video drivers to version 186.81 but I keep getting this error:

"The NVIDIA Setup Program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will not exit"

How can i get this to work?

I'm downloading this file from the nvidia website:

186.81_notebook_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You don't need these drivers. Apple provides drivers for Boot Camp. Use those and only those
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Hi guys,

Im running Windows 7 64bit version in bootcamp on the latest Macbook Pro, with the 9600M GT. However, I'm trying to update the video drivers to version 186.81 but I keep getting this error:

"The NVIDIA Setup Program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will not exit"

How can i get this to work?

I'm downloading this file from the nvidia website:

186.81_notebook_win7_winvista_64bit_international_ whql

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

try this

http://www.driverheaven.net/nvmodtool.php
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

You don't need these drivers. Apple provides drivers for Boot Camp. Use those and only those

I don't need them but I want them because they offer increased performance. Also you don;t have to use the drivers that Apple give us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

try this

http://www.driverheaven.net/nvmodtool.php

What does this mod thing do? And what do I do with it.

If anyone can help I would prefer to just install the latest drivers from nvidia.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hi,

i actually tried that driver heaven thing and it worked perfectly. drivers are working fine.

Its was easy.

1. download the latest drivers from nvidia

2. extract them i.e. open the installer like you would to install the drivers. Ok it when you get the error.

3. download the driverheaven thing (this just basically mods the drivers you just extracted, more detailed instructions on their website)

4. Run the driverheaven app

5. Hey presto! Run the installer where the nvidia drivers are extracted and they should install.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Oh how wrong you are. I wish you didn't need them, but you really do for a lot of games.

I'm trying to run battlfield 3, but origin (the mandatory game platform) will not let you start the game without the new drivers.

I'm running bootcamp on macbook pro and can't update geforce 9600M GT past version 188.xx. It requires the 285.38 driver, but the installer "cannot find compatible bla bla bla"

The modder from driverheaven got me past that, but halfway through installing the drivers it fails.

Anyone figure this out yet?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpvand1 View Post

I'm trying to run battlfield 3, but origin (the mandatory game platform) will not let you start the game without the new drivers.

I'm running bootcamp on macbook pro and can't update geforce 9600M GT past version 188.xx. It requires the 285.38 driver, but the installer "cannot find compatible bla bla bla"

You can download drivers from NVidia's website:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Just pick Geforce 9M series and the version of Windows you are using. Let us know how BF3 runs on the 9600M GT, I suspect it may not run very well. It looks a bit choppy on the 330M, which is a much faster GPU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8Wd6_Pcc
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can download drivers from NVidia's website:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Just pick Geforce 9M series and the version of Windows you are using. Let us know how BF3 runs on the 9600M GT, I suspect it may not run very well. It looks a bit choppy on the 330M, which is a much faster GPU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8Wd6_Pcc

Dude, if you read the whole question I explained that the driver upgrades won't install. I've tried 4 different versions, and the heaven modder etc. Nothing works.

If it was that simple I wouldn't have a problem, not a complete noob...I'm going to re-post the question so it doesn't get passed over now.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpvand1 View Post

Dude, if you read the whole question I explained that the driver upgrades won't install.

You didn't say which version of the driver you downloaded nor what version of Windows you are using nor did you describe what happens during the driver installation. You said 'it fails' but in what way, with an error or does the progress bar just disappear? Also don't double post, people can still see your original post.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anaya View Post

So.. what is the answer??

Remember that your Nvidia cards are Mac cards and not Windows cards. The two versions are not interchangeable. Drivers for the Windows version of the cards do not support the Mac version. It might be possible to flash the card firmware to behave like the Windows version, but then the card would no longer work with MacOS X. This is why you need Boot Camp to run Windows natively on your Mac. Boot Camp installs drivers that allow Mac cards to work natively with Windows.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Remember that your Nvidia cards are Mac cards and not Windows cards. The two versions are not interchangeable. Drivers for the Windows version of the cards do not support the Mac version.

In the past I've been able to download drivers from NVidia to fix in-game lockups and the standard Windows driver worked on a Mac system - I don't expect Apple would maintain Windows drivers for GPUs, they'll probably have some compatibility somewhere, possibly at the firmware level. Other people have had issues installing NVidia drivers but the NVidia forum would be the best place for details about how to fix it:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

Or he could just get Modern Warfare 3, which doesn't require a driver upgrade to play it.