Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009

Comments

• Reply 41 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Speed trials...lol. You have been watching far too many tv ads. Its already been proven a long time ago Verizon has the fastest network and the larges 3G coverage. ATT also has the worst customer ratings.

Go have fun with your Droid. If you care so little about the iPhone or ATTs network, why are you posting on this? Also, you don't know me or what I do with my time. I don't watch TV ads, I have a DVR.
  • Reply 42 of 278
    Quote:

Yeah grabbing a quote from 1943 in regard to technology. That sounds about right for you.

Seriously?

your reading comprehension is lacking if you don't see how he's applying that quote.
  • Reply 43 of 278
    Cue the "Time is a dreadful publication" comments.

The iPhone hasn't changed much this year. It got faster and added a compass (as well as some long needed software features). Apple tends to come up with a great idea, then spend a lot of time refining it. Although it will likely be superseded by next month's hottest phone, the Droid is at least 'new' for 2009. Plus the navigation feature seemed pretty cool.

Plus, I'd rather my iPhone become more of a standalone device than tied to software like iTunes, and it is for the most part... except for when the battery runs out. The Lala acquisition will hopefully move more stuff to the web, reducing its iTunes reliance.
  • Reply 44 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It's not a pathetic talking point. Apple's commercial on the subject pretty much mirrors what I do in real life every day. I work for a very large software company and I depend on my iPhone every day for me to reach out to my customers and people in my company. iPhones in my company are fully supported for email and at the end of the month, will be fully supported for calendaring via CALDAV. I spend a lot of time on the phone as I travel and I'm always pulling up emails that someone I'm talking to asks me about, or attachments they want me to read (Word, PPT and Excel). If I had to hang up the phone every time I needed to do a data operation, I'd be pissing off a lot of people I talk to....either that or get a second phone.

The only time AT&T network is a real problem with this concerns the Edge network. If you're roaming on 3G and you enter an Edge zone, when you come back to 3G, most likely you can't reenter the ability to do data at all. In this case, the only way to fix this is to hang up and let the phone reconnect with the data network, then redial. I've done this in cases where I truly needed both and it's a pain.

Lastly, I think everyone agrees that Verizon's 3G network is far broader than AT&Ts, but AT&Ts is faster in limited markets. But I'd have to wonder if we'd all be talking about Verizon badly if its data network was burdened by 20 million iPhones. Verizon's overall data load has to be far smaller than AT&T's despite them having 8-9 million more customers. I don't like defending AT&T and their network problems...it's certainly real. But I doubt Verizon users would be gleefully happy if the same number of iPhone customers were on their network.

Well the fact is the Verizon network is burdened with 20 millon iPhones and I can't think of anyone that wants to deal with the EDGE network. Like you I work for a large IT company in fact one of the largest global companies so I could care less about something being 'cool" or how rounded the edges are, I need something that works all the time and works well all the time. Like most Apple products they make for good consumer products yet not for business.
  • Reply 45 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Seriously?

your reading comprehension is lacking if you don't see how he's applying that quote.

Of course. But its far better to make fun of him seeing he likes to follow people around the forum and say alot of nothing.
  • Reply 46 of 278
    google voice nuff said.
  • Reply 47 of 278
    Quote:

They are talking about the Droid hardware not the Verizon or ATT network. Most users could care less about simultaneous voice and data, its just become a pathetic talking point for ATT users. Verizons network blows away ATT.

Most users *couldn't* care less because they've never tried it. I can't stand having phone calls on EDGE because of that now.

Ten years ago most users *couldn't* care less about text because they could just call the person.
  • Reply 48 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

*yawn*

Seen it all before.

http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2009/...ion-benchmark/

http://palm.pdablast.com/articles/20...-Ranks-in.html

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. Then it's back to the drawing board for everyone else.

Yeah, maybe they'll add copy-paste, mms, tethering, external physical attachments, an apple-branded POS, or "speed" like last time.

Or maybe they'll really think out of the box and worry about the big ones: letting real apps on the phone (latitude, G voice), actual bluetooth, or gasp another way to get apps on the phone.
  • Reply 49 of 278
    Quote:

Of course. But its far better to make fun of him seeing he likes to follow people around the forum and say alot of nothing.

Funny, that's my impression of you!
  • Reply 50 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielDecker View Post

Go have fun with your Droid. If you care so little about the iPhone or ATTs network, why are you posting on this? Also, you don't know me or what I do with my time. I don't watch TV ads, I have a DVR.

I don't own a Droid but have have used one for an extended period of time. Why shouldn't I post on this? If I am wrong then show me these great speed trials that took place.
  • Reply 51 of 278
    Quote:

How does this explain your sad attempt at dismissing his quote based on the date?
  • Reply 52 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielDecker View Post

Funny, that's my impression of you!

Really with all of your 12 posts so far.
  • Reply 53 of 278
    Quote:

Most users *couldn't* care less because they've never tried it. I can't stand having phone calls on EDGE because of that now.

Ten years ago most users *couldn't* care less about text because they could just call the person.

He got grammar pwned! Nice.
  • Reply 54 of 278
    Quote:

Okay so ten years from now we can come back and see if this is still an issue on the Verizon network.
  • Reply 55 of 278
    Quote:

Okay so ten years from now we can come back and see if this is still an issue on the Verizon network.

Which will prove that ATT was ahead of the curve on something you said people wouldn't care about.
  • Reply 56 of 278
    Quote:

Okay. Thats how long you have had your head stuck up your ass?

Here's some free advice: (i) Grow up; (ii) Watch your language.
  • Reply 57 of 278
    ifoneifone Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Speed trials...lol. You have been watching far too many tv ads. Its already been proven a long time ago Verizon has the fastest network and the larges 3G coverage. ATT also has the worst customer ratings.

What r u talking about...? where is vzw faster than att???
  • Reply 58 of 278
    Quote:

Really with all of your 12 posts so far.

So post levels determine intelligence?

Could you thump your chest a little harder?

I can guarantee you that I have been in these forums longer than you. Just about everyday since sometime in 2000.

From your attitude, I would gather that a higher post count could lead to increased douche-like behavior, since we seem to be making assumptions about each other based on some meaningless number.
  • Reply 59 of 278
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Okay. Thats how long you have had your head stuck up your ass?

Yeah, real mature. What are you, 12? Maybe you should go join Teckstud.
  • Reply 60 of 278
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time magazine has named the Motorola Droid the No. 1 gadget of 2009 ...

what everyone seems to be forgetting is that Time is an irrelevant coffee table magazine now on the same level as USA Today, People, and Maxim. It's not a magazine that prints "the stories of our lives" anymore. It's just another crappy magazine and it doesn't even have a tech focus or anyone who writes for it that knows anything about product design.

In short, who cares?