You...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...not "u."

Am I alone in this? It makes my teeth itch whenever I see people replacing you with u or are with r. Urrrgh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    i say "u" all the time, and "yer" "fer" "ther" etc

got a problem w/ that???

too bad

its stupid to get worked up over it...its not like i really write like that...just too lazy to mess w/ that sh*t online.

in the real world, im perfectly correct grammatically, so makes no difference (although i admit to almost putting a couple "u"s in a paper or 2 )

its just simple shorthand dude--get used to it
  • Reply 2 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Things that bother me:

Irregardless - It's not a word! Stop using it!

I and Joe/Me and Joe - Don't you remember from 4th grade English you're supposed to mention yourself last? Maybe it was 3rd grade.

"I'm so stressed out!" - So is everybody else. Should WE feel sorry for YOU?

"I'm so tired." - Here's a new concept: Go to bed earlier, or take naps. If you have time to yak on the phone or play video games (or the AI Message Boards), you have time for those too.

Ah, I feel better now.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    lets see...what pisses me off??

stupid people suck

they should all die--or at least not allowed to breed

they are sending this society down the tubes--too many weak people are allowed to continue in their miserable existance, which leads the dilution of the already pathetic genepool...

oh, and i hate cows too
  • Reply 4 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Pet peeves:

your v. you're - "your" is possesive, "you're" is a conjunction of "you" and "are"

their v. there - "There dog is brown." idiots

ur v. your - "ur" doesn't even ****ing SOUND like "your"

To a lesser extent the use of "He and I" and He and Me" type stuff. Rule of thumb: Take off the "he and" to make sure it sounds right.

"They invited her and me to the party." - correct

"They invited her and I to the party." - incorrect

It's not just nit-picking it's a matter of clarity. I can speak in shorthand as well that doesn't make it acceptable.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I hate all people that aren't as good as me.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I hate all people that aren't as good as me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

damn straight

(it's tough not being stupid...)
  • Reply 7 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    My list runs too long...

• Reply 8 of 36
    Anybody who doesn't like you=u and are=r and for=4 and so on, probably doesn't like TAFKAP.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Your probably write.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    'scates, i new u wuz gonna say sumpin like dat
  • Reply 11 of 36
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    A lot of times I use u and stuff like that... what's so bad about it?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>A lot of times I use u and stuff like that... what's so bad about it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

if u use "u," then u are a lazy bastard and deserve to die a long and painful death
  • Reply 13 of 36
    I don't like to pronounce my words in public. Usually I just kind of grunt and point, that's ok because people get my point.

I also shit on grass in public. I don't really see what difference it makes, it's not hurting anyone.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    If you want your arguments and points to be taken seriously and if you want people to think that maybe you aren't a middle school girl then you should seriously consider spelling words out and possibly even spelling them correctly.

It's 'ur' choice, of course.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>If you want your arguments and points to be taken seriously and if you want people to think that maybe you aren't a middle school girl then you should seriously consider spelling words out and possibly even spelling them correctly.

It's 'ur' choice, of course.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen! You have an education, so use it!

In defense of abbreviations on forums and the like, however, I see a purpose for things like:

IMHO, BTW, & definitely WYSIWYG. Do you all agree that THOSE are okay?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Acronyms are fine. Using single characters in place of words bothers the hell out of me.

I hate:

u (you)

ur (you're)

4 (for)

More than two exclamation marks (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) except when it's something so freakin' awesome you're in shock.

fsck (if you can't get around the filter, you don't deserve to swear )

whut

tho

Lots and lots more that I know exist but can't remember.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>Acronyms are fine. Using single characters in place of words bothers the hell out of me.

I hate:

u (you)

ur (you're)

4 (for)

More than two exclamation marks (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) except when it's something so freakin' awesome you're in shock.

fsck (if you can't get around the filter, you don't deserve to swear )

whut

tho

Lots and lots more that I know exist but can't remember.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i only use one on yer list--gonna have to try out some of the others...

and educations are way overrated--its what u know that matters--and in my case, its science--so what if i abbreviate?? have u ever seen doctors writing?? they abbreviate everywhere they can, cause they dont have time to mess w/ petty sh*t like writing...

and noone questions their education or knowledge.

big deal if some people choose to shorten what they type--its stupid to get pissy over such a trivial issue...

but on the other hand, its good that people in this world are back to normal...back to bitching and complaining about stupid and useless sh*t instead of real issues and complaints...

God forbid that complaints have relevance to reality...or at least something significant to real society outside of our cushioned and pampered little lives...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

if u use "u," then u are a lazy bastard and deserve to die a long and painful death</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    [quote]<strong>have u ever seen doctors writing?? they abbreviate everywhere they can, cause they dont have time to mess w/ petty sh*t like writing...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't have time, gomer? Right.

Doctors write that way on charts in a high pressure environment. I don't see many medical journals that say. "Next your going to get ur petri dish then u put teh culture in..."
  • Reply 20 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

You don't have time, gomer? Right.

Doctors write that way on charts in a high pressure environment. I don't see many medical journals that say. "Next your going to get ur petri dish then u put teh culture in..."</strong><hr></blockquote>

exactly, but they still use abbreviations, and u dont question them. so whats the big deal? maybe what they have to write down has a bit more substance to it, but they still write shorthand--they get their point accross, and thats the point. simple, huh? as long as u get yer point accross, who the f*ck cares how they did it?? when im communicating in real life, when it matters, i get my point accross just fine...

but online...

kinda funny how stupid this whole conversation really is.......