Review scam leads to removal of over 1000 apps from App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    scwscw Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

This is great! If I were Apple I, would ban them forever. Make an example of them.

Good find SCW.

Anytime =)

Cheers Patrick Timney (aka) SCW

http://twitter.com/thescw

http://www.flickr.com/people/thescw
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SCW View Post

As the person who discovered & this fraud... I don't think if I hadn't brought it to Apple's attention that it wouldn't have been taken care of so soon... Possibly far too late for those who spent hard earned money on one of the apps to then be left with a hole in their pockets.

Yes Molinker had a few TOP apps... on the day they were removed from the AppStore one of their apps was on the front page of the AppStore in an Apples Favorites section "ColorMagic" app. As well they had two apps in the "Top Paid App" section for Photography "ColorMagic & OOF Out of Focus" both were is the top 20.

Cheers Patrick Timney (aka) SCW

I dont think that you where the only one who reacts on this, actually I am sure :-). But it was good that it came to the right place directly.

Also I think he is not the only one who do this kind of acting. But what about TV commercials about shampoo's or SlimLine products, TellSell whatever, their self created user comments are also fraud. They should stop with this also.

He, Molinker, did do a hard job, so many app's. A few yes they where nice. But his greed did shoot him in the head. Not remembering about what, but I do remember that he was in the news before, but I forgot why.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Good send all such developers to Droid.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    It means Internet lemmings have just figured out how to bring their endless on-line wars to AppStore. YouTube II.

It's obvious, you have to pay attention first to what is missed in app and to whether you can live without those features, while looking through customer reviews... "Great! Excellent! A must! etc." posts should always be skipped. Are you buying football tickets to see cheerleaders anyway?
  • Reply 25 of 52
    None of my 104 apps were from this developer. Does anyone reading this have any of their apps?
  • Reply 26 of 52
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

The 99,000 app store... I'm sure that the app store has 1000 apps in the review process agonizing over the approval process as I type. \

Exactly. What a waste of everyone's time.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    How can a developer have 1000 apps in 18 months? Do they have 100 developers working on creating apps, each doing a new app every 6 weeks? I fail to see how the quality can be that good.

Unless they're selling books or something - repackaging a single eBook Reader engine with different books.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"Actually we do not know what's wrong so far."

There is a word maybe you don't know: FRAUD.

1. Wrongful or criminal depiction intended to result in financial gain.

2. A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.

It's not just a few harmless lies. Due to money being involved, it becomes more serious, with possibility of fines and jail time.

YOU REALLY can't make this stuff up . They copied and posted the same review 1000 x / duh .

Amazing how quick these jerks will disappear for ever in the electronic jungle wasteland of lost dreams /

I mean to say that in a few days we'll think did they ever exist ?? deleted forever from the app store

sleepy apple awakens and wields a mighty sword

swish

swish

off with there heads !!>>or apps >

next stop for these milli vanilli dudes is too slime on over to the palm app store

peace 9
  • Reply 29 of 52
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Unless they're selling books or something - repackaging a single eBook Reader engine with different books.

Exactly. They were baking travel guides "Welcome to Madrid", "Welcome to Comoros", "Welcome to Gambia", etc.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SCW View Post

As the person who discovered & this fraud... I don't think if I hadn't brought it to Apple's attention that it wouldn't have been taken care of so soon... Possibly far too late for those who spent hard earned money on one of the apps to then be left with a hole in their pockets.

Yes Molinker had a few TOP apps... on the day they were removed from the AppStore one of their apps was on the front page of the AppStore in an Apples Favorites section "ColorMagic" app. As well they had two apps in the "Top Paid App" section for Photography "ColorMagic & OOF Out of Focus" both were is the top 20.

>>> >>>>> Patrick Txxxxy <<<<<<<(aka) SCW

hey hey

your a real hero dude !

I am clapping my hands right now

good show !!!

Patrick Tixxxxy ?? try not to post real names online \

ot so safe

maybe delete this huh ??

again wow

made my day

rock on

peace

ps we now expect you to go out and find more bad guys //maybe <<< Phil Schiller >> could give you a free 27" fully stocked 8 core i mac as a  thank you gift ..

I know Phil reads this site . << so what say you Phil ?? A small reward for SCW ??
  • Reply 31 of 52
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I for one, would love to know how MONEY they made before they got found out?

It would seem like he's not a happy camper right about now. He just went from making some good EASY money, to none in a very short period of time.

Skip
  • Reply 32 of 52
    This sounds like a fairly minor "crime" to me. This sort of thing happens all the time on Amazon, eBay and thousands of other message boards and discussion forums. With 100,000+ apps on the store it's getting harder and harder for developers to get their particular app noticed.

