Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 278
    Without any real side-by-side comparisons, TIME watched all those hyped commercials and came to their ridiculous conclusion. What a joke.

Also, Verizon's network is slow....much slower than AT&T's...and without concurrent voice/data it is also restricted. A few more DROID users will bring that network to its knees.
  • Reply 22 of 278
    Clearly they didn't do anything that required typing on the Droid, because the keyboard irrefutably sucks. They also don't seem to value Wifi/WLAN access on a handset... something I will never be without again if I can help it.

As far as faster goes, I am fairly certain that the processors in the 3GS and Droid are the same, so maybe Google is doing something special with Android's efficiency or maybe the testing wasn't very precise.

As far as being able to simultaneously use voice and data not being useful... You're just wrong. I do it all the time when I need to pull up info while on a call. I was doing it well before the ads started. Put the call on speaker and say, "Hold on, let me look."

Sorry TIME, you fail.
  • Reply 23 of 278
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You are right you cant compare the two the Droid does everything alot faster.

What, exactly? The Droid browser is SLOW, and all they've done is increase the scrolling momentum. Which is nice, once the Droid opens the page you want after an eternity. 12s for the iPhone 3GS and 20 seconds for the Droid on average. Big difference.
  • Reply 24 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Magazine has named the Motorola Droid the No. 1 gadget of 2009, besting the iPhone 3GS and calling the handset the first to truly challenge Apple's groundbreaking smartphone.

'time' will tell. And will sales.

I do try to be open minded. Although my family will disagree.

But I would like to raise this question.

Are the likes of Time, starting to realize the impact on their publications realizing that Apple's yet to arrive tablet just may be the nail to really negate the usefulness and value of their 'paper' based magazines?

As such, wouldn't it be prudent to promote products that reading their articles on them will be difficultly retarded?

But who knows? Again, only 'time' will tell.
  • Reply 25 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What's new and exciting about the Droid? The fact that it's a recast iPhone in a horrible outer shell, sporting a lousy OS with a badly implemented app store?

It's new, and it's a novelty, and it's the best iPhone knockoff yet that did indeed make waves in the market. Which we've seen before. Sure, I get it.

Have you played with one? I'm a mobile app developer and I make versions of my app for iPhone, Android, WebOS, and Blackberry and I play with all of the phones.

The Droid feels great in the hand. Its "horrible" outer shell feels far more durable and "industrial" than the iPhone, its harder edges really reinforce that solid feeling. The phone is remarkably thin for one with a physical keyboard, which is a very nice addition. It's the first phone with Android 2.0 support, which includes Google's turn-by-turn GPS out of the box and other goodies. It's got a completely wide-open app market without Apple's inconsistent and arbitrary and lengthy app review process.

There's a lot to love about the Droid, and certainly a lot of "new" things that could invigorate the market. Apple missed the boat by not even tweaking the appearance of the iPhone 3GS this year, so as a result it feels somewhat stale in the eyes of many even though it's better than ever. While the iPhone 3GS is an incremental improvement over the iPhone 3G, Motorola Droid is an all-new phone that's actually the best non-iPhone out there. It intentionally takes design and aesthetics away from the direction Apple is taking. While for many here, you'll call it heresy but there's a lot of reasonable people in this world that would think otherwise...

I'm sure most of you here won't "buy" this. And that's fine, I won't waste my breath on it anymore. Just know there are other phones out there than the iPhone, and some of them feel very fresh in contrast to the iPhone's slight tweak in 2009. The ranking makes perfect sense, even if it makes some people cry. It is NOT saying the Droid is "better" than the iPhone. The people who think that clearly don't understand such lists, which focus on game changers or refreshing ideas or innovation. Stop pretending like it's some CNET review piece or something.
  • Reply 26 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What, exactly? The Droid browser is SLOW, and all they've done is increase the scrolling momentum. Which is nice, once the Droid opens the page you want after an eternity.

You talking about the Droid is about the same as you talking about Windows 7. You haven't touched either and your pulling information out of your ass.
  • Reply 27 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Magazine has named the Motorola Droid the No. 1 gadget of 2009, besting the iPhone 3GS and calling the handset the first to truly challenge Apple's groundbreaking smartphone.

An outstanding special olympics swimmer named athelete of the year besting michael phelps, is the first tru challenge to the human dolphin.
  • Reply 28 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Guess again about why I picked 1943....

Okay. Thats how long you have had your head stuck up your ass?
  • Reply 29 of 278
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    No surprise here. Time Magazine is a propaganda rag that prints what they're paid to print.

It has never been unusual for them to print outright lies and smut, just to sell a few more copies.

Calling the Droid a bigger success than the iPhone 3GS, makes about as much sense as painting Obama as a religious savior on the cover.

If it felt like it, I could drudge up a dozen Time articles from the last ten years that SHOULD land the authors/publisher in jail, due to the lies contained and the (wrong) influence they've had on the public.
  • Reply 30 of 278
    Glad to see that someone else isn't buying into the whole iPhone thing year after year. It's a great product and I love mine, but the Droid is the first implementation of Android done right. Is it a perfect phone? Not even close. Is the iPhone the perfect phone? Nope. They have some things to iron out. We have a couple here in the office and I like them, but Verizon's prices are crazy. $2.99 for visual voicemail?
  • Reply 31 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No surprise here. Time Magazine is a propaganda rag that prints what they're paid to print.

