Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I used to do it manually and it was a total pain, invariably things break and it just takes a LONG time. In the space of a few hours Migration Assistant does ALL that work and, I believe, attempts to relink applications to supporting files and folders.

It's well worth cloning your hard drive and running it. I just got a 1TB LaCie quad interface hard drive for $139. I partition it and try to clone my hard drive once a week. Just in case. I can also boot with the cloned drive if I need to.

I already have a time machine, and it only takes me 2-3 hours to reinstall OS X and just reinstall the apps using my method. I prefer a clean setup when I do a reinstall, rather than copying over old prefs and app data.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

hi there!

i had some problems with snowy myself, but managed to resolve them (or at least most of it) by a quick look on the Console. i saw that most of the error /warning messages came from safari, specially from SIMBL plugin manager. so i went to their page and updated it for the Snowy version. also, i cleand my left-over folders in library/app support for plugins such as ad blocker & safariblock that conflicted on ad blocking and cleared on prefrences the overlaping features of safariblock and clicktoflash on flash frames. every time one of these issues appeared, (a flash to block, a ad to block) safari had a warning message that he had "doubts" on which plugin applied.

Check you console and update your safari plugins managers and clean your library folder. i found out that it made a hell of a difference. i managed to stop all of the beach balls and hangs by updating Simbl. now managed to get old Mac OS speed and responsiveness again.

This looks like something for me to try at home tonight or tomorrow night. I've noticed quite a few beachballs in Safari, so hopefully this will fix me up.

I'd also like to say thanks to the guy who posted the link to the Windoze driver for the Magic Mouse. I'll definitely be checking that out in the next day or so also.

Finally, on the 10.7 and 10.8 name thing... Maybe Apple will take a similar approach to the last two releases...

10.7 Lion

10.8 Mountain Lion
  • Reply 63 of 97
    All I want from this update is a fix for the USB mess in SL!!

My externals HDs randomly disconnect!!

Also fix the issue with burning discs in SL.

I have a new Late '09 21.5" iMac and I have trouble burning discs

and it's pissing me off!!!

enuff ranting for now.....
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

How about Mac OS 10.7 "Fatlazy"?

10.7 'Hairball'
  • Reply 65 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

I'm with you on that one. I've also had a handful of hard crashes with USB warnings!

The other thing I get is?

IF I TR±Y typing ±THIN±GS IN CAPIT±ALS, IT INSERTS plus/minus symbols when holding down the SHIFT KE±Y.

Maybe if i try to dump the keyboard prefs?
  • Reply 66 of 97
    Quote:

I noticed the same thing on my oldschool iMac. Thought it was something wrong with the media. How does Apple screw up something that's worked since what? 10.0?

Pathetic.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    Quote:

Also fix the issue with burning discs in SL.

enuff ranting for now.....

I use external USB HD's rather extensively and have never experienced this issue. Are there any other reports of the same issues? I wonder if yours are specific to your hardware, or a general SL issue.

On your burning issue, you should also look to your media. That is a more likely cause, not to say that there isn't something wrong with your drive.
  • Reply 68 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I use external USB HD's rather extensively and have never experienced this issue. Are there any other reports of the same issues? I wonder if yours are specific to your hardware, or a general SL issue.

On your burning issue, you should also look to your media. That is a more likely cause, not to say that there isn't something wrong with your drive.

I have no problem with the media on my late '08 macbook or my G4 eMac running 10.5.8.

Now just a quick note... This is my 3rd 21.5" iMac in the past month (dead pixel issues)

and they had all the same problems durning discs.

Not just in Toast 10, but in Disk Utility also!!

Now... is it a hardware issue or an OS issue??

I'm holding off upgrading my Macbook to SL until these issues are corrected...
  • Reply 69 of 97
    All I really want is support for Camera RAW for my 7D. If no Aperture updates, please at least let me use my camera with the software I have, Apple? Sigh.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    sure would be nice if the 64 but version of iTunes was included ! What do you all think ?
  • Reply 71 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post

sure would be nice if the 64 but version of iTunes was included ! What do you all think ?

