Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The first external builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3, the next incremental update to Apple's Snow Leopard operating system, should arrive this week, AppleInsider has been told.

People familiar with the matter say the forthcoming builds are likely to be released to some developers in the next 48 hours, and carry the expected prefix of 10Dxx. It is not yet known what issues Apple hopes to address with the latest update.

A month ago, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.2, which corrected a guest account bug that could potentially delete a user's account data, triggered by logging in and out of a guest account on a Snow Leopard machine. The update also included native support for the Mac maker's new multi-touch Magic Mouse.

That update was in beta for just over a month, before its release to the public on Nov. 9. A timeframe for the potential Mac OS X 10.6.3 release is not yet known.

Updates for Snow Leopard thus far have come quickly. The new operating system, released at the end of August, saw the 10.6.1 update arrive less than two weeks later. The next build took about two months before it was released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    Whoa, I first read and interpreted this as "10.7.3". I must be trippin'

Good progress is good though!
  • Reply 2 of 97
    What feline is Apple using for 10.7? Anyone have any ideas? Is there any talk of the new features in 10.7 yet??

KRR
  • Reply 3 of 97
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Any word on a magic mouse driver for Windows 7/Boot Camp? Irritating that I have to switch mice when working in Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Damn, that was quick.
  • Reply 5 of 97
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    $29?
  • Reply 6 of 97
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

What feline is Apple using for 10.7? Anyone have any ideas? Is there any talk of the new features in 10.7 yet??

KRR

I am hoping 10.7 will bring true 64bit, revamped and more cleaned API, more slimming ( we can get rid of ALL 10.4 dependency now. )
  • Reply 7 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first external builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3

Should this read OS X.6.3 and not "oh ess ten ten dot six dot three" \
  • Reply 8 of 97
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

What feline is Apple using for 10.7?

For the new eight core MacPro's - "Octopussy" naturally.
  • Reply 9 of 97
    I vote for Cheshire for the next 'cat' name.

In other news... MS in a shocking move will now begin to mimimc the Apple use of cat code name for their next iterations of the Windows OS. They have copyrighted "Windows 8 (ate) Garfield" as they next version of windows promises to be fat, bloated, and just a bit slow and lazy...
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Should this read OS X.6.3 and not "oh ess ten ten dot six dot three" \

Um no. The way that it is notated (OS X 10.6.3) is how it is conventionally done. See the Apple website for proof.
  • Reply 11 of 97
    Quote:

KRR

No one knows yet, though there are many threads speculating. Some obvious choices being:

- Lion

- Lynx

- Ocelot

- Bobcat

And my personal favorites:

- Sabertooth

- Pussy

- Garfield
  • Reply 12 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I am hoping 10.7 will bring true 64bit, revamped and more cleaned API, more slimming ( we can get rid of ALL 10.4 dependency now. )

10.6 Has true 64-bit.
  • Reply 13 of 97
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    How about Mac OS 10.7 "Fatlazy"?
  • Reply 14 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

10.6 Has true 64-bit.

Yes and no. The default 10.6 kernel still boots into 32 bit mode, but you can easily bypass that temporarily or permanently to get the 64 bit kernel.
  • Reply 15 of 97
    Maybe they'll fix Exposé and screenshots and Quicktime and Dashboard and...
  • Reply 16 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

I'm not aware of any problems with screenshots or Dashboard, but Quicktime X and the new Expose are inexcusable.

And I'm STILL waiting for them to fix the damn calculator. Seriously, it's a CALCULATOR. It's been in Mac OS X since its earliest days and they couldn't even get that right in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Yes and no. The default 10.6 kernel still boots into 32 bit mode, but you can easily bypass that temporarily or permanently to get the 64 bit kernel.

It still has it, though. Apple was quite clever to allow for both 32-bit and 64-bit apps to run on both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. Really, having a 64-bit kernel as default right now is not the best option for most users. I forced my kernel to 64-bit but understand and agree with why Apple still defaults to a 32-bit kernel for consumers. You still get 64-bit native apps so the point is pretty much moot since the number one reason for 64-bit has been met.

Moving on? I fully expect 64-bit will have a 64-bit kernel for 10.7 with no support for any CoreDuos. I don?t expect a 32-bit kernel but I do expect 32-bit app support.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

No one knows yet, though there are many threads speculating. Some obvious choices being:

- Lion

- Lynx

- Ocelot

- Bobcat

And my personal favorites:

- Sabertooth

- Pussy

- Garfield

Maybe if 10.7 includes tabbed windows in the Finder they could call it Tabby.
  • Reply 19 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

How about Mac OS 10.7 "Fatlazy"?

Or Sabertooth because it?s getting long in the tooth. *zinger*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

What are wrong with them? I especially love the new Exposé.

If your issue is with hide not trumping minimization of apps, I hear you but I hardly call that broke, especially when you consider hwo much better it is since 10.5.

I miss some features that QT7 has over QTX but I wouldn?t call it broke and I still QT7 if needed.

Dashboard isn?t broke, but it does seem to be abandoned. There was no variance in the apps I use. I expected more versatile Stocks app mirroring Stocks on the iPhone, which looks to be mirrored after it.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It still has it, though. Apple was quite clever to allow for both 32-bit and 64-bit apps to run on both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. Really, having a 64-bit kernel as default right now is not the best option for most users. I forced my kernel to 64-bit but understand and agree with why Apple still defaults to a 32-bit kernel for consumers. You still get 64-bit native apps so the point is pretty much moot since the number one reason for 64-bit has been met.

Moving on… I fully expect 64-bit will have a 64-bit kernel for 10.7 with no support for any CoreDuos. I don’t expect a 32-bit kernel but I do expect 32-bit app support.

I'm curious, why do you think they'll ditch Core2 support?