It has never been unusual for them to print outright lies and smut, just to sell a few more copies.

Calling the Droid a bigger success than the iPhone 3GS, makes about as much sense as painting Obama as a religious savior on the cover.

If it felt like it, I could drudge up a dozen Time articles from the last ten years that SHOULD land the authors/publisher in jail, due to the lies contained and the (wrong) influence they've had on the public.

Again, you guys should read the actual article. They didn't say the Droid was better or a bigger success.

As for propaganda rag, that's precisely what this site is. Not Time. Suggest you strongly, strongly analyze what is going on here.

For instance, the article here focuses on the 100,000 figure from the initial weekend sales (which is the low end estimate). The Droid actually sold 700,000-800,000 in November, which is a very, very high number for a new phone.
  • Reply 32 of 278
    This is the first iteration of the Droid. It will get better and will have more models available to serve different tastes in the market. Can't wait to see the next models of the iPhone from Apple to keep their lead. If they stay with the one model for everyone, Droid will start eating into their market share. But i'm hoping that won't happen.
  • Reply 33 of 278
    Quote:

They are talking about the Droid hardware not the Verizon or ATT network. Most users could care less about simultaneous voice and data, its just become a pathetic talking point for ATT users. Verizons network blows away ATT.

Me... I care about voice an data at the same time. I believe ATT just won some speed trials too. I guess next you'll suggest most users don't care about speed?
  • Reply 34 of 278
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

You talking about the Droid is about the same as you talking about Windows 7. You haven't touched either and your pulling information out of your ass.

No, I'm pulling it off the web. Engadget did the test.

http://dailymobile.se/2009/10/29/mot...er-speed-test/

http://homebiss.blogspot.com/2009/11...phone-3gs.html

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/10/br...-3gs-vs-droid/

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...ser-speed-test

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/ipho...eed-test-video

That's one sad looking OS on the Droid, that's for sure.

But I'm sure your own test might show differently. Can we see it?
  • Reply 35 of 278
    Quote:

They are talking about the Droid hardware not the Verizon or ATT network. Most users could care less about simultaneous voice and data, its just become a pathetic talking point for ATT users. Verizons network blows away ATT.

It's not a pathetic talking point. Apple's commercial on the subject pretty much mirrors what I do in real life every day. I work for a very large software company and I depend on my iPhone every day for me to reach out to my customers and people in my company. iPhones in my company are fully supported for email and at the end of the month, will be fully supported for calendaring via CALDAV. I spend a lot of time on the phone as I travel and I'm always pulling up emails that someone I'm talking to asks me about, or attachments they want me to read (Word, PPT and Excel). If I had to hang up the phone every time I needed to do a data operation, I'd be pissing off a lot of people I talk to....either that or get a second phone.

The only time AT&T network is a real problem with this concerns the Edge network. If you're roaming on 3G and you enter an Edge zone, when you come back to 3G, most likely you can't reenter the ability to do data at all. In this case, the only way to fix this is to hang up and let the phone reconnect with the data network, then redial. I've done this in cases where I truly needed both and it's a pain.

Lastly, I think everyone agrees that Verizon's 3G network is far broader than AT&Ts, but AT&Ts is faster in limited markets. But I'd have to wonder if we'd all be talking about Verizon badly if its data network was burdened by 20 million iPhones. Verizon's overall data load has to be far smaller than AT&T's despite them having 8-9 million more customers. I don't like defending AT&T and their network problems...it's certainly real. But I doubt Verizon users would be gleefully happy if the same number of iPhone customers were on their network.
  • Reply 36 of 278
    Time saw some new devices to hype - all of which are advertisers or potential advertisers. So they hyped them. Droid and B&N will now breathlessly include in their ads the Times magazine mention, keeping Time in the public eye. And that's about the size of it.

None of this will mean anything to iPhone sales over the long haul.
  • Reply 37 of 278
    Quote:

The article quotes Time magazine as calling Verizon's 3G network "best of breed", making my comment relevant to the discussion.
  • Reply 38 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielDecker View Post

Me... I care about voice an data at the same time. I believe ATT just won some speed trials too. I guess next you'll suggest most users don't care about speed?

Speed trials...lol. You have been watching far too many tv ads. Its already been proven a long time ago Verizon has the fastest network and the larges 3G coverage. ATT also has the worst customer ratings.
  • Reply 39 of 278
    i cannot wait for an article published in time about windows being the operating system of the century...

i'm sure mossberg will write it
  • Reply 40 of 278
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

The iPhone has been out for 3 years. The Droid, what, a couple of months...if that? It has wow factor over the iPhone. That is it. People will learn to hate it after about 6 months. I went to Verizon to see what all the hype was. It feels like a brick in your hand with it's "not rounded" edges, it feels very poorly built (I hate slider phones. They acquire dirt, soot, sand, etc and grind eventually) and the keyboard...won't even start on it.

GMTA!

I was going to post "my review" of the Droid that I handled in Best Buy, but I would only be repeating your post.

The Droid is "Scudiness"! \