Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009

Comments

• Reply 121 of 278
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    In a sense I don’t disagree with Time choosing Droid over the iPhone, simply because the Droid is new and the iPhone (as a product line) is not. iPhone may be superior but in a sense it’s not a 2009 product and thus out of the running.

But I certainly wouldn’t say “best of all” in reference to Verizon’s inability to talk AND use the Internet at once. That is NOT “best of breed” 3G.

By the way, I have a good friend with a Droid. The verdict: awesome screen, voice-directed GPS is great, slow and confusing UI, terrible battery life, poor camera, poor browser (no pinch zoom) and bulky. It’s still pretty cool as a toy (and a fine GPS), but I don’t think I could stomach $30 a month for a data plan and not have a better experience than that.
  • Reply 122 of 278
    Ahh, this is why I rarely check out these forums. Pages and pages of whining whenever anyone chooses any product other than an Apple one for a "best" list.
  • Reply 123 of 278
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

...Apple needs to do multiple carriers. As long as the top carrier has a viable alternative like Droid, it's only going to get stronger in the market. Apple needs a deal with Verizon.

I agree that Apple needs to do multiple carriers, but with the bad blood between Verizon and AT&T (and Apple to a lesser extent), it doesn't look promising for a Verizon iPhone next year. Of course, I could be wrong and Apple may surprise all of us next summer.
  • Reply 124 of 278
    This is not a surprise. Ignoring the fact that Time Magazine is not a great source for judgment on new technology, this is looking at this year in particular. Thus, this would be judging iPhone 3GS innovation vs. iPhone 3G, not on a necessarily level playing field. So yes, Droid probably is more Innovative in its own right (especially seeing how it's on Verizon) than the iPhone is compared to previous iPhones, even if this is purely because nobody has been able to come out with a solution even remotely competitive with the iPhone. I would still never even consider a Droid, but some people are, so to each his own.
  • Reply 125 of 278
    Wow is that a list up for the highest bidder!
  • Reply 126 of 278
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EvilMole View Post

Ahh, this is why I rarely check out these forums. Pages and pages of whining whenever anyone chooses any product other than an Apple one for a "best" list.

Well, it is an Apple rumor site after all. Of course you're going to find a bunch of Apple fans over here. And yes, some may take things a little too seriously, but hey, that's human nature.
  • Reply 127 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This Time ranking is inexplicable. .

nope, I think it's explicable -- Times rankings must be for sale.
  • Reply 128 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I would however hardly say the Droid OS is looking sad. I used the Droid for about a week and its very good gen1 phone. Android will only get better, is not like the iPhone was perfect when it first came out. Far from it.

Definitely! That is just plain vanilla Android OS. After seeing what HTC has done on the Hero with their Sense GUI, I can say that the Android OS is far from sad as well. And on top of that, the Droid just got rooted. Here come the onslaught of customizable GUIs!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Droid's interface looks *different*. Might be part of the novelty, might not.

It's not that it just "looks" different. It is different. Three screen for live widgets. Live ticker-tape for your stocks, live Facebook and Twitter widgets that post automatically when you type in them, and many more. A simple drag-down menu for all your notifications. It's pulled away from having to press an icon to open an app to use it. The ones you constantly use are right there at the ready. Though the icon grid is still around in the form of that drag up menu. Is any of this coming for the iPhone in its next iteration?

What I'd like to see is how the HTC Bravo/Passion will change things in 2010. Better screen (AMOLED!), larger screen, faster processor, better body design (slimmer than the iPhone!)... All with the amazing Sense that the Hero has.
  • Reply 129 of 278
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

Wow is that a list up for the highest bidder!

Did you think Motorola and Verizon spent/will spend the Droids $100 million marketing campaign on TV ads only?

I am surprised that the Palm Pre, which everyone was the second most talked about phone in 2009, is not the first. But I guess poor Palm don't have what it takes ($$$$$).
  • Reply 130 of 278
    Geez, how completely ridiculous. Time has no clue. The iPhone 3GS, together with the App Store, is a far more compelling product. I fee so sorry for the poor consumer who actually takes Time's advice and buys a Droid. So sad for them.
  • Reply 131 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just like "man of the year" doesn't mean "best man of the year", the "Number one gadget" doesn't mean the "best gadget." I would tend to agree with Time, that the Android is a far more important gadget this year than the 3GS.

