Progress made on Apple's potential second Cupertino campus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’d wager that it’s the intra/internet that made this term popular.

Poppycock - you got someone trolling a stupid comment and hijacking the thread. The term was used long before computers and networks were a gleam in any engineers eye.

To me it's more interesting to see that Apple's plans might be back on track again. I guess economic reality is sinking in for the Cupertino town council. It's about time something started re-aligning impractical attitudes of california politicians. Their may be hope for the state yet. Hope the citizens of CA are enjoying their forced loan to the state. Unbelievable.

If Apple really wanted to expand, I would look elsewhere. California seems hell-bent on slipping into the economic abyss (with a few other states not far behind).
  • Reply 22 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The term was used long before computers and networks were a gleam in any engineers eye.

I did say ?made popular?, not first time used, but I got into computer network design pretty young so my introduction is likely different than most. I no longer pay for access to the OED online, otherwise I could have looked up some specific dates of varying usage.
    Quote:

1774, from L. campus "a field," probably prop. "an expanse surrounded" (by woods, higher ground, etc.), from PIE *kampos "a corner, cove," from base *kamp- "to bend" (cf. Lith. kampus "corner," Pol. kepa "island in a river"). First used in college sense at Princeton.

Quote:

If Apple really wanted to expand, I would look elsewhere. California seems hell-bent on slipping into the economic abyss (with a few other states not far behind).

They have agreed to spend at least $1B in North Carolina over 10 years at a new facility. That is something.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    OED agrees with 1774:

Quote:

1774 in J. F. Hageman Hist. Princeton (1879) I. 102 Having made a fire in the Campus, we there burnt near a dozen pounds [of tea]. 1826 R. MILLS Statistics S. Carolina 701 The whole disposed so as to form a hollow square containing about ten acres which is called the Campus. 1833 J. FINCH Trav. U.S. & Canada 282 In front of the College is a fine campus ornamented with trees. 1879 H. J. VANDYKE Jr. in Princeton Bk. 382 The central point of the Campus, the hub of the college world, is undoubtedly the big cannon. 1904 H. N. SNYDER in Sewanee Rev. Jan. 87, I am almost willing to shut my eyes to the excesses of the noisy strenuosity of the athletic mood if it bring into the campus life a warm, vital sense of college unity. 1939 Nature 26 Aug. 392/1 Frome Avenue, on the opposite side of which is the [Adelaide] University campus. 1958 Times 10 Mar. 12/7 Not only in the cloistered courts of Cambridge but also on college campuses in America. 1958 Sunday Times 27 Apr. 20/7 The first walls are rising of Sir Hugh Casson's new arts faculty campus. 1959 Listener 19 Feb. 326/2 As in this country, some of the best of this kind of history is written off campus. 1968 Brit. Univ. Ann. 30 To my eye, the Birmingham campus has now developed into one of the most attractive in the country.

• Reply 24 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

OED agrees with 1774:

We have the date of when campus was first used in the sense of "grounds or fields used by a university? but what about a date and topic of the term?s expansion to include ?hospitals or other institutions??
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We have the date of when campus was first used in the sense of "grounds or fields used by a university? but what about a date and topic of the term?s expansion to include ?hospitals or other institutions??

I suspect this word came into usage to describe a corporate headquarters with rise of the technology industry, to denote the similarity of the research and development going on in both.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    What I don't get is the issue over "rezoning a prime piece of residential land". I've looked at the property on Google Maps and aside from one area west of the site which is already residential, the site (assuming it's the area directly south of the HP campus) is already filled with office buildings and seemingly, no unbuilt open space.

So unless the local Board was thinking that someone was eventually going to tear down the industrial or office buildings and build housing, how could it possibly be a "prime piece of residential land"?

Also, isn't 7 acres kind of small for a new campus? I thought the site was supposed to be around 50 acres.

But at least for the period that Apple will be knocking the current buildings down and putting up new ones, it will create some construction jobs. And hopefully, it will also create some new permanent jobs at Apple, not just move people from other sites.

Has Apple started construction in North Carolina yet?