Switched to Mac! Which programs from PC are compared to a Mac program?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Switching over to a Mac and im so use to PC programs. From my list below, can I get some help of which programs to use for Mac but are similar to the PC programs.

IMGBurn

InternetDownloadManager

DUMeter

WinRAR

Global Scape CuteFTP

Screamer Radio

MSN Messenger

UltraISO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    IMGBurn - Disk Utility or Toast

InternetDownloadManager - Speed Download

DUMeter - Activity Monitor or for tracking bandwidth usage, you can try Surplus Meter

WinRAR - unRarX or The Unarchiver

Global Scape CuteFTP - Transmit or Cyberduck

Screamer Radio - itunes has radio stations

MSN Messenger - you get it for Mac but also aMSN

UltraISO - Disk Utility or Toast again. Disk Utility mainly does Mac-only dmg files and data discs. There's also liquidCD

If you check out versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and search for the app features, you will find a lot more equivalent apps.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    What did you do with your PC that you needed all that crap? Did some Geek at Best Buy tell you to install all the download managers, bandwidth checker/optimizer garbage?

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that you're still THINKING like a PC. Install what you need and only what you need.

For Mac, Disk Utility can burn any iso file to cd/dvd. Toast will work for Bluray

I like Filezilla for FTP

Messenger for Mac over at Mactopia.com

You may think about embracing the cloud for media ie Pandora, Aol Radio, http://put.io/
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

What did you do with your PC that you needed all that crap? Did some Geek at Best Buy tell you to install all the download managers, bandwidth checker/optimizer garbage?

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that you're still THINKING like a PC. Install what you need and only what you need.

For Mac, Disk Utility can burn any iso file to cd/dvd. Toast will work for Bluray

I like Filezilla for FTP

Messenger for Mac over at Mactopia.com

You may think about embracing the cloud for media ie Pandora, Aol Radio, http://put.io/

If you need to send or receive webcam over Messenger, your only choice is aMSN. Fortunately, it's a fairly good implementation.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you need to send or receive webcam over Messenger, your only choice is aMSN. Fortunately, it's a fairly good implementation.

MS has already said that the next release of Messenger for Mac will support audio/video capabilities. I suspect it will be released late next year along with Office 2010
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

UltraISO - Disk Utility or Toast again. Disk Utility mainly does Mac-only dmg files and data discs. There's also liquidCD

ISO is a hardware format, not a content format. Disk Utility will burn ISO files to CD/DVD whatever the format of the content.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

How about FREE ooVoo?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

How about FREE ooVoo?

Um... because we're talking about video over Messenger.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Um... because we're talking about video over Messenger.

Um... the OP was looking for an OSX alternative to (video over) Messenger, tonton! And that's what ooVoo is. And it's FREE to boot! Which Messenger isn't.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Um... the OP was looking for an OSX alternative to (video over) Messenger, tonton! And that's what ooVoo is. And it's FREE to boot! Which Messenger isn't.

Hmm... I would read that totally differently. I would read that the OP wanted an alternative to the Windows version of Windows Live Messenger for OSX, which means he would want a program that he could use to chat with his friends, who are all on the MSN network. I was suggesting aMSN as a free alternative that has that functionality, including the ability to do video. And aMSN is free. And as far as I know, Messenger Mac is free as well, though it still doesn't support video.

Unless you know something I dont...

It just seemed like suggesting a totally different protocol as an "alternative" is akin to suggesting that an FTP server is an alternative to a web server.