EXACTLY. Doesn't say the Android is better than the 3GS, but that the Android made more of a stir than the 3GS this year. (As for the fan thing? I never heard about it.)

What really gets me, is the backlash I see on this site. Who cares if TIME decided to name Android the gadget of the year? If you like your iPhone, than that should be enough for you. Seeing how many people this little bit is getting under their skin makes me sad inside. Criticism is good, and competition is good. It means that Apple can (hopefully) launch a stir causing phone next year!

Please folks, keep it in perspective! Take it all in stride. If you are proud in the company you spend money on, then be humble with things like this, and continue to be proud. An article that says something like this doesn't mean your product is all the sudden not your favorite (at least I hope not). If it however makes you feel that all the sudden you may be "un-cool" for liking Apple, then you should seek help. Don't be sour losers. You didn't loose anything!
  • Reply 132 of 278
    Quote:

"Motorola then portrays its Droid as a fast, efficient device that isn't worried about looks."

Thus, the Droid's nerd-appeal.
  • Reply 133 of 278
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

EXACTLY. Doesn't say the Android is better than the 3GS, but that the Android made more of a stir than the 3GS this year. (As for the fan thing? I never heard about it.)

What really gets me, is the backlash I see on this site. Who cares if TIME decided to name Android the gadget of the year? If you like your iPhone, than that should be enough for you. Seeing how many people this little bit is getting under their skin makes me sad inside. Criticism is good, and competition is good. It means that Apple can (hopefully) launch a stir causing phone next year!

Please folks, keep it in perspective! Take it all in stride. If you are proud in the company you spend money on, then be humble with things like this, and continue to be proud. An article that says something like this doesn't mean your product is all the sudden not your favorite (at least I hope not). If it however makes you feel that all the sudden you may be "un-cool" for liking Apple, then you should seek help. Don't be sour losers. You didn't loose anything!

The Palm Pre made most stir this year than the Droid. Everyone was talking about the Pre since the day it was announced in January 2009. Believe me it is all about who pays more and has nothing to do with logic.
  • Reply 134 of 278
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    The Palm Pre had more buzz than the Droid, where is the Pre on the list?
  • Reply 135 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thank you, you beat me to it. It is hard to take seriously anyone saying 'could care less' meaning the opposite lol.

Both forms of usage are correct. Check any usage reference source. (We go through this about once every six months on this Forum!).
  • Reply 136 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Very well said.

But had TIME given the #1 spot to the iPhone 3GS, there would be almost none of the backlash and nothing but praise for the ranking.
  • Reply 137 of 278
    I think this souhld shed some light on the perepsctive we might take when thinking about this

From TIME's list:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...945379,00.html

1. Motorola Droid: Everybody likes Android, Google's open-source smartphone operating system. But a smartphone operating system isn't all that satisfying without an actual kick-ass smartphone wrapped around it. Now Android has one: The Droid is a hefty beast, a metal behemoth without the gloss and finish of the iPhone, but you don't miss it. The Droid's touchscreen is phenomenally sharp and vivid, it has an actual physical (not great, but good enough) keyboard, and best of all, the Droid is on Verizon's best-of-breed 3G network. It's Android's first credible challenge to the iPhone. Price: $300.

2. The Nook

3. Dyson Air Multiplier

4. iPhone 3GS: Take the iPhone. Make it faster. There, you're done. Yes, the 3GS has a better camera — with video. And it has a compass and voice control. Those are all improvements over the original. But the main point of, and the best thing about, the new iPhone is speed. It has more of it. Period. Price: $200 to $300.

5. Canon EOS-1D Mark IV

6. Dell Adamo XPS

7. FinePix Real 3D W1

8. Casio G-Shock GW7900B-1

9. Beats Solo by Dr. Dre

10. Panasonic G10 Series Plasma HDTVs
  • Reply 138 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EvilMole View Post

Did you happen to notice this is not called DroidInsider? (Btw, do they even have something like that?).
  • Reply 139 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Very well said.

But had TIME given the #1 spot to the iPhone 3GS, there would be almost none of the backlash and nothing but praise for the ranking.

See above!
  • Reply 140 of 278
    I believe the iPhone got the #1 spot in 2007.