If you read some of the blog posts by developers marketing and getting apps reviewed by major publications and websites is getting more important in generating user interest. The days of slapping together an app over a weekend and making $100,000 in a month are long gone.

So these guys cheated and posted a bunch of very obvious fake reviews. It's a matter of cutting corners on the marketing side, nothing was wrong with the apps themselves. They deserve to get their wrist slapped and made an example of, not banned for life.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    I DO hope Apple will reward the active internet user who discovered all of this. Perhaps he could use a new 27" iMac?
  • Reply 34 of 52
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

I would like to highly suggest to take a deep look into not only the 'reviewers' but I will almost bet that all of these users redeemed 'Promo Codes' for these apps in order to only access the US app store & publish these endless slew of fake postings. All to increase the developers ratings, status, sales & ultimately have a pay-off when potential customers see such high ratings & then just buy the apps.

Well it got the job done, but that's terrible sentence construction.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Is there some sort of policy in the developer agreement that bans developers from reviewing their own apps?

How is this different from the countless developers that offer promo codes to random people in exchange for reviews?

How did Phil Schiller become VP of anything with the writing skills demonstrated above?

Do any of you honestly believe that Apple was unaware of this developer? When one developer consists of 1% of your entire app store, and has a catalog larger than any other single developer, its impossible to miss.

Trust me, Apple is just as disappointed as the developer is, that these 1000 apps had to go. Apple benefits from Apps on sale, not apps that are removed.

Apple also doesn't even slightly care how the 5 star reviews get there, as long as they lead to more sales. When some whiny P.I.T.A. like this so-called "SCW" starts screaming no fair no fair, then Apple has to put on the face as if they care, and take action.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is there some sort of policy in the developer agreement that bans developers from reviewing their own apps?

How is this different from the countless developers that offer promo codes to random people in exchange for reviews?

How did Phil Schiller become VP of anything with the writing skills demonstrated above?

Do any of you honestly believe that Apple was unaware of this developer? When one developer consists of 1% of your entire app store, and has a catalog larger than any other single developer, its impossible to miss.

Trust me, Apple is just as disappointed as the developer is, that these 1000 apps had to go. Apple benefits from Apps on sale, not apps that are removed.

Apple also doesn't even slightly care how the 5 star reviews get there, as long as they lead to more sales. When some whiny P.I.T.A. like this so-called "SCW" starts screaming no fair no fair, then Apple has to put on the face as if they care, and take action.

Steve Ballmer, is that you? Whoever you are, do you honestly think that Apple doesn't care about the QUALITY of apps on the store? Apple is NOT Microsoft!

The fact is, that crap apps receiving better than their share of publicity or reviews reduces the overall quality of the app store itself, which neither Apple, their shareholders or their users want.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Steve Ballmer, is that you? Whoever you are, do you honestly think that Apple doesn't care about the QUALITY of apps on the store? Apple is NOT Microsoft!

The fact is, that crap apps receiving better than their share of publicity or reviews reduces the overall quality of the app store itself, which neither Apple, their shareholders or their users want.

Apple wants money. Shareholders want Apple to have money. Users want value for their money.

Your point can easily be argued away. There are plenty of crap apps for the Mac, that do nothing to hurt the popularity of the Mac or the quality software available for the Mac.

However, Mac Apps are not exclusively distributed through one portal with absolutely no organization, or visual way to differentiate quality apps from total garbage.

AKA. The App Store Design is Abysmal. It is the reason for crap apps receiving better than their share. They AUTOMATICALLY receive better than their share, because they're put on the same shelf with the same packaging as a $20 weather app that gives live radar over 3G.

You sound like the type of person who blames middle class families for trying to buy a home while predatory lenders dangle life in front of you.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Apple wants money. Shareholders want Apple to have money. Users want value for their money.

And the way Apple gets that money is by consistently providing a superior user experience. They do not benefit from crap apps, so your allegation that Apple doesn't care about app quality is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post

It's nearly impossible to shill on ebay since they do not reveal the maximum bid to the seller. The only way would be for the shiller to withdraw the bid that goes over the maximum. I would encourage everyone to report that behavior even if it wasn't their high bid getting revealed.

If bidders are getting into bidding wars and driving the price past that of new items, or not comparing prices on amazon (or even straight from the manufacturer is cheaper sometimes), that's not sellers' (or ebay's) fault.

Bzzzt. Sorry, thanks for playing. Since Ebay now hides the names of bidders from other bidders, it's even harder to easily identify shill bidding accounts and activity. For lots of helpful examples, see the following website.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And the way Apple gets that money is by consistently providing a superior user experience. They do not benefit from crap apps, so your allegation that Apple doesn't care about app quality is just plain wrong.

Thank you. I understood that. You understood that. But "Steve" was thinking short-term profit.