Tablet rumors: February production start, 10-inch LCD screen

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

you automatically lose for using the word "guestimate"

How long does a word need to be in circulation before it’s okay to used? Is 75 years long enough?
  • Reply 62 of 113
    This:

Quote:

When Apple released the very first iPod it cost $500, and people screamed that it was doomed because there was no market for MP3 players. Apple knows how to create a new market.

Also, this:

Quote:

Netbooks that actually work and actually sell in the marketplace are really more in the 600-800 price range.

SJ has pretty much admitted "we don't want to build a sub-$500 computer because we don't know how to make one that isn't crap"

I'm betting this thing will be a game-changer and that post-release all these people hollering about "it's just not worth it" or "a tablet is USELESS" will be proven that they have no clue what they're talking about.

And okay sure e-ink is nice and all, but a good LED screen kicks it out of the park. Seriously, what are you people even TALKING about - most of you numbskulls trumpeting about e-readers freaking read on your LED or LCD screens ALL DAY LONG - vis a vis this forum, your Outlook email at work, the internet, documents, spreadsheets, etc, etc, etc... The iPhone / Touch only doesn't work well as a reader because it is too small, period. Hell I can even read fluently on mine outside in the sun using the Kindle app. So, given proper sizing and good backlighting I'd much rather read a lit screen than e-ink, especially in bed at night. Having to read with a light on sucks. Honestly in this day and age, stepping back a decade in technology to use a standalone, basically crippled device as a reader, I'm sorry, is just as useless to me as a crappy netbook. I've seen the kindle, seen the nook and they're niche products that will go the way of the Palmpilot and Newton because they're hobbled. They work great for old people like my mom who hate computers anyhow, but believe me no mobile professional's going to willingly buy another large clumsy device that only does one thing.

Okay so e-ink/reader rant aside, back to the tablet: None of us knows what it's going to do until we see the thing, speculation from industry trolls aside. I'm a longtime Windows user but even I can admit that Apple definitely has a way of pulling the rug out from under the market. iPod? iPhone? anyone? bueller?

Sure they've dabbled in devices before that didn't really take off, however I see things like the macbook air and maybe even apple TV as sort of niche market research devices (and even the iPhone) leading up to the development of this "next-generation" device (the tablet).

I'm betting this new device will somehow seamlessly incorporate wireless netbook surfing + 3G broadband connection for data/videoconferencing + iTunes streaming capability for audio/video + ereader subscriptions functionality plus multitouch and stylus input for typing/drawing/note taking AND photo editing, and very likely something entirely new and unprecedented like, oh I dunno it'll stream stuff via your .mac account (lala acquisition anyone?) or you can control your whole home media setup through it or goodness only knows. Whatever it is, I'm thinking it's a complete game changer along the same vein as the iPod was to kick off the 2000s.

And just like prior to the iPhone release, I'm willing to bet all the naysayers on here trumpeting about "ZOMG its too expensive!!!111" will be the first ones in line on release day to shell out for it.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chano View Post

....and another thing. It's about the form factor stupid! What does a form factor of 10" screen tell you? An in-between device spanning the 3.5" to 13" gap. A device you carry like a book or mag. More screen than a phone and optimised for e-books/mags. Possible plug in handset. Usable anywhere from bedroom to boardroom, from bus to toilet (His Steveness mentioned that) and portable enough for most, if not pocketable. In short...perfect for casual info accessing rather than computing.

In the future everyone will start wearing baggy pants with big pockets so they can carry their iTablets.

Apple will then introduce a line of fine Italian leather pants for $1000.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    How, exactly, are people determining what's a fair price when they don't know what it is, what it does, or even if it will exist?
  • Reply 65 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 25+ years on a Mac View Post

Why would anyone want to buy the tablet for $1000? I'd rather buy a MacBook for that price. If it's in the typical netbook price range, say $400-600, then I'd consider purchasing it.

I'm hoping it'll be less as well ($400-$800), but this device may be more attractive than you think. Apple has had a knack of delivering compelling devices and I believe this won't be much different. They won't just come out with your typical tablet, netbook or eBook reader. I believe this could revolutionize all of those markets if this thing will do what I think it'll do.
  • Reply 66 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post

This:

I'm betting this new device will somehow seamlessly incorporate wireless netbook surfing + 3G broadband connection for data/videoconferencing + iTunes streaming capability for audio/video + ereader subscriptions functionality plus multitouch and stylus input for typing/drawing/note taking AND photo editing, and very likely something entirely new and unprecedented like, oh I dunno it'll stream stuff via your .mac account (lala acquisition anyone?) or you can control your whole home media setup through it or goodness only knows. Whatever it is, I'm thinking it's a complete game changer along the same vein as the iPod was to kick off the 2000s.

Worthy speculations. In answer to the questions of 'where's the market?', I say:

1. Users of college textbooks (and some high-schoolers also)

2. Casual web-browsing at home

3. Reading in bed, on the couch, while on the bus or train, in a car, in the park, & anywhere

4. Anyone who takes notes or accesses data on-the-go (this includes every health care professional, inventory or sales manager, anyone who isn't desk-bound.

5. Casual gamers

6. Movies downloaded or streamed.

7. Creative types who like to sketch, draw, design or write without being tied down.

And just so no-one can say I didn't stick my neck out, here's a prediction: this market will grow to rival and eventually exceed notebooks, i.e. it will become the dominant computing segment.
  • Reply 67 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

1k, stop yer bitchin an don't buy it.

