Apple's Lala purchase price disputed, Kodak storewide sale, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Two competing outlets disagree on whether Apple paid $80 million or $17 million for the streaming music service Lala, Kodak is having a one-day 20 percent off sale, and Bento for iPhone reaches a milestone.

Lala purchase amount in question

Yesterday, Peter Kafka of MediaMemo cited multiple sources in stating an $80 million purchase price of Lala. Last week, it was confirmed that Apple purchased the streaming music service for an undisclosed sum.

But Tuesday, Michael Arrington of TechCrunch chimed in with his own, different side: He claims Lala was purchased for $17 million by Apple. In addition, because the company allegedly has $14 million in cash, that values the entire company at just $3 million.

"We also believe that LaLa was acquired mostly for the star engineering team and the awesome recent Google deal more than for the product," Arrington said. "iTunes in the cloud isn’t something we should hold our breath for. $3 million for top-of Google music results and a top team of engineers makes a lot of sense. $80 million not so much."

For his part, Kafka has not modified his original article.

Arrington's take also differs from at least one analyst, who has predicted that Apple's purchase of Lala will play a part in a cloud-based streaming service incorporated with iTunes. Such a system could allow iTunes content and purchases to be accessed easily on a number of devices.

Apple has not officially divulged any details on the purchase. So far, the company's only statement has been: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not comment on our purpose or plans."

Kodak store one-day-only sale

Tuesday only, Kodak is offering 20 percent off of everything in its store. The storewide discount includes digital cameras and video cameras, camera accessories, hardware, and printers.

Save more than $50 on the Kodak Easyshare Z1015 IS, $40 on an Easyshare W820 8-inch wireless digital picture frame, or $60 on an ESP 9 All-in-One Printer, just to name a few.

No special coupon code is needed to obtain your 20 percent discount upon purchase. Kodak's cameras all record in a Mac-friendly .MOV file format. The sale ends Tuesday evening.

iPhone Bento app sales top 100,000 in 6 months

FileMaker announced Tuesday that sales of its Bento application for the iPhone and iPod touch have crossed the six-figure threshold in its first six months of availability.

The $4.99 application aims to help users become organized and more efficient. It is an extension of Bento, the database application for Mac OS X. Bento for iPhone is created by FileMaker, a subsidiary of Apple.

"Whether they want to take client information with them on the road, track trip expenses, create To Do lists, manage membership lists, get in shape or plan events, people are enthusiastically embracing Bento for iPhone and iPod touch to organize their busy lives," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, marketing and services with FileMaker. "We released Bento for iPhone just last May, and it is already among the most popular productivity apps on the Apple App Store."

In September, FileMaker released Bento 3, bringing iPhoto integration to the application. It allows users to store information about photos and link them with contacts, projects, events, and other information within the software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Tuesday, Michael Arrington of TechCrunch chimed in with his own, different side: He claims Lala was purchased for $17 million by Apple. In addition, because the company allegedly has $14 million in cash, that values the entire company at just $3 million.

I thought $80 million was a little much.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Arrington said. [?] "$3 million for top-of Google music results and a top team of engineers makes a lot of sense. $80 million not so much."

That is hard to argue with.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Great ! Now we only have to look out for a decent accounts program, based on Filemaker, that can synchronize with the iPHONE and iPOD. That way we don't have to wait for the never "appearing saga" of a PocketQuicken for iPHONE application.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Bento for iPhone is a good idea that is poorly executed.

In classic Apple fashion the app lacks options and basic features.

It emphasizes simplicity over configurability.

It ends up being good for very simple things and poor for anything even moderately complex.

The Bento desktop app should be part of iWork and the iPhone app should be $0.99
  • Reply 5 of 19
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Somehow I no longer care about the LaLa story. Although I still cared enough to comment.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Well its such a close value its hard to figure out how much money they payed...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    So what's your douchebag name?

(Stick with me here...)

http://douchebagname.com/

Sorry, but someone went through all the trouble to set up this site, and it had to be said.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It ends up being good for very simple things and poor for anything even moderately complex.

Yeah, that sounds like the same issue they had with FileMaker for the Palm.

It could be so much more, but it's just lacking.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Tuesday only, Kodak is offering 20 percent off of everything in its store. The storewide discount includes digital cameras and video cameras, camera accessories, hardware, and printers.

I got myself a Kodak all in one printer, fax and scanner a few months back through a promotion.

Their ink prices are better and the prints last longer than others.

I've been quite happy with their results, although I don't think their inks are available in typical office type stores. So less markup.

I also had a 5 megapixel 10x zoom Kodak camera bought a few years back that still works very well and takes great pictures.

Combined with Apple's Aperture, I have produced some amazing 8 x 10's (max for a 5 megapixel) of our trip around the country a couple of years ago.

I wished 20 something megapixel cameras existed back then but they didn't.

Kodak does have a 16 megapxel camera for about $200 or so.

HP was my printer company of choice, until they bought out Compaq and tried to invade Apple's market. Also HP started the whole glossy screen computer business, you know how I feel about that.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The news reporting on this site is getting noticeably worse lately. A lot of articles needing correction within 24 hours.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    While I agree that $80 million sounds like a lot, is it common for a 3 million dollar company to have $14 million in cash?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So what's your douchebag name?

(Stick with me here...)

http://douchebagname.com/

Sorry, but someone went through all the trouble to set up this site, and it had to be said.

Love it!

Very clever.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The news reporting on this site is getting noticeably worse lately. A lot of articles needing correction within 24 hours.

There's not much you can do to avoid it, unless you're fine with waiting up to two days to post news, thus getting scooped early by other sites.

As long as corrections are issued it's fine, I think.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

HP started the whole glossy screen computer business, you know how I feel about that.

Which is funny, because HP makes one of the best mid-priced non-glossy displays around - using the same panel that's used in the 24" Apple Cinema Display, but non-glossy.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

While I agree that $80 million sounds like a lot, is it common for a 3 million dollar company to have $14 million in cash?

Depends on what your burn rate is. If they were a 50-person outfit and burning through $3MM/month, on the last of their start-up capital, then a $3MM buy-out is pretty reasonable as they were not generating a profit.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Bento is just a flat database, right? Never really understood the attraction to it or FileMaker; it doesn't seem to offer anything that MySQL can't do with a minimal amount of work (6 hours vs $600). Am I missing something?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I never understood why Kodak is so unpopular?

I've recently bought me an EasyShare C180 for $79, and other than having to use AA batteries and buy an SD card, I love it and it does what it is meant to do excellently.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The Bento desktop app should be part of iWork and the iPhone app should be $0.99

BENTO is a subset of Apples FILEMAKER PRO . and file maker pro is the strongest database SW in the world. its wins the codec award year after year .

'APPLE IS holding back on all this for some odd reason .

why apple would dumb down a SW program that EVEN i can make my own data bases with beyond me ??

When apple is ready yo unleash FILEMAKER PRO AND FILE MAKER PRO lite << benito >>

watch out .

just saying

peace 9
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Which is funny, because HP makes one of the best mid-priced non-glossy displays around - using the same panel that's used in the 24" Apple Cinema Display, but non-glossy.

Yea HP is listening to their customers better than Apple.