Not gonna happen. iTunes is updated seperately from the OS. Plus, moving from Carbon to Cocoa to support 64-bit is a pretty big undertaking that requires a complete rewrite all with their share of growing pains. I think next fall at the iPod Special Event I when we can expact iTunes X to arrive.
  • Reply 72 of 97
    Quote:

I have no problem with the media on my late '08 macbook or my G4 eMac running 10.5.8.

Now just a quick note... This is my 3rd 21.5" iMac in the past month (dead pixel issues)

and they had all the same problems durning discs.

Not just in Toast 10, but in Disk Utility also!!

Now... is it a hardware issue or an OS issue??

I'm holding off upgrading my Macbook to SL until these issues are corrected...

The only way to be sure would be to install 10.5 on them after you see an issue on 10.6, to see if your issues disappear. It would be the first thing I would try. You could always just drop a partition along side the existing and just install on the new partition. That way you can just delete it when your done

rEFIit makes it extremely easy to pick your boot partition with a nice gui. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

I know there were complaints of optical hardware failures after the upgrade. They weren't sure if it was due to the excess use of the drive during the upgrade or what but it caused an actual drive failure. If the problem continues, even after putting 10.5 back on, then your optical drive is bad.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:

I vote for Cheshire for the next 'cat' name.

In other news... MS in a shocking move will now begin to mimimc the Apple use of cat code name for their next iterations of the Windows OS. They have copyrighted "Windows 8 (ate) Garfield" as they next version of windows promises to be fat, bloated, and just a bit slow and lazy...

Haaahahahhahahahahahahahahahah

Thumbs up man!! One of the best jokes I've heard!!!

• Reply 74 of 97
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I'm with you on that one. I've also had a handful of hard crashes with USB warnings!

These. Snow Leopard is a no-go for me until the issue is fixed.
  • Reply 75 of 97
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

A couple quickies...

I'd like to be able to easily send large emails right from the comfort of Mail. Secondly, I'd like to be able to send encrypted emails that the recipient could open with a password.

Resolution independence would be nice with this huge monitor.

I'm waiting for that too!! That would come handy especially considering teh fact that Apple is more and more popular in business markets. That woudl really help. Also, if iChat could have encrypted chats and conversation like in Skype, it would be really great!
  • Reply 76 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

I'm waiting for that too!! That would come handy especially considering teh fact that Apple is more and more popular in business markets. That woudl really help. Also, if iChat could have encrypted chats and conversation like in Skype, it would be really great!

iChat does do encrypted chats, and screen sharing is encrypted as well. That is all done through MobileMe, however, so it's not free.
  • Reply 77 of 97
    Please fix:

1) Samba in/out issues...with incoming to 10.6 being most critical for me as now XBMC from my AppleTV can no longer connect.

2) Apple Remote issues where my remote paired to my ATV (and not paired to the mini w/10.6) will still launch iTunes and Frontrow. Candlair worked up to 10.6.2 but no longer.

3) Permissions issues on some files being able to copy back & forth

and,

4) I've heard a lot about X3100 video issues
  • Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

iChat does do encrypted chats, and screen sharing is encrypted as well. That is all done through MobileMe, however, so it's not free.

Screen Sharing is free. You can either use the network wizard to connect to another Mac using VNC://computername or just use the /System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app

For remoting and connecting to a Windows PC, you can download the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Client.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:

Screen Sharing is free. You can either use the network wizard to connect to another Mac using VNC://computername or just use the /System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app

For remoting and connecting to a Windows PC, you can download the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Client.

Sorry for being unclear. It's the encryption that MobileMe handles, which means not free.

iChat does desktop sharing, too, for free. It's fast too, I love that feature. It automatically connects a voice chat while you are connected to someone else's screen too, which is sweet.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Sorry for being unclear. It's the encryption that MobileMe handles, which means not free.

iChat does desktop sharing, too, for free. It's fast too, I love that feature. It automatically connects a voice chat while you are connected to someone else's screen too, which is sweet.

The iChat sharing just uses the screen sharing.app I provided the path for above. Saves people the hassle of having to open iChat if they just want a sharing session