We bitch because we care about Apple and its products.

"Stop your bitchin and don't buy it" is what earned Chrysler and GM their place on government life support.

Enough people finally didn't buy it....

Perhaps an Apple tablet would be a potential blockbuster, but unless it packs some serious usability, $1000 is simply too expensive.
  • Reply 68 of 113
    Blah Blah Blah about the iPad being a failure

We had cookers/stoves before we had microwaves, yet the latter are central to our lives. Before we had toilet paper we used leaves; before we had beds, we slept on the ground. None of that has changed; we still eat. poop and sleep. So yeah, the iTablet/iPad (I like that term better) isn't gonna be any different...or is it?

Say goodbye to 15-25 pounds of heavy books in your back pack.

Watch the lecture that you'd have otherwise missed because you're sick with the flu and participate in class with the built in iChat

Watch TV live

no more piles of magazines lying around waiting to be read

It will take the market two years to realise the significance of the iPad

I'm betting it will be huge
  • Reply 69 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

Blah Blah Blah about the iPad being a failure

We had cookers/stoves before we had microwaves, yet the latter are central to our lives. Before we had toilet paper we used leaves; before we had beds, we slept on the ground. None of that has changed; we still eat. poop and sleep. So yeah, the iTablet/iPad (I like that term better) isn't gonna be any different...or is it?

Say goodbye to 15-25 pounds of heavy books in your back pack.

Watch the lecture that you'd have otherwise missed because you're sick with the flu and participate in class with the built in iChat

Watch TV live

no more piles of magazines lying around waiting to be read

It will take the market two years to realise the significance of the iPad

I'm betting it will be huge

If it is huge, rest assure there will be a lot of people assuring us that what Apple did was obvious and inevitable, and merely an evolution of long existent tech, so that the sudden appearance of many similar devices on the market should in no way be attributed to Apple being innovative or a market leader.

These, of course, will be the same people who are currently assuring us that the world has no use for such a device.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.
  • Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If it is huge, rest assure there will be a lot of people assuring us that what Apple did was obvious and inevitable, and merely an evolution of long existent tech, so that the sudden appearance of many similar devices on the market should in no way be attributed to Apple being innovative or a market leader.

These, of course, will be the same people who are currently assuring us that the world has no use for such a device.

This is a corollary to a great quote from years back: "Nothing has been invented until Microsoft says it has."

Wish I could remember the source. Maybe Nick Petreley.
  • Reply 72 of 113
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

So Apple is building a tablet then - oh, good.

What is that?

• Reply 73 of 113
    prediction: this will be an "advanced" iPod touch with a 10.1 inch screen and at least 100GB memory with advanced ebook features galore and optional data service from verizon wireless/sprint with a $600-$800 price point.
  • Reply 74 of 113
    prediction: this will be an iPod touch with a 10.1 inch screen and at least 100GB memory with advanced ebook features galore and optional data service from verizon wireless/sprint with a $600-$800 price point.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Just another analyst talking. I believe it when I see it.

Just another analyst who forgot to take his tablets.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

How, exactly, are people determining what's a fair price when they don't know what it is, what it does, or even if it will exist?

Rumors and speculations. Mainly speculation, and mostly vague on the feature set.
  • Reply 77 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How long does a word need to be in circulation before it?s okay to used? Is 75 years long enough?

its just a pointless bullshit word. An estimation is a guess, and educated one. What the hell is a guesstimation?

People have been using "irregardless" in Boston for years, and that doesn't give it credence as a useful word.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

its just a pointless bullshit word. An estimation is a guess, and educated one. What the hell is a guesstimation?

People have been using "irregardless" in Boston for years, and that doesn't give it credence as a useful word.

The mot common definitions of each term usually have estimation as a rough calculation while a guess is an estimation without sufficient information to be sure. A guesstimation is usually somewhere in between. Irregardless, it?s been in a part of the lexicon and in the dictionary so there is no need getting upset by a word. The best option you have is to simply not use it yourself.

Irregardless on the other hand is listed as an incorrect, illogical usage of regardless despite its origins possibly being more rational. I personally don?t use either, and would only slight someone for impreoper using for the latter term but on this forum neither is unacceptable providing we understand the context of the dialogue.
  • Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Irregardless on the other hand is listed as an incorrect, illogical usage of regardless despite its origins possibly being more rational. I personally don?t use either, and would only slight someone for impreoper using for the latter term but on this forum neither is unacceptable providing we understand the context of the dialogue.

This word does sound like fingernails on a blackboard whenever I hear it used, but the word is not really incorrect, it's just not a widely accepted usage in written English. Annoying as it is, a great deal more clearly grammatically incorrect usage has crept into both spoken and written English than this. One of my pet peeves is the use of "hopefully" to mean "I hope" when it actually means "with hope." This word is used more often incorrectly than correctly anymore, to the point where editors don't seem to catch it a lot of the time.
  • Reply 80 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This word does sound like fingernails on a blackboard whenever I hear it used, but the word is not really incorrect, it's just not a widely accepted usage in written English. Annoying as it is, a great deal more clearly grammatically incorrect usage has crept into both spoken and written English than this. One of my pet peeves is the use of "hopefully" to mean "I hope" when it actually means "with hope." This word is used more often incorrectly than correctly anymore, to the point where editors don't seem to catch it a lot of the time.

I don't see the problem. Isn't being "with hope" and using "hopefully" the equivalent of using the 1st-person "I hope"?